Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:21 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=sharp_custom] I'm not whining about prices here. The only reason I ask about ameritage is because I've never seen one in person. It's hard to compare when you've never had one in front of you. [/QUOTE]

If you want to see one shoot me a PM. I have a bunch setting in the shop. If you cover shipping I would be happy to let you borrow one and examine it.

They are custom fit to my guitars and probably won't work on yours, but at least that way you get to look them over before you make the investment.

My personal feeling is they are second only to Calton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:24 pm 

[QUOTE=LanceK] A heads up on the discount. You have to order 6 cases that are identical in every way. Same model, color, bindings etc.
Don't ask me how I know this

This batch did not qualify

[/qUOTE]

Maybe you should only offer one color case.   

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
They come in pink too - ask Coach tony Karol............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=terken]
He said they found the charred case in a cornfield and the banjo was unharmed
[/QUOTE]
Well, you can't catch a break EVERY time.
Alex told me one time that I was their 9th customer. They've got quite a list now.
All the good things have been said and I'd just be repeating them but I'm quite impressed with their work.
The cases they make for my archtops are impressive indeed. They have to be extra thick to handle the height of the bridge/arch. So that makes them weigh a TON. But they fit like a glove and protect like Ft. Knox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build

Hi - any Canadian suppliers for Armitage or would I have to order direct from the US?  I can't find a Canadian listing on the website and the taxes/duty wouldn't be pretty for me up here.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:06 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

To get luthier pricing you have to order direct

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 am 
Koa
Koa

The tops and backs aren't arched?

What's the crush rating on these? What;s the tollerance for fit? How many points of reference do they require when fitting them?

Don't fool yourselves. These don't hold a Bic Lighter to a Calton. 1/2 price, yes, and nice and dressy, yes, but not in the same protection league... If you're going to lug a 15 lb case through airports for years and years, only a Calton is a Calton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:02 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

The tops are arched. Due to the construction and the amount of padding and the way they pad the arch in the top is not as apparent from the exterior as on most cases. I have no idea of the crush ratting but will say I have no problem stating that I am sure it is greater than Cedar Creek.

The spec sheet I fill out on each of my models for custom fitting has at least 15 required reference dimension. Their spec sheet is almost idenical to Cedar Creeks. As far as their tolerance I have never had one miss fit my specs.

No grumpy it is not a Calton but I having owned both and Cedar Creek, TKL Pro series and many other cases, I have no problem putting the Ameritage up against any including a Calton. It may not beat the Calton on the exterior ruggedness and total crush rating. It most certainly is not as hard of a shell as a Calton but in every other way I would rate it higher including custom fitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I did not hit the post button yet???? Oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:01 am 
Koa
Koa

I too use Ameritage...for about 4-5 years now. Super People and a great case for the money...buy them 6 at a time you won't be disappointed. If not, spend the money and buy Calton but you will need to raise the price of your guitar to pay for it. I include my case with the guitar...I don't give any discount if the customer doesn't want the case, it comes with. I won't deliver a guitar to a customer without MY case. So he can show up with an empty Calton and he will leave with an empty one too.

Although, I do remember Bruce Dickey saying he got a great case from Musicians Friend for around $39. You might want to try one of those... Maybe Bruce will chime in...

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:35 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=terken]Here is an interesting story. I did a banjo workshop with Pete Wernick in the early 80's and he showed us his travel case. Looked a lot like a Calton but I think it was another brand.

As you may know he was in the Sioux City IA DC10 crash and survived. I ran into a banjo player years later in Colorado that knew Pete and I asked him what happened to the banjo.

He said they found the charred case in a cornfield and the banjo was unharmed Probably safer to be in a crash than go through baggage handling!

Terry[/QUOTE]

I asked Pete about that case yesterday. He said it was made by Mark Leaf Case. He retired it after about 25 years of service! Unfortunately it is no longer produced. He now uses a Price case and finds it better than the Leaf Case.
Anyone tried a Price case?

live every minute...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
[QUOTE=grumpy] The tops and backs aren't arched? What's the crush rating on these? What;s the tollerance for fit? How many points of reference do they require when fitting them?Don't fool yourselves. These don't hold a Bic Lighter to a Calton. 1/2 price, yes, and nice and dressy, yes, but not in the same protection league... If you're going to lug a 15 lb case through airports for years and years, only a Calton is a Calton.
<div style=": ; width: 28px; height: 28px; : 1000; display: none;">
[/QUOTE]

Mario, do you use Ameritage? Have you seen them in person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:53 am 
Koa
Koa

I've seen a few, but no, I don't use one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
and you can honestly say "Don't fool yourselves. These don't hold a Bic Lighter to a Calton"

I have seen both. That statement is an over exaggeration.

I would not say that Ameritage cases are stronger than a Calton, but calling them a Bic Lighter by comparison is wrong. That kind of statement makes then sound like there no better than a 99.00 TKL found at your local Guitar Center.

They have an extreamly good fit.
They ask for 14 points of referance when building a custom case, Calton askes for 15.
The top is arched. Back is flat. I suspect that you could order an arched back if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have a good deal of experience with the Cordura fabric.  My other hobby is mountain climbing, Cordura is used for backpacks, gaiters, crampon bags, stuff that gets really abused and it holds much better than generic nylon fabrics. 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Hank
Last Name: Mauel
City: Auburn
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95603
Interesting thread.
I used some Ameritage cases back "last century" in their previous incarnation (different management, etc)and found them to be very nice, indeed. Drifted away to the (then) Harptone Cases as they had a wide variety of sizes/shapes available that fit my various instruments. They went away to TKL and the available sizes seemed to get lost in the shuffle. Even using the Cedar Creek side of the house didn't help and order times just dragged out.
So, having decided to get back in touch with Ameritage, I sent them an email on 12-11-07 asking for details that would suit my instruments. Well, so far, I have had no response. Not an auspicious start to a revitalized relationship.

There ought to be one hell of a business for a case company that could get the act together and deliver a reliable product on a reliable timeline. Are any of those companies listening...Access, TKL/Cedar Creek, Ameritage???