Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

The other major shareholder in the domestic corporation has authorized the expenditure of funds on a practice amp. This will be the first capital investment of this nature for this shareholder (me), and he really doesn't have much experience upon which to base a decision.

The projected budget should try and stay at $150 or less.

While doing the market research, certain products keep appearing, but the reviews are basically meaningless as anybody inclined to write wither loves or hates the product. I stopped into one music store today and when I asked for a general description of the sound of the Marshall MG15DFX, I was told, "Well, it sounds like a Marshall". "Great, I said. What does that mean? For example, my Dodge van drives like a Dodge!" He got it that I had no reference.

I'm not looking for perfect, but I do want good tone and solid value. Not something that I'll have regrets over. I know its only $100-150, but still I want my "first" to be something that I'll remember fondly...

I want something that will play acoustic fairly well, blues and jazz. That sort of sound. I'm NOT going to play metal or start shredding, etc.

So far my short list is:
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Traynor DG15
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III 15

One trial, my salesman said that he has a hard time selling the Vox, so doesn't even stock it. It's received lots of good reviews, but how can I choose for or against it if I can't even try it out?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Honestly, none of those would make my shortlist for the music you described. I even have the Marshall MG15cdr (same amp but with a cd player input). Its a great amp..probably the best on the list for price and value. But consider a Epiphone Valve Jr combo (all tube class A) or the new Fender Champ 500 or something like that. Both well under $200. Both tube driven and warm sounding. Both can do nice clean sounds or cranked up a bit will distort for raw blues etc. Nice small amps that are easy to carry and will store under a bed or in a closet.

Just my 2cents.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

btw: the marshall amp sounds nothing like a real marshall. I also have a 70's JMP marshall and they have nothing in common. In this case, that is good for you. THe little amp is more versitle, but still not my first choice for accoustic, jazz or blues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15... mine is the previous edition without the reverb. I used it in my college dorm room when I was in school. It's a great little amp. Keep in mind that while this amp isn't going to sound like an AC, it sounds really good for what it is. If the controls and outputs are the same, it will even drive a 4 X 12 cabinet with no problem. You'll like it!

John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'd also suggest you try the Epiphone valve junior , great sounding cheap valve combo. Only downside is that its got no master volume.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:35 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks for the suggestions. The Valve Junior and the Super Champ have been suggested to me, but where I live, the prices for those amps are significantly higher than my budget. Rest assured that I will still check them out!

The list that I provided above is by no means set in stone, its just a compilation of the likely choices that are readily available in the local stores. I still have to go in and try them out, but I just want to have a short list of what will be under consideration.

And I'm fully aware of the limitations of a practice amp. It is not, and never will be, the equal of a full blown performance amp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:18 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I don't have an opinion on the other models since I haven't tried them but I do have the Marshall MG15DFX and have to say that it sounds nothing like my TSL 100 head but it is very good for the money.

I also have a Roland microcube which, for it's size, is the meanest amp I've heard.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am 
Walnut
Walnut

With regards to a small amp I just bought the new fender champ 600 it looks good in its two tone cabinet [not that that matters a whole lot] but it sounds great in my living room. It's atube amp and carries the fender crunchie sound when you dig in and plays nice and clean when you play soft.So far it's my favorite small amp with the exception of a early 1950's Gibson but alas some one came into my house when I was not there and has borrowed it for a long time now [I hope he brings it back soon. Anyway the 600 is under 200.00 and if you go to a shareholders meeting and plead your case or maybe write her a love song your budget may be extended.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

I also recommend the Fender Champ 600. It's a great little amp with tube warmth. I play my acoustics and harmonica thru it and love it. Plus it can grow with you. You can add a separate speaker cabinet when you are ready for more sound, I use mine to drive a cabinet with 2, 12" speakers and it's dynamite. You can also add pedals down the line to add reverb or echo etc. You can upgrade the tubes at a later date and I also modded mine with a kit from a guy in England, bought on ebay.

And retro good looks as well!
So, it's a great starter tube amp that can grow with you. I love it!

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
lachrimae wrote:
I don't have an opinion on the other models since I haven't tried them but I do have the Marshall MG15DFX and have to say that it sounds nothing like my TSL 100 head but it is very good for the money.

I also have a Roland microcube which, for it's size, is the meanest amp I've heard.

Good luck.

Similarly on the others. I can concur on the MicroCube, though. Every musician who's toyed around with mine for a few minutes has bought one or has it on deck :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I am going to suggest the Line-6. Why? Because amp modeling is just too cool.

Until recently I had a Twin and ran a Line-6 modeler through it and loved it. Although I have never played with this Line-6 model I think that amp modeling is something that you will appreciate especially when you have various musical tastes and only one amp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

I'm going to agree with the amp modeling thoughts...it is just way too cool...for fairly little money one can get a whole array of sounds which will rock your boat if you are not 'experienced'!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey, Thanks everybody! With all the advice its all much clearer now. gaah

The Fender Superchamp 600 is, indeed, very appealing. The price remains an issue. Even the Ebay offers work out to about $280-290 CDN, well above the budget. Maybe later.

