Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Focus: Build
Starting to spray two 200 jumbos I've been working on for a year or so. Need opinions (and finishing schedules) about the necks. One, Flamed Maple laminated w Meranti. The other is a Martin Mahogany second. I've got Truoil, matte Osmo or the lacquer that is going on the bodies. Both are double tendon per Sylvan Wells. I'm leaning toward the Osmo but wondering if I should used more than one coat.
Also, going flat with the lacquer using cornstarch in the last coats. Chris, you said to use a "pinch". Is that a 1/4 teaspoon, a teaspoon or what? idunno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
The process I’ve used with Osmo is from Josh House @ House Guitars - https://youtu.be/mfdZWVTNyzE

I followed it exactly except that I didn’t porefill. I love the feel of it but it is sure not ding resistant at all. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: CarlD (Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I have used Osmo over fingerboards and tail pieces that were pore filled with CA. They feel indestructible. Whether they are or not, I don't know. I do know that's the way I'm going from now on. With just CA they are more slippery. Without CA they can nick up. I have Osmo everywhere on my Stauffer; even the Spanish Cedar neck, so on par with the Mahogany. You can ding it. I use thin CA for at least the first couple coats, then fill stubborn holes with medium.
The Osmo I rub it on, and rub it off twice. It is very thin, but you can feel the difference. The Osmo won't sink in as deeply as on fresh wood, but it will stay on, and the CA makes it tougher. You can add more Osmo any time you clean it up, and you think you need more. A smudge on your finger will do. Buff with a rag, or paper towel.
So I have done Osmo on necks; but not over CA.
I have done Osmo over CA, just not on a neck.
Seems like a perfect match.
I had Zpozy on my archtop neck, and I keep sanding it off. It moves around, gets rough feeling. Oil on my fingers? Furniture and door mouldings melt too. The Stauffer neck is fine. I should give it the CA Osmo treatment.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: CarlD (Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
Also, going flat with the lacquer using cornstarch in the last coats. Chris, you said to use a "pinch". Is that a 1/4 teaspoon, a teaspoon or what?

Carl - a literal pinch. Remember, you can add more - but you can't subtract. And when it's all done, clean out your gun really well. Good luck!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: CarlD (Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:13 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
CarlD wrote:
Starting to spray two 200 jumbos I've been working on for a year or so. Need opinions (and finishing schedules) about the necks. One, Flamed Maple laminated w Meranti. The other is a Martin Mahogany second. I've got Truoil, matte Osmo or the lacquer that is going on the bodies. Both are double tendon per Sylvan Wells. I'm leaning toward the Osmo but wondering if I should used more than one coat.
Also, going flat with the lacquer using cornstarch in the last coats. Chris, you said to use a "pinch". Is that a 1/4 teaspoon, a teaspoon or what? idunno

Its the "idunno" part that can cause you issues. Mohawk sells a flattening paste with specific instructions on volumetric ratios. I just went through this process. Came out great. Start with normal lacquer until you have your desired build. Let it cure. Level sand, check for problems, repair. Then apply 2-3 coats of flattened lacquer. Then 0000 steel wool and you are done (thanks John Hall for that part).

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: CarlD (Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:26 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
I'm going to follow Josh's video to finish the necks. Ordered some 1101 Osmo for the first coat. Gonna add some TransTint on the Flamed Maple to pop its grain - got lots of scraps for testing. Hope it works.
A pinch to grow an inch.... :lol: laughing6-hehe .