It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Clamp Help Needed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm about to purchase some spring clamps and a few "Fast Acting" clamps (I usually call them "F" clamps because they are kind of shaped like an F). Here's a link to the "Fast Acting":
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 3850,44647

What I want to know is.... what jaw depth is most useful? I have a feeling 2 1/2" isn't deep enough but I could be wrong. These clamps will primarily be used to hold things down to my bench, secure my bending iron to the bench, etc..... What's a good minimum jaw depth? I'm away right now so I can't measure things.

On to the spring clamps!!! This is a tricky one! Like all other clamps, I need a ton of them and they cost an arm and a leg each!! :) I saw a box of 100 for cheap some place but they were small and I was afraid that they would wind up being too small to use on anything! Two questions about the spring clamps:
1. Are plastic ones (Bessey) inferior to metal ones (pony, etc...)?
2. What size do I need? What should the throat size be if I will be using the spring clamps to glue kerfing inside of an archtop build? This also might apply to the classical build I plan on doing some time in the future.

Like I said.... I'm away from my workbench and my wood. I would give measurements to you guys if I could. As far as kerfing goes, I'm almost positive I have the kind with the traditional "half triangle" shape. I wish I could measure it. What size spring clamps are good for kerfing? Is a 1" throat too small? I have a feeling it is. Thanks!
-John

Post subject: Re: Clamp Help Needed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
For lining clamps there are sort of two choices, so far as I see it. You can go low-end and use 'boosted' clothespins (add an elastic around them to boost clamping strength) or the little black clips you use to hold stacks of paper together. Those are both cheap, but they work. The high-end option is that John Watkins sells some nice extruded aluminum clips specifically made for this task.

On spring clamps the material is irrelevant. I've got plastic ones and metal ones. I don't use them for many things, so I only have some number less than twenty of them around.

I used to use 'quick' clamps for a lot of things (the F shaped ones), but as of late I don't really use them at all. I have three big bar clamps (the ones that hold everything flat: like http://grizzly.com/products/12-Cabinet-Master-Bar-Clamp/H5316) that I use for clamping up plates and I use C-clamps for everything else. The C clamps give me more clamping power, and I got a bunch of 6" ones on sale for $4 each or so (so I bought all the store had and pre-bought their next shipment :) ). You can probably get away with 4" ones, but I like having a little extra just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Bob. Some interesting options you presented there.
What about the clearance for installing the kerfing? A spring clamp with a 1" throat is probably too small, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:55 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

get 8 6". 8 12" and 4 24". you never have enough

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've recently restocked on bar clamps, so I've done the research.

There's a good deal here from Garrett Wade, with 3" jaws:
http://www.garrettwade.com/12-in-fast-c ... 5R08ddd01/

You can get the price down to about $3-4/clamp for Chinese made cheapies on Ebay. For most purposes, a cheap clamp does the job. But when they don't, it's very annoying. Where I'm currently finding the price and quality sweet spot is on the Besseys with the clutch plates and black wrinkle finish, like these on sale from Woodcraft. Better clamp at a lower price than the ones you were seeing on Lee Valley:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5572

2-1/2" jaws and 12" length are about the handiest, but you will need at least a few with 5" or so jaws, and a couple with 24" bars. Those Besseys are a good deal. They are easier to use than the Bessey Tradesman clamps, and have better swivels. I don't have the Garretts, but if I was starting from 0, I'd try a set of them.

The plastic spring clamps are better than the metal ones. They have swiveling jaws that glue doesn't stick to. Get lots of them in all sizes.

However many clamps you think you will need, you will need more than that.

When all else fails, clean the shop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

Those Howard posted the link for from Garrett Wade are great clamps at a super price. I bought a dozen about a year ago and just ordered another dozen. I know several other builders that have them and haven't heard anyone that was not pleased.

Joe