While I'm not intimidated by a DIY project, I have to limit the number of new projects being added to my to-do list. There are already some mighty big projects on the list!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
Filippo Morelli wrote:
BTW, check out eBay for the Fender Champ 600 ... one guy is selling them for $160 and free shipping. Sounds in your price range and it will show up on your doorstep.

Maybe a bit off track but relevant - I agree on the amp modeling. The Line6 stuff is cool. The UX2 model allows phantom mikes as well, in case you want to go from microphones instead pickup.

You can also build your own tube amp ... there are kits out there, schematics, et cetera ... if you are the type. I built my own 5e3 Fender Tweed Deluxe and it was a treat to build it. I'm not sure what can be built for $150, but you might look if that kind of project interests you.

Filippo

How much did you build the tweed for? Got any pics?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A good friend of mine built a tweed deluxe .. by the time it was done with premo parts it was pretty close to a grand Cdn....

My shop amp is a Vox Valvetronix .. the small one, has a single 8 inch speaker and 12ax7 in the pre, it has 11 amp models plus effects, 2 memories, and is plenty loud too ... i saw one at a shop in Mississauga for 199... a number of clients who have been over wanted to know if I would sell it !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Are any of these amps you guys are talking about designed for acoustic guitars? I am not particularly knowledgeable about amps in general, but I don't recall seeing any of these mentioned or reviewed in places I would look for info on acoustic guitar amplification, such as AG magazine. Marshall, Vox, Fender Champ, Roland Microcube, etc... aren't these all electric guitar amps?

...Or are you guys finding you can get good acoustic guitar tone out of amps designed for electric guitars?

...Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, Douglas.

I have a Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr, which is designed for acoustic guitars, and which I'm very happy with. If you can find one used within your budget, I'd recommend it.

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'll add my vote for the Roland MicroCube.

Way out of your budget, but for the guys who like modeling---YouTube "Axe-FX".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mike O'Melia wrote:
How much did you build the tweed for? Got any pics?

Mike

It's not my intention to answer for Filippo, but you should be able to build one, not including cabinet for $400 or less. Trinity Amps has an excellent kit for $400 including tubes. It's a very simple circuit. You should be able to get into the amp with a good cab and speaker for $600.

http://trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 am 
Koa
Koa

Tony, this one? Vox Valvetronix VT15

I just looked it up and it seems like it would be great!

Fillipo, I've been looking at the used offerings, but the good stuff is rare, there is a lot of junk, and you really have to know exactly what you're looking for.

Todd, ever since I was a kid I've wanted an electric guitar, so I'm looking for my first amp so that I can build my first electric guitar. I'm just looking for a good place to start, and right now the choices are bewildering. My request for help is to clear up a little what I'm looking at/for.

My parents never got me one when I told them that and when I was taking lessons. Then I got discouraged and quite, my interests went on to other things when I started getting some money. Then University, marriage, first house, kids. You know the story.

And I just dumped a pile of money into my basement, gutting it and doing a complete rebuild, took the family on a significant trip last summer, need a new car, my eldest just started university...so my budget for my first amp is slim.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Roland micro-cube. Check Ebay.

When all else fails, clean the shop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

The list for a champ 600 is 170.00 CDN new.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
Todd Rose wrote:
Are any of these amps you guys are talking about designed for acoustic guitars? I am not particularly knowledgeable about amps in general, but I don't recall seeing any of these mentioned or reviewed in places I would look for info on acoustic guitar amplification, such as AG magazine. Marshall, Vox, Fender Champ, Roland Microcube, etc... aren't these all electric guitar amps?

...Or are you guys finding you can get good acoustic guitar tone out of amps designed for electric guitars?

...Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, Douglas.

I have a Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr, which is designed for acoustic guitars, and which I'm very happy with. If you can find one used within your budget, I'd recommend it.

Todd does ask a good question... one I was reluctant to ask... but we do have an electric forum now, and it would seem to me that this would get more relavent replies there. None of these are acoustic amps. Doesn't mean I don't want a tweed though!!!!! [:Y:] (I have one of those California acoustic amps. Love it. Combine it with a modeler like the GNX 3000 and you are having fun)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 am 
Koa
Koa

That Line 6 amp has the best tone of the little practice amps, IMHO.

It has nothing to do with the amp modeling, and I'm not normally a Line 6 fan. But that little amp has a great sound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Okay, Douglas, so you're looking for an electric guitar amp, not an acoustic guitar amp. However, since you said in your original post that you "want something that will play acoustic fairly well", I would caution you not to expect to get anything approaching decent acoustic guitar tone from any of these amps, until proven otherwise. Maybe one of these can do that with modeling, I don't know.

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have the older version of the VT15 - the new one has 22 models, mine has only 11. still a pretty cool amp though. Not really good at acoustic (its OK, feedback prone), but its good for checking PUs in the shop.