Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
I`ve been using a water based product called Crystalac to spray cabinetery for business.It`s a pretty nice finish,except the gloss seems pretty dull for what`s suppossed to be a gloss product.Crystalac also sells a product for musical instruments that I`d like to try ,but I`m worried I won`t be happy with the sheen not being glossy enough.I know Steve has tried the satin Crystalac and does a fine job with it.Has anyone else had experience with this product? Any help is appreciated.
                      James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I would also like to see if there is further feedback on the crystalac line, especially if it is designed for instruments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:13 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Do a little searching on what Rick Turner has to say about this stuff. It ain't pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

The best water-based results I've had is with Target Coatings Ultima USL - you can get it online here:

www.targetcoatings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Of course this is a personal opinion and keep in mind that as far as waterborne finishes are concerned I have only use 2, Target's USL (StewMac's Colortone) and Grafted Coating's KTM9. Both are good waterborne acrylic lacquers. IMO KTM9 out performs USL by a long shot. Mainly in the fact that KTM9 does not exhibit the fain blue tint that most waterborne acrylics lacquers do. To me KTM9 seems to burn in better between coats and buffs out to a better high gloss sheen. I suspect this is due in measure to the lack of the blue tint that most waterborne lacquers exhibit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

Funny, I haven't noticed the blue tint in my colortone finishes.  I know that KTM9 is somewhat more expensive, maybe it is a better product. I will try it sometime.  I have been pretty happy with Colortone, but I would definitely use Z-poxy rather than Colortone grain filler.  I find it pretty useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

It ain't pretty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:42 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I have sprayed Crystalac Super Premium on my last three quitars. After the final topcoat I wait two weeks for a final wet sanding and buff using Menzerna medium and fine compounds. All three guitarists have been pleased with the finish. It is not as hard as Nitro and I expect will not be as durable over time. It is easy to apply and level and for those of us who do not have a spray booth with explosion-proof equipment and adequate ventilation, it is a good alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

James,
I used the gloss once and liked it. I must have added enough "wishful thinking" to make it work.    
I think it is harder than nitro. It polishes out nicely, dries pretty fast and has proven to be pretty durable.
Here are some pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:02 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

this stuff is not put out by the same company that makes Pianolac is it? I bet not because apparently people actually get there hands on it

By the way Steve where are you getting you half chevron purfling. I love that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The half chevron was purchased here.

Crystalac appears to be making their own product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:35 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
Steve, I was hoping you`d post on this topic.Did you use the amber tint with the gloss product? Also how long did you wait to buff it ,and with what.I really like the clarity and ease of application for cabinetery.I`m not sure what the schedule for guitars should be.Also did you pore fill with z-poxy or some ther product? I was thinking about maybe using Robbie`s saw dust and shellac method.I know a lot of questios ,but your guitars look great.Any help would be appreciated.
                        James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

James,
I did not use the amber tint. The shellac under it was amber enough for me, but I'm thinking about using the amber tint on a current build. The stuff dries pretty fast and I was able to buff it in less than a week in the summer. I see the guitar regularly and while it in no way looks like nitro or a UV cured finish, I think it looks very good.
I use Zpoxy for pore filling and then dewaxed shellac. I think Robbie's shellac and saw dust method would be great.
I spray thin coats about every hour until I have about 6-9 coats on, then let it sit for a couple of days, level sand, respray a few coats, let is set for a week, sand and polish.