PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I feel the need to lighten the mood around here by making fun of the folks who pay us. Who's up for it?

I remember a bunch who misspoke or lacked understanding over the years in the store. It will probably take me awhile to dredge them all up.

At the height of the hair metal era, a kid came in with his guitar wanting "some hot pickups and a screaming bar" for his guitar. A WHAT? I finally figured out the kid wanted a Floyd Rose installed on his wretched little Teisco Del Ray. His face fell when I told him that not only was it going to cost a small fortune, but installing a Floyd on his Teisco was basically going to destroy it. I told him to save his money and buy a nice Ibanez or Fender off the floor with a whammy already installed. A year later, he did and loved it.

A teen came in with his P-bass copy and asked to have "his aperture adjusted". His face changed when I told him a camera had an aperture, but not his bass. "My friend said it needed to be adjusted because it was hard to play". OH. "You mean truss rod". As it turns out, the neck was straight, but the action was fairly high at the bridge. 5 minutes later I sent him off to lessons with a smile on his face.

A parent had purchased a worn out LP copy for his student at a pawn shop - paying way too much. The teacher told the kid to bring it me after his lesson to check it out. The tuners were shot, the bridge was eaten away by acid, it needed a new jack, etc. I quoted a price for new stuff, and his dad just blew up. "I bought that from so-and-so pawn and they told me it needed nothing". I stared at him for awhile and finally said, "You know they're called "gyp joints" for a reason". I sent him to our rental manager and the kid rented a nice Fender to learn on.

Another student, this time with a cheap acoustic. He wanted it tuned, so I tuned it up for him while he watched. Dad came in complaining, "Why can't they make these guitars stay in tune from the factory?". I turned to him and asked if he changed the tires and plugs on his car when they wore out. "Of course" he practically snorted. I said nothing while I continued to play. It took about 10 seconds for the light to dawn in Dad's brain. "Oh".

While her student was in lessons, a mother wandered the sales floor looking at guitars. She stopped in front a highly flamed Les Paul. "What's wrong with that wood?" "Nothing, it's gorgeous". She didn't understand, but looked at me for more... "It's highly figured and rare - very desirable". "It's not... broken?". I took pity on her. "Ma'am, that's a two thousand dollar guitar. It's not broken".

Let's hear your stuff.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 4): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:45 pm) • Hesh (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:39 am) • DanKirkland (Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:01 pm) • Durero (Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I'll tell two. They both involve my wife, not a customer. She walked into the shop one day while I was setting a neck. I had taken some angle measurements and written things down on a pad, trying to figure out just how much to take of the bottom of the heel. She looked at the pad and said "you're using math?"

She looked over my shoulder at this thing and said "looks like that combines the worst of a ukulele with everything tha'ts wrong with a banjo"

Attachment:
IMG_6970-1.jpg

I didn't offer to play it for her.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post (total 3): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:46 pm) • Hesh (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:40 am) • Durero (Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So she wasn't wrong.... either time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Some guy called me at 3 am back in the late 70's. I am sure he was high on something. He asked if I would inlay his extracted wisdom teeth into his fretboard for position markers. I needed the work, but I turned down that job.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 4): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:46 pm) • Hesh (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:40 am) • DanKirkland (Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:02 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:53 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Where do I start lol

I don't get alot of dumb stuff so much as tragic stuff where someone attempted their own repair and made things much much worse.

A recent one. Gentleman asks for the action to be 1/64 at both the low E and the high E on his acoustic so he could "get his bluegrass licks on". I politely declined the job.

Another one where a client wanted a "full restoration" which included according to him "replacing the top neck and back of the guitar and restoring it to original condition" I replied "wouldn't that make the only original parts of the guitar the sides?" What i didn't realize was that the instrument in question was an L50 that legitimately needed all those parts replaced from a car accident. I informed him it was totaled and he seemed to accept it.

