Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am 
Walnut
Walnut

This is my first post here so hello everyone. [:Y:]
I have a 2009 Gibson Flying V (67 reissue) with 500T/496R pickups. It hasn't been playing too well when plugged in and decided that I'm gonna rewire it but would like to add coil-splitting and a phase switch. However when I took the pick guard off the pickups are only single conductor...? I'm pretty confused as I've seen that they are sold with 4 conductor wiring. Is there a way to achieve what I want with single conductor pickups (can't find much information about that online) or will I need to modify the wiring from the pickups themselves.
This is the wiring diagram I was planning on using:
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Focus: Build
You cannot do that with single-wire pickups.
I have heard of someone opening the pickup and attaching a wire to the nf/sf connection.
It does not sound like and easy job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
You must open the pickup and add a "tap" wire between the two coils.You only need 3 wires for a coil tap or phase swap. To do a series/parallel you need to completely split the coils and then need the 4th conductor.

Very easy to ruin a pick up if you don't know how but a common mod from back in the day before 4 conductors became the norm.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll attempt to tap in the extra wire inbetween the coils. Doesn't seem too difficult as long as I go slow.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

B. Howard wrote:
You must open the pickup and add a "tap" wire between the two coils.You only need 3 wires for a coil tap or phase swap. To do a series/parallel you need to completely split the coils and then need the 4th conductor.

So I found this diagram on Seymour Duncan and would rather use this as I like the idea of splitting the neck and bridge separately and having a toggle switch for the phase. Following your suggestion I would add an extra wire between the two coils which in the diagram would be the red and white wires, correct? Then the hot wire of the Gibson pickups which is covered in braided shielding would take place of the black in the diagram but then where do I solder my braided wire? Isn't that my ground wire which would be the green in the diagram.

Hopefully that makes sense. And sorry for the image size, I can't seem to figure out how to resize it on here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

you know, I'd just acquire a new set of pups already having 4 wires...otherwise you're just playing with fire and beehive

if you have things to do which pay, and can do them at will (e.g. not limited to 40 hrs/wk) then I'd just work a few extra hours to pay for a set and I bet you'd find you came out ahead on it all.

edit: OK, it's been decades since I bought any pups, and I notice that yes they are available already set up for retail (e.g. 4 wires) and together would probably run just shy of $300 for both with shipping and any taxes...ummmmm, yeah

I'd still just get a new set probably...

as a side note I love my electric with both pups with 4 wires...I have the bridge wired for series/single/parallel and my bridge setup for phase (that one I replace both pickups on) and while not as versatile my ancient Jackson Rhoads with a replacement retail distortion in the bridge position still rocks set up as above (the guitar was sold (ordered actually) as having an SH6, but delivered with an SH2...so the store that "illegally" sold it to me avoided any issues and just handed me a retail boxed distortion, and I of course couldn't resist wiring it up how I wanted (probably take a hit on that guitar if I ever sold it because of the extra hole in the pickguard and the toggle switch...e.g. it's not in original collectable condition with a serial less than 1,000)

Last edited by Mike_P on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:32 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Just buying a new set of something I already have isnt justifyable to me, I do have spare pickups but I love the sound of these in my Flying V. I feel confident modifying them, just don't know much about the pickups themselves besides wiring them to pots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:58 am 
Walnut
Walnut

UPDATE: I did end up separating the wires in my pickups, wiring it all back together with 4 conductor pickup wire. However, I dislike how my guitar operates now and find it to be rather annoying having too many options. The single coils sound really nice but I'm gonna get rid of the phase switch and independant coil switches on the volumes and just rewire everything back to normal and adding a single coil split on a dpdt switch for both pickups.

For people who wanna do this, think about how you play your instrument before adding unnessesary options! Ha!