Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
Focus: Build
Hi All,

After input from the group and considering several personal messages that I received, here are the boundaries for the 2014 Local Woods Challenge Build:

1) You may build whatever type of musical instrument you like. This is an opportunity for you to either perfect a design you've been working on for a while, or to branch out and try something totally different. The overall theme of this build is to encourage creativity, and to hone aesthetic, design and construction skills. So build an acoustic, and electric, an oud, a bouzouki, a mandolin, a harp guitar, or whatever type of stringed instrument tickles your fancy.

2) The builders will be grouped into two groups.... Those who have completed two instruments or less, and those with three-plus completed builds. We could go on subdividing groups for hours, but I'be observed over the last few years that there are some fantastic builders with great skills that have only completed a handful of instruments.

3) Materials: This is called a local woods build for a reason--try to be creative! Build with materials grown as close to home as you can. After thinking extensively about it, I am not going to place any limits or geographic boundaries on the term "local." My home state of Texas has many varieties of hardwood that are suitable for backs/sides/necks, etc. but tonewood is a little scarce. So, if you need to go a state or two over to find something suitable for your build, feel free. ***Please document in your build thread where your materials came from so the voters can assess the value of your selections**** If you wish to try to convince the group that you live in Cleveland, but the closest woods you could find are Brazilian Rosewood and German Spruce...good luck. I have found this group to be rather astute, and I believe those who would try to push the boundaries will be sniffed out. I personally feel that repurposed wood taken from a local source is perfectly acceptable--old barn siding, church pews, rafters, or whatever. Just don't have it shipped from across the country.

4) Price limits: There are no limits on price. There really shouldn't need to be any--please build an instrument that you will be proud to keep, or sell if you are a professional. You may as well put the tuners on it that you want. I personally would never vote for an instrument based only on the hardware it was outfitted with. If you think it deserves Waverly tuners, go for it...

5) Duration: Building may commence immediately, and will conclude on October 31. This will give everyone ample opportunity to complete an instrument around whatever else they have going on.

6) Voting: I like the idea of being able to vote for more than one instrument. I think that would provide a more realistic ranking of the instruments. I will work with Lance to see if this is a possibility...

7) Documenation: I will start the first post for each of the builder's groups. If you decide to participate, please start your own thread with a descriptive name that identifies the thread as your own. Something like "Jaybird's Mesquite Parlor" lets others identify and track your build as you go. I will keep a running list of those participating in the first post of the thread. If you want to participate, please reply to that thread with an "I'm in."

8) Prizes: I will attempt to procure prizes for each of the builder's groups. I will update the thread when I have them.

That's all for now. Please enjoy yourselves immensely, and lets have a fun, competitive, and creative 2014 Challenge Build!

Sincerely,

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird840 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Corky
Last Name: Long
City: Mount Kisco
State: NY
OK, I'm in. I need a kick in the pants, to get my new shop up and running, and get started building SOMETHING.

Jay, clarification on one of your points above. When you say that repurposed wood is in bounds, I assume that you mean that repurposed "local" wood is OK. For example, milling up an old table to use some nice old black walnut (which is a local wood for me) is ok. Milling up an old table to reuse some Honduran Mahogany would not be according to the rules. Is that correct? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Whoa, that was a quick startup! I may still enter, but probably not, because I have a bunch of stuff in progress already that I want to get done before starting anything else. I also don't know if I'll be able to build in the summer due to humidity... but I'm going to get a dehumidifier and try, because I couldn't do anything this winter either due to the extreme cold and dryness.

If I do have time, I think I have an idea of what I might try...

Good luck to the entrants!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Hilko
Last Name: Nackaerts
I'm in! Was planning a build like this. Cool beans!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
Time is moving on! Remember, the end of the challenge is Oct 31 to be strung up. I will post instructions in each of the threads for submitting photos and soundclips. Finish those instruments!!

--Jay