All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Burn-in lacquer question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mark
Last Name: Gammell
State: NE
I got the kit from StewMac, and did a practice fix on an old Silverstone neck I have. The gouge I made was maybe 1/16" deep and 1/4" x 1/4". The fix went smoothly. I did it all in one shot, since all the instructions I could find didn't indicate otherwise. I over filled it a bit, used the hot knife to smooth it, let it sit for a day, level sanded it, and used about 4-5 coats of aerosol lacquer, a day between coats. After the last coat I let it sit for 10 days. I did the final sanding and buffing and it all looked so pretty.

Then I touched it and it left an impression. What the...? Should I have built up the burn-in a little at a time? Or should I have filled most of the ding with something else (wood dust & super glue?) and just used a thin layer for the burn in? It works pretty slick and looks great, but it'll have to be more durable than that to be useable.

Thanks.

Eric Cartman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
I am interested in this as well . I have the 99 Martin to work on and would love some one to feed back on this thread

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
I use burn in fills all the time. I have sticks from stew mac, Behlins and others and have never experienced what you have said. I suspect it is your rattle can lacquer, I used some Watco in a spray can for a small furniture repair and it took weeks before it wouldn't print.

Also, with the burn in sticks there is no need to wait more than a minute or two after filling to sand and finish.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: WudWerkr (Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:06 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Bill, was your impression a fingerprint? Or more on the order of a dimple in the repaired area? I'm sorry it happened to you, but I'll bet it'll fix pretty easily. Let's see what the rest of the finishers have to say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

cphanna wrote:
Bill, was your impression a fingerprint? Or more on the order of a dimple in the repaired area? I'm sorry it happened to you, but I'll bet it'll fix pretty easily. Let's see what the rest of the finishers have to say.

At first it was a fingerprint, then I just had to screw with it and I pressed lightly with my thumbnail. It's really soft. It doesn't do it outside of the repair area, where there's new lacquer. I'm gonna check my cans of lacquer ( I got 4 aerosol cans in a starter kit from-who else?- StewMac). If there's a batch number or some such I'll try a different can. If that is what's bad, it'll be the first anything I've gotten bad from them. I wanna get this figured out before I try it on a real guitar.

Eric Cartman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Any update on this thread . I just bought the burn in kit as well and have a Gibson I wish to use it on .............. sooooooo.........

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

WudWerkr wrote:
Any update on this thread . I just bought the burn in kit as well and have a Gibson I wish to use it on .............. sooooooo.........

No, nothing yet. I dug out the lacquer from the first go-round, but haven't gotten to refilling it yet. I should work on that tonight. Thanks for the nudge.

Eric Cartman

These users thanked the author Bill Braske for the post: WudWerkr (Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I got to it. It came out fine this time. I don't know what I did, but it didn't happen this time.

Now to get to work on the gigantic ding on the back of my Les Paul's neck. I dropped a nickel in it and I still haven't heard it hit the bottom.

Eric Cartman

These users thanked the author Bill Braske for the post: WudWerkr (Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 pm)