A tragic one. A customer brought in a much maligned 1933 L00. He informed me he just got it back from a neck reset and wanted it setup. However the neck reset was not good and it needed to be reset properly. I informed him of this and he asked if I could just shave the saddle down. I explained that that wouldn't fix the problem and he left a little upset. I felt a little bad for the guy.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:48 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Fellow classical builder in Idaho, who is highly accomplished, built a no- holds-barred guitar for a customer in San Francisco. Customer wanted every bit of bling he could convince the builder to add, though the builder stayed within the bounds of "normal" classical bling. His requests for changes extended past the beginning of the build, which the builder had to put a stop to. It had very tasteful woods, purfling and an elegant, exquisite rosette. Customer wanted a custom BAM case and custom Rogers tuners. I saw and briefly played this guitar--it was flawless and a work of art. On delivery, customer told the builder that he knew too much about guitars to be able to accept it. No further explanation. Luckily, the builder didn't have to eat the $3,000 cost of the case and tuners.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:49 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
That square thing (bridge) is crooked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I remember a guy who expressed interest in the OMs I was building at the time. He was off to his weekly jam night and asked to take a completed one that I kept in the shop as a demonstrator model along to put it through its paces. I said yes.

A few hours later the phone rings and it’s the fella telling me he’s having an absolute blast with the axe and all his jam buddies agree it’s a real player. He asks to be reminded of the price and I quote him the (very modest) price I was charging at the time minus a 20% discount for it not being brand new.

“What?!” he cries. “You’re kidding me. This guitar has SERIOUS ISSUES.” He doesn’t elaborate, hangs up without saying another word and has a mutual acquaintance return the guitar.

Paranoid, I double check the guitar but action, relief, intonation etc are all good. There’s no cracks or damage, not even any significant scratches in the finish.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:49 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Nice to know you'll never see his smiling face again. Don't let the door hit you on the a**.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I was building a guitar for a guy once who I swear must have been reading Somogyi's book at the time. He kept trying to micromanage every part of the build based on what he read and would send me articles from Somogyi. There were so much dumb stuff said I cannot even account for all of it. Most of it was misinterpretation from what Somogyi said. I finally sent the guitar off to him and he returned it during the 3 day trial period saying basically that the guitar was too good and didn't have the sound that his ear was looking for. I just gave him a full refund because I never wanted to hear from the guy again. I think maybe he had like OCD or some personality disorder or something so I try not to be mean but he was a total PIA. I ended up selling the guitar in one week to someone who greatly appreciated it. In fact it got me to thinking I would never do commissioned work again but alas I am back at it.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:50 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
In the insurance business I think this is called 'adverse selection'. In guitars, somebody who can't be pleased with factory offerings manages to inflict himself on a luthier...

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

Years ago when I still lived in the city I worked out of my garage which opened right onto to sidewalk, no setback. When doing dusty stuff id open the roller door to get some ventilation. Some guy walked past and saw me sanding a body. I was facing away from the roller door. He walked right in off the street and leaned against the work bench and started talking at me.

I say “at me” instead of “to me” because no matter what I said, he’d nod as if taking it on board and then just keep on with whatever internal script he had as if I’d said nothing at all.

Still, he seemed keen on custom guitars so I thought maybe he’d become a customer. Eventually he said he wanted something built and laid out his vision:

A nylon strung, Torres-style fan braced DREADNOUGHT.

I declined the commission.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
joshnothing wrote:
Years ago when I still lived in the city I worked out of my garage which opened right onto to sidewalk, no setback. When doing dusty stuff id open the roller door to get some ventilation. Some guy walked past and saw me sanding a body. I was facing away from the roller door. He walked right in off the street and leaned against the work bench and started talking at me.

I say “at me” instead of “to me” because no matter what I said, he’d nod as if taking it on board and then just keep on with whatever internal script he had as if I’d said nothing at all.

Still, he seemed keen on custom guitars so I thought maybe he’d become a customer. Eventually he said he wanted something built and laid out his vision:

A nylon strung, Torres-style fan braced DREADNOUGHT.

I declined the commission.

Had to smile at this. Customer asked be for a nylon strung fan braced Jumbo guitar - here he is with it,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:52 pm) • Durero (Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:55 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:54 am 
Koa
Koa

Cool looking axe! How’s it sound?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

phavriluk wrote:
In the insurance business I think this is called 'adverse selection'. In guitars, somebody who can't be pleased with factory offerings manages to inflict himself on a luthier...

Precisely.

Do you know that Larry Robinson grew up very close to you, in Tariffville/Simsbury?
He grew up across the street from my wife's Aunt and Uncle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
Okay, I've got one...

