Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: Baroque to Uke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
I have a cool set of plans for making baroque Voboam guitars. Lots of fancy stuff. Included was a plan for a tiny guitar in A, that I thought I could give some of the fancy stuff a little practice. I have enough pieces to do it, without buying anything; even strings. I cut my other baroque strings kinda short, and I need a new bridge, so I can use them.
The plans said for a 5 course at A 415 or a 4 course at 440. So, I'll make it like a Uke. The neck might not look quite so huge.
The little baroque is little though. 10.5" long so that's not too bad, but at 5/4.25/6" wide it's pretty narrow. It was designed for a low D though, so will the body deliver?
What is the difference in sound between a baroque guitar in A, and an 8 string Uke?
I figured out the tension using the bottom 4 courses of the strings I have, and I think it was about 80 pounds. That might work. The other way it might be more like 66/68?
Any suggestions?
It has a 440mm scale.

Post subject: Re: Baroque to Uke
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chris
Last Name: Reed
City: Stowmarket
State: Suffolk
Zip/Postal Code: IP14 2EX
For the sound, if you're on Facebook, check out my friend George who performs old, but filthy, songs on a baroque guitar tuned gCEA. https://www.facebook.com/RenaissanceUkeMan/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:19 am 
Koa
Koa

No to Facebook. I did just find this, which sounds absolutely extraordinary! Not on a baroque, but the sound is incredible. He doesn't play bad either. Very nice.

The Voboams seem to work with a stiff, reflective back. Maybe that can bring out highs? I haven't decided on the size completely yet. I might scale down the big one directly to work out the patterns of the inlay the same way. It will be to begin to get a feel for the inlay, and make a build on the neck. I need to get a bridge pin reamer that my daughter bought for my birthday, and it came to her house the Monday after we came over. Then I can string up the little Stauffer guitar, and see if I got any sound out of it! Should be very much a live back. I altered the plans some. I'm like that.

https://youtu.be/CXf3TjfaaEw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

The guitar in A was never really a guitar. It was pulled from a DOUBLE guitar by Voboam in the late 1600's for the likes of someone like a 17th century Jimmy Page to pound out "Battle of Evermore" when people started to get bored with polyphony.

The plan has many possibilities for decoration, I'm leaning toward something like this one. The photos are terrible thumbnails. Sorry.

Attachment:
Unknown.jpeg

Attachment:
images.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have the veneer mostly thinned down: I cut figured mahogany that was 3/16-1/4 inch thick down in strips a mm or less thick. The entire body is spruce, with thin veneer on the back and sides. I cut them from an Englemann wedge for a viola with a hand saw. I glued up the back and belly. I read profchris saying he likes a one inch movement with pressure! Wow!

Are you serious?

The piece isn't evenly flat yet. It's about 2mm, but the center measures maybe 2.4mm. I found that one fiberglass go bar with one inch of pressure gives seven pounds of pressure. For the Stauffer I thinned it; to start; at 1/4" movement spaced at 1 8". I thinned the edges down later. This stock moves 7/16 on blocks 12" apart. Is that 2.6 Xs more flexible? Is it still .5" or two times too stiff?

Doing some math, if this is about say 2.2mm, then it will only take to 1.75 to get it twice as flimsy? Is that about right?

The plans for the baroque have two diagonal braces going outward from under the 1st and 2nd and 4th and 5th strings to the edge outside the lower block. I've had trouble keeping the bridge on my other little baroque guitar. Do you think these are there to help keep the bridge on?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 am 
Koa
Koa

I guess I answered my question. I flattened it out, the ends and sides were mostly 2mm, but the center was 2.3-2.5 even. Putting it back on the blocks, it moved .75"! Crazy. So it seems like .2mm more would give an inch of movement.

I have noticed that there are far more tap tones, and they have more volume. When I started, and it was 2.5-3mm thick it didn't ring much. I'll probably leave it where it is, until I cut the rough outline on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ok. On to veneer! I have the Mahogany thinned down for the sides. I have them cut to the size, and I'm going to mark the edges on each side, and cut out the diamonds and triangles. I tried doing it with just random pieces, and it is a lot of trouble. Hopefully, this will work better. The WILL be a little bit big, because I'm just slicing them with an x-acto. At least they should be pretty much the right shape. There is .5mm wide black purfling between them, and a bwb purfling running down the middle. The back is about the same, but double wide with four strips. I don't remember off hand what the 3 length wise strips are.

After they are glued and thinned even; they have to be bent! I thought of using CA glue. Will that work? I think I'll ask that on the main build page too.

Attachment:
IMG_0759.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well I bent the ribs, and it wasn't a disaster, but not what I'd like either. I'll.give it another go as I found a big enough piece of the curly mahogany do make another set. I used spruce on the first set. That's what the original has. They burnt bending! I never make spruce linings, they always split on me. I found a piece of maple , and trimming.The second side down to 1 mm. I didn't lift the scraper up high enough for the next pass, and split it to pieces. Now I have a Sycamore and a maple side.

The mahogany is glued on in 4 solid pieces. I'm getting the sides down to about 1.6 mm or so. The mahogany doesn't cooperate. I have one done, and I might have the RO sander. I will put in all the diagonals going one way, and then all the diagonals the other way. No fitting fancy shapes! Been busy doing stuff. How did stuff ever get done when I worked?

I heard Bach on a Uke yesterday. Outstanding!

https://youtu.be/F3Zda6mMOaM

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: bcombs510 (Sun May 22, 2022 6:37 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:33 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I read the title of this thread Ken and thought it was about a baroquen uke that needed repair :)