Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi all, what’s the key to stopping repairs to solid body electrics from ghosting through the finish? I ballsed up when routing a Strat body around the bridge hole so glued in a repair patch that fit pretty nicely although you could see the glue line. I used titebond to glue it in and then finished with sanding sealer, urethane base and pre-cat nitro clear. I let it cure for a few weeks before wet sanding and the repair was just slightly ghosting but didn’t take much to flat off. After polishing though the body was in the sun (only about 17 degrees C) and then cooled to about 10 degrees. The repair ghosted really badly to the extent you could feel it with your fingers. I have had to rub back to base coat to flat it off.

Brian Howard, I know you did a blog on that Strat you patched. Is the key just a nice tight fit to the patch?

Wondering if I re-finish the area is it just going to recur?

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
You need to give the wood and layers of finish time to do any shrinking before going to the next step. Glueing a patch or plug will introduce moisture which takes several days to evaporate.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
What kind of finish are you using, Bosco?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
What kind of finish are you using, Bosco?

Hey Chris, Pre-cat nitro clear and urethane base. Sealer is from the same line as the pre-cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Barry Daniels wrote:
You need to give the wood and layers of finish time to do any shrinking before going to the next step. Glueing a patch or plug will introduce moisture which takes several days to evaporate.

Hi Barry, it was months between patching and applying finish so unfortunately I don’t think that’s the issue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What do you mean by ghosting?

Assuming you mean blushing, 17 down to 10deg C is a bit cool. My guess is you have humidity issues during that cool off period. What is the RH like when you sprayed? If that's the case then Blush Eraser would probably work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Which way was the patch oriented?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

jfmckenna wrote:
What do you mean by ghosting?

Assuming you mean blushing, 17 down to 10deg C is a bit cool. My guess is you have humidity issues during that cool off period. What is the RH like when you sprayed? If that's the case then Blush Eraser would probably work.

The issue was that you can see and feel the outline of the repair. I think the plug was not only not tight enough but not seated properly and has shifted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
Which way was the patch oriented?

I clearly just did a lousy job fitting the plug and hoped that wicking CA into the imperfections would be sufficient. Life has once again schooled me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
Maybe you need an imaginative pickguard design?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, that gap can be problematic. You just feel the joint, or is the patch slightly proud?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
Yeah, that gap can be problematic. You just feel the joint, or is the patch slightly proud?

The patch wasn't proud but despite looking like it would glue up ok, the joint was suboptimal. I tried levelling it by wicking in super thin CA and levelling it but it continued to ghost through the finish, but then seemed to resolve itself even to the point of not really showing after I'd done the final polish. But then it got cold and not only could you see it but you could very noticeably feel it.

Anyway, I've made a jig having read Brian Howard's excellent blog http://howardguitars.blogspot.com/2015/01/originally-published-in-guitarmaker.html on a similar style repair, and will endeavour to do a better repair second time around. It's not that I don't enjoy stripping off $150 of new paint off a guitar, you understand?!

There's a general consensus that you can't do a repair without it ghosting, so veneering is the only safe bet but I see no reason a tight fitting insert would ghost any more than a body seam would. Brian's article seems to echo these.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
We all learn (and I've sure been to school) that CA is no shortcut to anything. Sometimes it's the adhesive that can do a job no other can, but let's please hold that thought. I've seen the effects of its lack of surface tension and invasive wicking enough to reassure myself to use it only as the right adhesive in the right place.

I wish somebody awarded degrees for attending these schools of unwanted experiences.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: gxs (Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:54 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

phavriluk wrote:
We all learn (and I've sure been to school) that CA is no shortcut to anything. Sometimes it's the adhesive that can do a job no other can, but let's please hold that thought. I've seen the effects of its lack of surface tension and invasive wicking enough to reassure myself to use it only as the right adhesive in the right place.

I wish somebody awarded degrees for attending these schools of unwanted experiences.

Me too! I have the distinct advantage under such circumstances of not depending on this as a source of income, but having done one commission which encountered significant unrelated paint issues (which turned out to be a fault with the paint) I got an unwanted insight into what that feels like.

Through all these mistakes I have learned to remind myself that I do this for fun, and it’s as much about the journey as it is the destination. Burning money on paint still irks me though!

In other news, as well as hopefully learning how to successfully perform such repairs without ghosting, I also came with a new easy way to strip lacquer off a guitar with minimal effort! I saturated a t-shirt in lacquer thinner, put the guitar body in side the shirt and then put the shirt in a non-reactive plastic bag in order to slow the evaporation and left it for an hour or so. Worked a treat!

Anyway, here’s my repair jig, copyright Brian Howard :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bosco, this might not be a comfort to you - but in 45 years at the bench, I can tell you there are occasional jobs and guitars that refuse to bend to our wills and talent. Just remember that for repairmen, there comes a time when it's no longer worth your time and mental energy. Sometimes you just have to call it good as it will get. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
Bosco, this might not be a comfort to you - but in 45 years at the bench, I can tell you there are occasional jobs and guitars that refuse to bend to our wills and talent. Just remember that for repairmen, there comes a time when it's no longer worth your time and mental energy. Sometimes you just have to call it good as it will get. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hey Chris, yeah I’m sure you’re right. This one is for my closest friend though and he has just sold his 59 Jazzmaster, 68 Jaguar and 63 Les Paul, because he didn’t think he’d ever play them after he has received my guitar. Be a shame to deliver him a POC under these circumstances!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:11 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

So I’ve completed my patch. Now it’s just routing the bridge aperture again and praying the repair is good enough to not ghost. It’s not perfect but it’s not too far off. I’m not sure I would have been able to get it any better without risking chasing my tail.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Now you're talking!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:44 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Just wonderful!

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Nicely done [THUMBS UP SIGN]

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:28 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Nare a ghost to be seen!

These users thanked the author Bosco Birdswood for the post: gxs (Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:57 pm)