Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A couple of Stl files
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi All,

here's a couple of Stl files. They are not perfect but will get you started on a 59LP carvetop or a PRS 22 carvetop. They were not as good when I got them as IGS format. Not sure who to credit for that either? They are only the carve not any cutouts for pickups and such

I did some cleanup but not perfect. :)

Enjoy.

Mike

http://mikrovisions.com./GB/tops.zip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
The carves aren't cycloidal, which the carves on a Les Paul are, so definitely not similar to a real Les Paul nor anything as specific as a '59.

I haven't played enough PRSes to be sure of what their curve is like, but I thought it was also cycloidal all the way around as well.

Cycloidal is like a violin carve: smoothly domed in the middle and fully horizontal at the edges all the way around. Based on a 'curtate cycloid'

If you dig enough, there are ones that are pretty close (at least for the LP) on CNCZone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Like I said Bob they are not perfect just something to get close with. I'm not sure what you mean by cycloidal? Next time I'll just keep my stuff to myself. I'm sorry if they are not up to par.

Good bye!

files removed due to being subpar crap

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Take it easy, no need to get all emotional. I explained what a cycloidal carve is in the post above.

I think you mentioned in the first post that the original files are not your work and you don't remember where you got them? You needn't take it to heart that they were off.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:07 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mike,

Thank you for sharing these files.....yes, Bob only creates PERFECT models, and his VAST knowledge of CNC in general is something that we are all not worthy off..

Carving a top of a LP, especially a '59 is something which is not very easily done in any CAD package (unless you are Bob off course...).

(Just kidding Bob....)

Folks over at CNC zone have created some, and some also have made the top out of the Stew-Mac plans. Reading around however, some folks think that the '59 stewmac plan is not accurate.

I have been in touch with some folks, and one has a '59 LP which he is willing to bring to a laser scanning place, to have the model scanned, and then using a reverse engineering package to clean it up, produce a very accurate model. I have been trying to get this done for a long time now, and had some posts over at the zone, but it fell through...still trying. I think this is the best way to get an accurate model, right form the model itself!

Scanning a guitar with a laser is not easy however, since lasers tend to reflect off a shinny surface, and finding someone with a '59 LP, willing to do this, by taking his instrument apart is something close to impossible...but have to keep trying.
There are way to wrap the guitar in cellophane, and then use powders to keep the laser from reflecting...so doable.

Once done, I will send you the files.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That's some pretty heavy sarcasm there, Spiro. You sure you've got nothing you need to get off your chest?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
Focus: Build
The PRS carve is referred to as a violin carve - it has a slight recurve all the way around the body. It looks cool, but it's not the most ergonomic thing out there. Hasn't kept them from selling though...!

LP's are definitely flatter...

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Violins and LPs (the ones I've had in hand) go to horizontal at the edges while the PRS carve goes past. I've seen some LPs that look like they might go past horizontal a bit, but only in photos so I'm not sure. Definitely not as extreme as the PRS, though. I don't think that most electric players actually rest their arms on the guitar too much and the recurve definitely has a stronger visual effect.

That said, Paul could be coating the front of them in barbed wire at this point and they'd still sell like hot cakes :)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bob,

All four violins I have here go past horizontal. Many archtop guitars do as well from what I have seen. The Ibanez LP copy I have does not. Now if I was as witty as some of the others here I would find something sarcastic to say to you.....but since I am not...I won't! laughing6-hehe pizza

Yer pal

Shane

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I stand corrected on the violins; some of them do go past horizontal. The only plan I could find that goes past flush is a Strad plan, the rest all go to flush or less, but the Strad one does have dip below in some places. I figured I was safe after looking at plans from nine different makers idunno

Strad with dips - http://www.scribd.com/doc/14278838/Strad-Plan-violin
Others without - http://www.violins.ca/books/images/plans/

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello All,
Again it seems I have stepped in the proverbial can of worms.

Bob, let me say I apologize for my reaction, I did not check my feelings and emotions that rested on my sleeves before entering the OLF that night.

Now, these files were posted at the cnczone and listed as such, as I listed them. I reformated them in STL format as I know many may not have software that will import IGS format. I used a friends software and PC to do this. I made some minor corrections as well. I also pointed out they were not perfect. My intent was to help someone with a process that may not be available for them at this time. Unlike you Bob and many others here, some of us do not have the financial means to get the software packages that seem to be the norm for most on the OLF. I for one am on disability and limited to what I can afford. I do what I can with the means at hand. I make no excuses for that. I ask nothing in return and no sympathy for my health or financial problems. It is what it is.

That being said, I also try my best to help others to the best of my ability or means. I am still a newbie here on the OLF. Why I stay, is really a question to me? Since I have been here, I have been Blasted by the regulars many times. I once made the mistake of asking about flat top acoustics. Man did I get crapped on. Other times I have offered suggestions and the same thing.

