It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:19 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Del
State: Hawaii
Focus: Build
I'm no expert by any means but maybee someone will get some tips on some stuff so I made this series:

Part 1: modeling a guitar in Rhino

Part 2: calculating toolpaths for contours in Cut3D

Part 3: importing Cut3D toolpaths into Vcarve Pro and finishing toolpaths

Part 4: cutting the guitar on CNC and using dowels to align top and back

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

konalure,
That was great! Thanks so much for posting all of that.
I'm new to this aspect of luthiery, and I don't have your exact setup, but it helps me better understand the thought process and methodology it takes to get what you need from your cnc. (mine is Rhino/visualmill/mach3 and my hardware is K2)
One thing that sticks out for me is the use of the large sphere to get your belly cut. Maybe that is not that new to others, but to me it was a revelation. I hadn't thought of it in that way. This helps me visualize other situations where basic shapes will help me get what I want in the drawing stages.
Looking forward to your future tutorials. Thank you!
Saul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Always interesting to see how many different ways there are to approach these things.

I'm curious to know why you chose to extrude the curve using the surface command with a cap rather than use solid -> extrude from curve, that way you could wire cut the forearm contour with a curve keeping a solid model and save a few steps. Likewise with the belly cut, if your body was a solid a simple boolean difference would save all the trimming. I can only assume you need separate surfaces for your next steps (which could be achieved with the explode command)?

Cheers,

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Nice tutorials Del. Thanks.

Great view out that window too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

konalure thanks for the tuts. I could only use the Rhino tut, but learned two or three new ways to do things.

Neil you mentioned another way to do this, and I would love to see it if you have the time to do a short vid of it? Yeah I know about begging, but I am not above that! laughing6-hehe

I have suggested to McNeel that one of the best ways to teach Rhino is the use of videos with voice but an even better way would be to have 4-5 different experts in Rhino approach the same model using different methods and tools. Here we have two already, and I bet there are other approaches as well. I know what my method is, and it is slooooooooow compared to this.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Nice job Del. I'm using Cut 3D and your trick to force it to cut a single surface rather than an entire model will be a huge help. I've been trying to figure out how to cut a single 3D pocket for a sound chamber and I bet your tips will get it done. It was also nice to see a V Carve tutorial. I use Cut 2D, so it's nice to see what I'm missing. I'm sure the Shopbot guys will appreciate the Vectric videos as well.

Again, great job and really nice results on the guitar.

Bob