PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:41 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Bouchie
City: Manchester
State: New Hampshire
Focus: Build
I've finally gotten started on this guitar. It's going to be an L-00 since I really like that size. However, the last one I made had a 12 fret neck on the 14 fret body and I absolutely love the thing. I wish I didn't have to give it to the friend for whom I built it. So, I thought I'd duplicate it only using local woods. I live in Manchester, NH, which has lots of old mill buildings, some of which date back to the 1830's. The top for this guitar came from a white pine beam that was removed from the Pandora Mill when they renovated it about six years ago. Tom Thiel of Northwind Tonewoods eventually ended up with a few of the beams from the mill that are suitable for tonewood. Here's his web page about it. http://www.northwindtonewood.com/library-pandora-pine.html

I purchased one of the tops, which I thought would be cool to use for a local woods build. The trees I'm sure were cut up north of here in NH and then spent from about 1845 or so until 2008 as a beam in the mill. Since I've lived in the city since 1992, I thought that would definitely qualify as local to me and that it would be cool to use wood that's historical to this area.

For the back and sides, I've chosen a set of nicely figured Yellow Birch that I also purchased from Tom several years ago. It comes from Northern Maine, which is where I grew up. I thought I'd try to make the rest of the guitar out of woods that originated in Northern Maine or NH, which Tom was able to supply for me. I'll be using the Yellow Birch for the back and sides, Butternut for the blocks and linings, some Cherry for the neck and some Red Spruce for braces which all came from Maine. I'll be using Black Locust that came from NH for the bindings, back strip, bridge and headstock. I may also do a beveled cutaway using some of the Black Locust if I feel ambitious enough or think I have enough time. The fingerboard is some hophornbeam that came from Maine, too. It's a very light colored wood, so will be stained with Black Walnut hull tea stain. That means I'll be binding the fingerboard with some Black Walnut, which I know is local, too, but I'm not sure where Tom sourced that, but I think it was NH. The fingerboard binding is only to make the fingerboard easier to stain and won't really show that well once the stain is on. The rosette will be cut-offs from the back, just a simple Yellow Birch ring with some purfling lines around it. All the wood will come from NH or ME with the exception of the purfling lines. I'll be using black walnut and maple veneer for those and I have no idea where they came from before they got to Woodcraft in Portsmouth, NH. I hope that's local enough for everyone.

This guitar is also going to be used for the New England Luthiers group build. We are doing a local woods build, as well, that needs to be done about the same time as this one. It will be played on stage by Peter Mulvey and David Goodrich during the 3rd annual Meet Your Maker show at Club Passim in Cambridge, MA, in early November. I've had guitars in the first two shows and it's a very fun event. I'll be posting a few pictures shortly, too.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Okay, here goes. Last week I joined the top and back and got the sides ready to be bent. Hopefully, I'll get the rosette in and the sides bent this week. I'd like to get the box closed up in the next couple of weeks while the humidity is still below 45% without aid from my air conditioner and my dehumidifier. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that but these World Cup games are certainly a big distraction. So, here's some pictures of what I've done so far.

Matt

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Matt Bouchie for the post: gxs (Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: george
Last Name: s
Focus: Repair
I love the color and the figuring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
Matt,
I love your wood choices, and can't wait to see the final product... On another note, I can't believe Club Passim is still around. I used to hang out there in the mid 90's. Martin Sexton used to tear that place up!

Looking forward to the sound clip...

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Jaybird840 wrote:
On another note, I can't believe Club Passim is still around. I used to hang out there in the mid 90's. Martin Sexton used to tear that place up!

I used to go to the occasional show at Club Passim in the mid 90's as well but never saw Martin Sexton. Before the first Meet Your Maker show, I hadn't been there in 15 years or so. It hasn't changed much at all. The place sure does have a lot of history. I used to drive down to Boston/Cambridge/Somerville for concerts 2-4 times a week from the mid-90's until around 2003. I miss it but I don't miss being tired all day at work 2 or 3 times a week.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've gotten quite a bit of progress done on this guitar but haven't taken too many pictures. Due to an illness in my family, I've had to drive 6 hours up to Northern Maine quite frequently in the past few months. Anyway, when I've been working on the guitar, I wasn't thinking too much about taking pictures. I have taken a few, though, but not really any process shots. I'm not a very good photographer, though.

Matt

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Matt, can't wait to see it shined up!
Looking really good!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've gotten more work done on this guitar. However, not many pics to show for my work. Thanks to my Mom's battle with lung cancer (which so far appears to have been successful!), I wasn't able to consistently work on it and rarely thought to take pictures when I did. I've gotten to the point where I've put the finish on and am letting it sit for 2 weeks before I polish it up. I'll be working on making a bridge in the meantime out of a piece of black locust to match the bindings and the headstock. Here's a couple of pictures I took tonight. This is with 2 coats of Murdoch's Hard Sealer and 6 coats of Murdoch's Uralkyd 500.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Sorry to hear about your Mom's cancer, but glad that she is doing well.
Nice work on the guitar, Matt! The finish really makes the wood pop, and will look even better when you give it a buffing! I'm looking forward to seeing it strung up.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Looking Good! Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Hey, Matt,
That is really looking good. I don't believe I've ever seen white pine with silking. That's a showy piece of birch, too. I'm eager to see it assembled and strung up. Very nice work, man!
Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks guys. It's coming along pretty well. I'm hoping I make the deadline for both this build and the NEL build.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Rob
Last Name: Lak
State: Massachusetts
Looking great Matt.... can't wait to hear her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Just strung it up. It still needs a bit more set up work but it sounds really nice. I hope to have some recordings up in the not so distant future and possibly some better pictures.

