Official Luthiers Forum!

Solely owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
Mahogany
Mahogany

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 pm
Posts: 78
First name: Benjamin
Last Name: Marn
City: Brookfield
State: WI
Zip/Postal Code: 53005
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
So I am currently collecting materials to build my dream guitar, a fully custom D-45, and I thought I might post this to see where I could find the top wood for it. What I am looking for is a quartersawn, straight grained, no runout, old growth, uniform color, billet split, piece of Adirondack Red Spruce. To put it short, I am looking for the perfect piece of Adirondack Spruce. If anyone has ever heard of John Arnold and his Smokies Adi Spruce, I am looking for stuff like that, even better if possible. As for the progress on this guitar in general, I already have the old growth jet black Madagascar Ebony fingerboard blank, and I am currently saving up money for the back and sides, and the mammoth ivory billet for the binding, nut, bridge pins, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:44 am
Posts: 3142
Check out the suppliers in the links above. A few months back I got some split billet Adi from A.Hix above and while it was not master grade it's some pretty nice stuff.



These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am
Posts: 5138
Location: Southeast US
City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Country: US
Focus: Build
You could always ask John to see if he has any left.

_________________
Steve Smith
"Music is what feelings sound like"



These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:49 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:27 pm
Posts: 1906
Location: South Carolina
First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Yep... John is still around. Also check The Hampton Brothers... They have been cutting Red Spruce with John Arnold...



These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am
Posts: 5138
Location: Southeast US
City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Country: US
Focus: Build
Hamptons may be a better bet. Here's a link to their ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Hampton-Brothers-Guitars?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

_________________
Steve Smith
"Music is what feelings sound like"



These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:34 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:17 am
Posts: 655
Location: United States
These guys have never disappointed me.
http://www.adirondackspruce.com/guitar-wood/



These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 am
Posts: 2531
Quite familiar with the late Ted Davis, John's partner. I used to use his red spruce (what you call adi). Used to get fallen trees, maybe 1-2/year. Don't know what the Hamptons do as far as cutting fresh or taking fallen.
Old Standard wood probably has the best, but you will pay through the nose for it.

http://www.adirondackspruce.com/

Switched to a cutter many years ago in Rhode Island and was totally satisfied with his red spruce, but I used A or B grade. Triple A, no runout, tight grain, quartered for a dread-knot is almost guaranteed to cost you a small fortune.
Just out of curiosity, how many guitars have you built? Mammoth ivory binding?!? wow7-eyes

_________________
J. Brentrup Guitars & Mandolins
http://www.brentrup.com



These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 1235
Location: Seattle WA
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
I got a Master Grade for a dread from Old Standard years ago for a commission that has been put on the back burner. Thankfully he paid for it upfront. It is REALLY nice. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, but if he ends up wanting to cancel that, it might be for sale! I bought about 10 tops from them and they were all super stiff and rang like a bell. Just cosmetically different.



These users thanked the author pat macaluso for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:21 pm
Posts: 2441
Location: Alexandria MN
I have bought mainly from Old Standard and have been pleased.

How many instruments have you built?

_________________
It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you do know that's wrong.



These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Marn99 (Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline
Mahogany
Mahogany

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 pm
Posts: 78
First name: Benjamin
Last Name: Marn
City: Brookfield
State: WI
Zip/Postal Code: 53005
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Haans wrote:
Quite familiar with the late Ted Davis, John's partner. I used to use his red spruce (what you call adi). Used to get fallen trees, maybe 1-2/year. Don't know what the Hamptons do as far as cutting fresh or taking fallen.
Old Standard wood probably has the best, but you will pay through the nose for it.

http://www.adirondackspruce.com/

Switched to a cutter many years ago in Rhode Island and was totally satisfied with his red spruce, but I used A or B grade. Triple A, no runout, tight grain, quartered for a dread-knot is almost guaranteed to cost you a small fortune.
Just out of curiosity, how many guitars have you built? Mammoth ivory binding?!? wow7-eyes

I am currently working on my second guitar, but my dream guitar on the other hand, is a long term project, I am talking 10+ years. I decided to start collecting the material for it now considering high quality tonewoods have gotten rarer and rarer, and will only continue to get rarer. All in all, the materials for this will cost me a bit less than a boring East Indian Rosewood Martin made D-45. As for the mammoth ivory binding, I was able to track someone down who has Mammoth ivory in lengths long enough to have a continuous strip from bottom centerline to top centerline, ie, 2 strips on the top, 2 on the back. It will perhaps be the most expensive part of this instrument but Mammoth ivory isn't hard to bend, in fact, I have read that it is easier to bend than Elephant ivory, something I would never use for obvious ethical reasons, not even pre ban stuff.



These users thanked the author Marn99 for the post: Hesh (Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:25 pm
Posts: 7173
Location: United States
Try David Smith. He has had some fantastic Red Spruce in the past.

Smith Creek Mandolin and Tonewood
David Smith
46 Summer St.
Westerly, RI 02891
401-787-6302
email: dave@smithcreekmandolin.com

_________________
"I want to know what kind of pickups Vince Gill uses in his Tele, because if I had those, as good of a player as I am, I'm sure I could make it sound like that.
Only badly."



These users thanked the author Don Williams for the post: Marn99 (Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 9827
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Marn99 wrote:
It will perhaps be the most expensive part of this instrument but Mammoth ivory isn't hard to bend, in fact, I have read that it is easier to bend than Elephant ivory, something I would never use for obvious ethical reasons, not even pre ban stuff.


Good to hear and thanks for caring!



