Post subject: dehumidifier suggestion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I had a dehumidifier before but sold it because it was dead weight and I felt an A/C worked as a dehumidifier. Well now that I build Acoustics and while doing electrics I never paid any attention to controlling RH. Now the RH in my room would get to around 45% on a dry winter but would get as high as 80% (or more!) when it's rainy summer. The A/C works to tame the RH but in the winter I wouldn't want to run the A/C and it's not even that effective (can lower it by 15%) unless I run it continuously which would put a big dent in my wallet when it comes time to pay the electric bill. So I think I am getting a dehumidifier to help and also to make winter and summer feel much better without running the A/C all the time. Any suggestions as to what to look for when buying a dehumidifier? I am looking at used ones because I don't like to spend a lot of money...

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:14 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Tai Fu my friend I have had an small GoldStar dehumidifier (30 pint per day) for a couple of years and it's worked well for me. My friend Waddy had an LG and had a bad experience with it. I can't remember but either GoldStar or LG is the parent of the other so they are related companies.

I can tell you some things that may be helpful to you. If you have a floor drain available where you build it's helpful to have a dehumidifier that you can hook a hose to and plumb it to the drain. Mine is set-up this way and as such I do not have to empty the thing manually.

Also they do generate heat and in my last 110 square foot shop my dehumidifier raised the temp 3-4 degrees in the summer and I was running air conditioning too.

Lastly a quiet one is preferable over a loud one and if you have the opportunity to turn a few of them on in the store and compare noise levels I would not hesitate to do so. It's the kind of noise that tends to get on one's nerves.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I have been looking online lately and some advertise 6 liters a day if the temperature is 27C and RH is 60%, or 12 liters a day if the temperature is 30C and RH is 80%. I don't know if I should get something bigger (like more than 8 liters a day minimum) for my room, it's not really too big though. Taiwan is humid all the time. I have also seen some units that comes with heater for winter use...

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com