A few have stood beside me, Cyborgcnc and Hesh. To these two I owe the reason for my staying and I say thank you.

If more of the regulars would take the time to help, instead of preach or find fault, where constructive criticism would work better, maybe those that are newbies like myself would be more receptive and less likely to overreact.

Example: Recently a newbie asked a question about how to learn about CNC. All I saw in the thread was, He must have this or that software and why. No one knows what his budget is? No one even really answered the question of the OP, they were all to busy spouting crap about this and that.

Had that been me I would've said "Later all"

I understand where they are coming from. They come from their own world and bubble and what they use and chose is the way to go. No problem with stating that " I use this and it works great for me"

I guess in this long rant of mine, what I would like to see is more sharing, instead of, Do it my way because it is the only way. I'll show you how, sort of, but I won't share my work.

Then again, I'm like most Miss USA contestants, I want World Peace. laughing6-hehe

Sincerely,

Mike K

BTW
I will repost the files if there is an interest?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
Mike--I would like to take a look at them, mostly out of curiousity.
Thanks
Nelson

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Mike,

I have enjoyed reading your posts on this CNC forum, and although I am up and running cnc (he's working for me as I write this bliss ) I am light years behind you in the knowledge you have already. Mike Turner (turmitetoo) has been my main mentor and super generous with his support. Bob and others have helped as well but their basic speak on this topic is far above my most advanced knowledge on the topic. Mike has been kind enough and patient enough to walk me through a few files as needed help. Now, David Berkowitz may be new to CAD and CNC but he is an accomplished guitar maker and not knew to any of this. His question was what is the software that the industry guys use. I think he got an accurate answer. And I also think that the responses were valuable until they got beyond the basic but then the discussion evolved in the fine points of high level CAD and CAM and was likely of value to those left in the discussion. David's questions were the same questions I asked off forum of Bob, Mike, Trevor and others. I have Rhino and MadCAM mostly because it is used by others here and if I want help by people that understand what I am trying to do it is much easier to get that help when I am set up as they are. I perceive there is HUGE value in that.

Anyway, I think that your offer with your files was genuine and generous and I didn't take that Bob was making any other statement except that the files were not accurate reproductions and was likely concerned that some decent wood and some precious time may be spent and lost unless that fact was disclosed. That should not be taken as minimalizing the offer you made. Maybe someone would like to take those files and work them to accuracy. I know I couldn't as I certainly do not have that knowledge, but someone does have the knowledge and may choose to use your files just for the purpose.

So stick around and please remember this is a conversation in a format where the subtlety's of human communication are lost. We need your sense of "discovery" every bit as much as we need Bob's expert analysis.

Thanks

Shane

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Nelson,
They are restored, Again they are not perfect, but will suffice for someone using say Cut3D to get a good start on a carve, but still need to do some hand work as well.

Shane,
Thank you for your support. I suspect that you are correct in what Bobs thoughts were as well.

Sincerely,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Stuart
Last Name: Gort
I disagree.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
I agree. :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

I disagree to a degree bliss

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Luc
Last Name: Regnier
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting your models, I always enjoy seeing work by the folks here.

I came across a fellow that makes Vintage Les Paul tops that I thought may be helpful to you for reference.
Check it out you can get a pretty good idea of a finished product from the photo's.

Cheers - Luc

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/AAAAA.html

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I agree to disagree.

WHOOOHOOO!! Are we having Fun yet?

bliss oops_sign idunno duh

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

LRegnier wrote:
Hi Mike,

I came across a fellow that makes Vintage Les Paul tops that I thought may be helpful to you for reference.
Check it out you can get a pretty good idea of a finished product from the photo's.

Cheers - Luc

For $335 USD I would expect bookmatched. -Vinny

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Vinny wrote:
LRegnier wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers - Luc

I totally didn't notice that one until you mentioned it! I thought the inclusions were a bigger issue on a premium-priced top.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am 
Koa
Koa

Vinny wrote:
LRegnier wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers - Luc

It's interesting in that a laminated archtop offers the opportunity for bookmatching. A carved plate, on the other hand, can be bookmatched when the two halves are matched and glued together but most of the bookmatch disappears when the plate is carved.
Nelson P.S. Vinny, are you the archtop guy I met at the Long Island Show in about 2001 or 2002?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Vinny wrote:
LRegnier wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers - Luc

But then they wouldn't be like late '50s originals, very few of which were bookmatched.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: jeremy
Last Name: budgen
City: delmas
State: mp
Zip/Postal Code: 2210
Mike.

Can i get hold of the files you originally posted as i might be able to help with the fine tuning on the profiles, not saying i can but i do a lot of 3d sculpting.

I am currently running a biesse rover b2.3, and would like to know of any one else within the OLF who might be using biesse machines to machine aluminium.

Any way i think that anyone who goes to the trouble of posting files for other to learn with is right on with me... [:Y:]