L-00 12 fret (on a 14 fret body).

All wood except bridge plate and veneers for purfling was sourced from Tom Thiel at Northwind Tonewoods and all came from New Hampshire and Maine.

Top: White Pine salvaged from a beam removed during renovations of the Pandora Mill in Manchester, NH
Back & Sides: Yellow Birch from Northern Maine
Neck: Cherry
Fingerboard: Hop Hornbeam stained with a tea made from Black Walnut Hulls
Headplate: Black Locust
Bindings: Black Locust
Bridge: Black Locust
All Braces: Adirondack Spruce
Bridge Plate: Maple
Neck & Tail Blocks: Butternut
Linings: Butternut
Purfling: Walnut and Maple veneer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: joseph
Last Name: sallis
City: newcastle-upon-tyne
State: tyne and wear
Zip/Postal Code: ne46xe
Beautiful Guitar, Mat.

These users thanked the author Joe Sallis for the post: davecraig (Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:27 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:54 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Theo
Last Name: Delaca
City: Fbks
State: Ak
Zip/Postal Code: 99712
Wow, that yellow birch really pops. I like the pine top too, It's pretty cool to have such a history in the wood. Great looking guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks! A friend of mine just called it psychedelic. I don't know if it's quite psychedelic but it's been a very long time since I partook in anything to enhance something of that nature. Anyway, here's a couple of stories on the Pandora Mill that I found today.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2011/old-wood-160-year-pandora-mill-white-pine/

http://www.hippopress.com/read-article/return-to-pandora

The first one seems to just have what Tom has on his website while the second is more of a history of the mill.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Looks great Matt! Good luck with the concert tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks, Rob! You should get in on next year's build!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

The concert at Club Passim in Cambridge, MA, was last night. Peter Mulvey and David Goodrich got to play 10 of our guitars. Only 7 new local wood guitars were completed so to have a few more on stage, I was able to also bring my White Oak/Lutz Spruce 12 string from last year's show. Alan Carruth was able to bring a baritone and a harp guitar that he made a few years ago for Ken Bonfield, along with the Apple/Adirondack Spruce guitar he made for the concert. It was a little bit different than what we'd done in the past. When our guitars were played, we each went up to the right of the stage and told the crowd about the materials we used. Here's a shot of all the guitars on stage before the crowd got there. The two surrounding Alan's harp guitar are a 2013 Collings given to Goody by Chris Smither and a 1937 all Mahogany Martin Mulvey recently purchased.

Attachment:
IMG_1188.JPG

Here's a shot of Mulvey playing the Birch/Pine guitar while Goody played Alan's Apple/Adirondack guitar.

Attachment:
IMG_1191.JPG

Here's a shot of Mulvey playing my 12 string.

Attachment:
IMG_1192.JPG

Here's a shot of Goody playing the 12 string in the second set.

Attachment:
IMG_1200.JPG

A shot of Mulvey playing my Birch/Pine guitar. Goody played it on the song immediately prior to this one but I didn't get a shot of that.

Attachment:
IMG_1203.JPG

And the last song of the night was an old blues song with Goody again on my 12 string.

Attachment:
IMG_1205.JPG

It was a fun night and it was nice that both of my guitars were played 3 times each. Mulvey played the guitar for this build twice. and Goody played it once. All the guitars sounded fantastic and they were quite appreciative of them all, as they have been all three years we've done this. Mulvey struggled with the harp guitar and didn't really seem to know what to do with the sub-bass strings. Goody seemed to pick it up easier and played it as backing music while Mulvey read a short story to us. Last year Mulvey called my 12 string the "elephant in the room" so it was nice that someone else brought the guitar that threw them a bit. After the show, Goody was full of praise for my 12 string and asked me to bring it again next year. He really enjoyed playing it both years I've brought it. I don't think we are going to do a local woods build again next year, so maybe I'll make something a little more exotic.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:26 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Looks like a great time... but who WON? beehive

Seriously, it's been great to watch a couple of those come together. I'm continually amazed at the effort that goes into each guitar and at the level of creativity that just seems to flow out of the various builders.

Great work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well, thanks to the snow storm this past Wednesday that knocked out power all over New Hampshire, it's looking like I'm not going to get a sound clip up. I was going to head up to a friend's recording studio Friday but he is still without power. It's hard to run the board and the PC without any power. I have no means of getting a recording otherwise.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
Matt,
Don't sweat it... We will wait. The end of this challenge has become a bit less formal. I'd rather have good clips and pics from the three that finished so we can make an educated decision.

--Jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:40 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Very well done Matt!!!! She's a looker and I love L-OO's!!! [:Y:]