The music store I do work for sent me a kit telecaster for a set up. I noticed that the owner of the guitar knew enough to drill holes through the body of the guitar to string it through. But they didn't realize a person could put ferrules in. Fair enough, no big deal. I talked him through what would be involved in installing ferrules and got the go ahead. This morning I began taking the guitar apart so I could set the body on the drill press and drill my holes. I took the screws out of the neck joint and to my delight the neck wouldn't budge. So I phoned the guy and asked him if he had glued the neck in, he said maybe. :)

I can still get my job done. But thought it was worth a share.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:54 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You didn't try loosening the neck, just to see how well he'd done?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Conor_Searl wrote:
Okay, I've got one...

The music store I do work for sent me a kit telecaster for a set up. I noticed that the owner of the guitar knew enough to drill holes through the body of the guitar to string it through. But they didn't realize a person could put ferrules in. Fair enough, no big deal. I talked him through what would be involved in installing ferrules and got the go ahead. This morning I began taking the guitar apart so I could set the body on the drill press and drill my holes. I took the screws out of the neck joint and to my delight the neck wouldn't budge. So I phoned the guy and asked him if he had glued the neck in, he said maybe. :)

We feel for ya Conor. We will not work on parts guitars unless 1) it's all assembled already and has strings on it we can evaluate it for set-up and 2) it has been properly assembled and does not represent massive scope creep and is impossible to quote accurately with the client standing right there.

We turn away most of the parts guitars that come our way also because the parts makers always lie and stuff does not fit as billed.

Anyway that's us, we are liability adverse and only work on stuff we have experience with and can accurately forecast outcomes.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:54 pm) • Conor_Searl (Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:27 am)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

Customer dropped off a guitar last week. As I was looking it over on the main bench so I could give her an estimate she was glancing around the workshop, at the table saw, various sanding machines, jointer etc, the stacks of wood and the two partially built acoustic guitars on another bench. She ran her finger across the top of the counter an examined it critically.

In a disapproving voice she said “did you know it is VERY DUSTY in here?”

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:55 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:44 am) • Hesh (Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Miller
City: Cape Vincent
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 13618
joshnothing wrote:

In a disapproving voice she said “did you know it is VERY DUSTY in here?”

Best belly laugh I've had in a long time!

These users thanked the author Dan Miller for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:10 am) • joshnothing (Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:28 am 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
You didn't try loosening the neck, just to see how well he'd done?

Haha, thoroughly!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:34 am 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Conor_Searl wrote:
Okay, I've got one...

We feel for ya Conor. We will not work on parts guitars unless 1) it's all assembled already and has strings on it we can evaluate it for set-up and 2) it has been properly assembled and does not represent massive scope creep and is impossible to quote accurately with the client standing right there.

We turn away most of the parts guitars that come our way also because the parts makers always lie and stuff does not fit as billed.

Anyway that's us, we are liability adverse and only work on stuff we have experience with and can accurately forecast outcomes.

I can definitely understand that, and more and more I'm telling clients at the outset that the cost of assembling their parts is however many hours it ends up taking, it's never just a set up, and that more often than not there will be annoying (for me, but maybe a fun challenge for them) surprises. In this case, I saw a telecaster in front of me with 4 screws and a neckplate, I anticipated the rest of the surprises that day, but who knew someone would shoot for double redundancy on something so tried and true.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:05 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

This guy wasn't a customer... I bought an electric guitar off a guy advertised locally on CL. It needed work, so I talked him down $50. The next day the guy called me back and said "I sold that guitar too cheaply to you. Will you come back and give me the other $50?".

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:56 pm) • Hesh (Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:05 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:39 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Our clients never say anything dumb and are always right.............:)

Like the guy who calls me up and says that he was banned from Elderly Instruments. So I banned him from our place too on that very call and he wrote a bad review about me. So I tore him a new one in my reply to the review which is considered bad form. We have had dozens of clients tell us that they knew they had to come to us when they read the bad review and then read the passion that I displayed in tearing the mouth breather a new one for all to see. I used his real name too. Two way street...... it is and we don't take BS from anyone.

I think that Chris may agree with me but not only is the client not always right they are wrong a goodly percentage of the time..... and that's our value-add to be a source accurate information.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:57 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 am)