Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help wiring new pickups
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:40 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I recently purchased a new Eastwood TB64 bass VI, I am looking to replace the pickups because the existing ones are not very good.

Here's two images of very poor diagrams I've tried to make. They show the current wiring, and attempt #1 at the rewiring: https://imgur.com/a/DVe5rxq

This is my very basic understanding of the current wiring:

1. Three single coil pickups each wired to a 2-way on/off switch.
2. A fourth 2-way switch is added for a bass/solo switch, basically cuts off the highs/lows. Since its a bass VI the attempt is to make it sounds more bright like a guitar, to more bassy. I believe this switch is causing a lot of the current issues with the existing pickups (very quiet).
3. One 500k volume pot with a treble bleed and resistor and one 500k tone pot with a resistor. My understanding is that single coils should be used with 250k pots rather than 500k, which would explain the resistors on each pot and the bass/solo switch.

Here's what I am attempting to do:

1. Two new strat pickups and a humbucker at the bridge.
2. Still have the on/off switch for each pickup
3. Still one volume pot and one tone pot. The new 500k tone knob for the humbucker is a push/pull switch to put the humbucker from split to hummer.
4. I spoke with someone about adding another switch or making the volume pot a push/pull switch to adjust the overall resistance of the circuit.

Attempt #1 is not complete. I have searched all over online to try and find a reference diagram but can't find one. What I don't know:

1. How do the tone pots go between the series/parallel switch and the volume? Do I wire the strat tone knob between the on/off switch of each, then to the series parallel switch? Or does it get wired after the series/parallel switch to the volume?
2. Not sure how to wire between the humbucker, the push/pull knob, the on/off switch, and the series/parallel.
3. Here's my first attempt at wiring without the second tone knob: https://imgur.com/a/R02JPPb. This makes sense to me because the tone controls all 3 pickups, I just didn't have the resistors on the on/off switches for the strat pickups. But I'm not sure how to wire a secondary tone knob.

If anyone can help with this diagraming or has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:47 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Bump - I know we have some very knowledgable electric builders here so let's please help the Captain out?

Thanks