Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:47 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Focus: Repair
I think, it's OK now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
String it up and let's see...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:41 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Rob2023 wrote:
I think, it's OK now.

I wouldn't think so judging from the pic. Remember that glue will not fill voids so what you see now is what you'll get.

Hesh gets great results with a scraper, but he has a lot of mileage under his belt. Although I too remove the bulk using scraper, I find it easier to finalize fit with sandpaper. FWIW, here's what I do, as many others do as well from what I gather. I stick wide low-tack tape on the top, then on top of it I stick 120 grit sandpaper (same style as what we use for frets, only coarser). Then I simply rub the bridge until it conforms precisely to the top without any wobble or visible gap.

You'll get a perfect fit this way, as well as painful fingers if you do it often enough. At least this old geezer finds it increasingly painful.

;-)

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I just wanted to let you know guys that your advice and suggestions
have not fallen on deaf ears and I will make every effort to make the job done properly. [:Y:]
Usually I’m a ‘it’s good enough’ person but in this case I need to change gears.
The bridge has to fit perfectly if I don’t want to watch it loosen again.

See you in few days!

These users thanked the author Rob2023 for the post: Hesh (Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:12 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Focus: Build
Smylight wrote:
joshnothing wrote:
Smylight wrote:
[quote="Hesh"]Some decent bolt-ons are the Godin line which includes Seagull, A & L and about four other brands.

Hey Hesh,

As you know I'm in Quebec, home of Godin, so I get to see a whole lot of them in my shop.

Sadly, they decided some years ago to go to a different, industrial process for their neck joints. It is a thick sandwich made of interlocking wood parts held together with a good measure of epoxy. Techs at Godin have advised me that the joint is not serviceable and the neck has to be sawn off and replaced if service is required.

I was also told that because the joint is SO strong, no reset should ever be needed. Talk about wishful thinking…

I have once tried dismantling one and it was a right nightmare; once the extension gets loose (after having fought the epoxy), the interlocked wood pieces inside still make sure you won't ever get the thing undone. Now I tell my poor customers that their Godin-made guitar is not serviceable when (not if) it finally needs a reset. But I will gladly welcome any hint from fellows who have discovered a way to save those guitars… short of sawing the neck off. ;-)

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Pierre, thanks for this information. Do you know what year approximately this change was made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what the tech guys at Godin tell me, post-2006 cannot be reset without sawing them off. I do see lots of those in need of a reset, sadly.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse[/quote]

Pierre is exactly right about the change to the Godin neck joint. I’ve seen them new from the music store needing a reset. The Godin tech I talked to (while calling about another Godin failure) was part of the R&D team that “designed” the joint with epoxy. He was quite proud of eliminating the need for a reset. Yeah, right.

BTW, the only indication that the instrument has the “improved” neck joint is the serial number — they otherwise look identical. Depending on the exact model, the changeover coincided almost exactly with the switch from 8-digit to 12-digit serial numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:12 pm) • Smylight (Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:13 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Rob2023 wrote:
I just wanted to let you know guys that your advice and suggestions
have not fallen on deaf ears and I will make every effort to make the job done properly. [:Y:]
Usually I’m a ‘it’s good enough’ person but in this case I need to change gears.
The bridge has to fit perfectly if I don’t want to watch it loosen again.

See you in few days!

You're doing fine my friend we are all here to learn and we are happy to help when we can. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:03 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi Guys!

So I’m done with the sanding.
The bridge fits the top of the guitar really tight now.
It’s not glued yet but I will do it tomorrow.

I had to sand the top in the area of the bridge as well
to make it more smooth and even.
As the result of it you can see now the wonderful texture of Madagascar Acacia ... muhahaha! laughing6-hehe

See you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:35 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I dunno it may be an optical illusion but that bridge sure continues to look crooked to me. The saddle slot is engineered to be crooked and further back on the bass side but the leading edge of the bridge should be 90 degrees to the centerline of the neck.