These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): jfmckenna (Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm) • Marn99 (Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 pm
Posts: 221
Location: Canada
Old Standard is my 'go to'. I don't mind paying for that kind of quality.
Usually exceeds my expectations



These users thanked the author bftobin for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: Andersonville
State: Tennessee
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
Hampton Brothers, I have the luxury of dropping in and.......digging and thumpin my way through the pile :mrgreen:



These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 am 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 2438
First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Country: usa
Focus: Build
Status: Professional
old standard in fulton mo , got some adi brace stock , suitable for making smaller instruments



These users thanked the author ernie for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 am
Posts: 2531
Don Williams wrote:
Try David Smith. He has had some fantastic Red Spruce in the past.

Smith Creek Mandolin and Tonewood
David Smith
46 Summer St.
Westerly, RI 02891
401-787-6302
email: dave@smithcreekmandolin.com


Ya spilled the beans, Don. :)
I always liked his WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) on the website. He also does beautiful CNC work for archtop and mandolin plates. He always did right by me.

_________________
J. Brentrup Guitars & Mandolins
http://www.brentrup.com



These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 1378
First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Pamplin
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23958
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Lately Allied has had some ridiculously tight grain Adi, some of the nicest I’ve seen. Could be a little silkier but I’m not complaining. What are you using for the B&S?



These users thanked the author fingerstyle1978 for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:25 pm
Posts: 7173
Location: United States
Haans wrote:
Don Williams wrote:
Try David Smith. He has had some fantastic Red Spruce in the past.

Smith Creek Mandolin and Tonewood
David Smith
46 Summer St.
Westerly, RI 02891
401-787-6302
email: dave@smithcreekmandolin.com


Ya spilled the beans, Don. :)
I always liked his WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) on the website. He also does beautiful CNC work for archtop and mandolin plates. He always did right by me.


And he's a good guy. Lives like 30 minutes from me. He has some great wood...

_________________
"I want to know what kind of pickups Vince Gill uses in his Tele, because if I had those, as good of a player as I am, I'm sure I could make it sound like that.
Only badly."



These users thanked the author Don Williams for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am 
Offline
Mahogany
Mahogany

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 pm
Posts: 78
First name: Benjamin
Last Name: Marn
City: Brookfield
State: WI
Zip/Postal Code: 53005
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
fingerstyle1978 wrote:
Lately Allied has had some ridiculously tight grain Adi, some of the nicest I’ve seen. Could be a little silkier but I’m not complaining. What are you using for the B&S?

Back and sides are going to be Bois De Rose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 2139
"It will perhaps be the most expensive part of this instrument but Mammoth ivory isn't hard to bend, in fact, I have read that it is easier to bend than Elephant ivory, "

I've softened mammoth ivory with phosphoric acid. You can bend it over a form and re-harden it with decrepitated (heated) table salt .
I used the inner dentin parts of the tusk to make a pickguard and will try my hand at making binding at some point in the future The dentin from the tusk I have is a dark mottled tortoise color. I have read that you can also splice short pieces together to make up binding, which is what I will attempt to do.



These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:00 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 1378
First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Pamplin
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23958
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Marn99 wrote:
fingerstyle1978 wrote:
Lately Allied has had some ridiculously tight grain Adi, some of the nicest I’ve seen. Could be a little silkier but I’m not complaining. What are you using for the B&S?

Back and sides are going to be Bois De Rose.


We have very similar taste other than the shape of this guitar to be [:Y:] . My dream guitar build is also going to be Boise de Rose and Adirondack Spruce. It will be tastefully decked out in abalone and in the shape of a SJ or OM. Probably OM since that is my original design and I've been very happy with it. That's a ways off though, I'm finishing off a bunch of others first. Good luck!



These users thanked the author fingerstyle1978 for the post: Marn99 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:00 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 1378
First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Pamplin
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23958
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Also is this your first build?



These users thanked the author fingerstyle1978 for the post: Marn99 (Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts: 2329
First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
I understand the wisdom in getting materials now for a far off project since you expect the prices to rise in the next 10 years. I just wanted to add some food for thought. Before I made my first guitar, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted my "dream guitar" to be once I built up the chops to pull it off. The more exposure I get to hand/custom made instruments the more my tastes evolve. If I sat down to lay out my "dream guitar" today, it would be nothing like what I thought I wanted. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I no longer have an ideal guitar in my head; there are just too many flavors to enjoy. But I don't see myself ever making the guitar I thought I wanted back then.

_________________
Bryan Bear PMoMC

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.



These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post (total 4): RogerC108 (Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am) • Marn99 (Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 am) • CharlieT (Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm) • Haans (Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:03 am
Posts: 1737
Location: Litchfield MI
Focus: Build
Status: Professional
Bryan Bear wrote:
I understand the wisdom in getting materials now for a far off project since you expect the prices to rise in the next 10 years. I just wanted to add some food for thought. Before I made my first guitar, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted my "dream guitar" to be once I built up the chops to pull it off. The more exposure I get to hand/custom made instruments the more my tastes evolve. If I sat down to lay out my "dream guitar" today, it would be nothing like what I thought I wanted. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I no longer have an ideal guitar in my head; there are just too many flavors to enjoy. But I don't see myself ever making the guitar I thought I wanted back then.


Ditto

_________________
Ken Cierp

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 1235
Location: Seattle WA
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
kencierp wrote:
Bryan Bear wrote:
I understand the wisdom in getting materials now for a far off project since you expect the prices to rise in the next 10 years. I just wanted to add some food for thought. Before I made my first guitar, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted my "dream guitar" to be once I built up the chops to pull it off. The more exposure I get to hand/custom made instruments the more my tastes evolve. If I sat down to lay out my "dream guitar" today, it would be nothing like what I thought I wanted. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I no longer have an ideal guitar in my head; there are just too many flavors to enjoy. But I don't see myself ever making the guitar I thought I wanted back then.


Ditto
Thrice


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dave White and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB customization services by 2by2host.com