PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Focus: Build
I've made the jig and now need the bit(s). I hate to ask but I'm calling uncle on the hours of research [headinwall] .
I'll be using the much hated Bosch Colt (I'm already invested in multiple Colts), 1/4" collet, with a measured total runout of .001".

• With either (router bit or end mill), upcut or down cut?
  • Two or three flute?
  • Fish tail or square end?
  • 1/4" shank or 1/8" collet reducer?

I don't have a machining background so I'm stumped.
I don't want to over think it, but don't want to under think it either. I also want to avoid multiple iterations of "learning opportunities".
This may be one of the most unforgiving processes I've encountered!

Appreciate your assistance!

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I’ve gotten best results with a Freud 1/8” straight bit (1/4” shaft, the one I’m using now has 1 flute). It leaves the chips packed in pretty tight. I would like to use an upcut spiral bit to make the clean out easier, but I’ve never bought one of any brand that didn’t have some runout making the slot wider than 1/8”. I don’t know anything about end mills. I’m using a Makita R700 plunge router. If I had a router with .001” runout, I’d replace it. It would cut a .127” slot with a 1/8” bit—too wide for a 1/8” bone blank. I could use a smaller bit and make two passes, but for me, that would be asking for more trouble. I try to set things to get it right in one pass.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: Kbore (Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:54 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I prefer downcut spiral, because it is less likely to cause chipping at the edge of the slot, and evacuation of dust/chips is good enough. Whiteside RD1600 is a good choice, or you can use 1/8” shank bits from StewMac (and other places) with a collet reducer. I handle the runout issue by starting with a thicker saddle blank and thinning it to match the slot. That way, having the slot be a hair wider than 1/8” is not a problem. You don’t want a loose fitting saddle.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Kbore (Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:55 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

I use the Colt as well. Works fine for me. I just don't thickness the saddle until the slot is cut.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post (total 2): Kbore (Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:19 pm) • doncaparker (Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:50 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Makita 700 here, just a straight cut bit and I can cut pretty close to a 3mm slot with a 3mm bit, IF I clean out the collet/shank area thoroughly before I use it (and remember to tighten the router body clamp before cutting! [headinwall] - only forgot once!)
I only cut about 1.5 mm each pass to avoid the slot packing up with chips, and repeat that pass at the same depth to clear it.
I size my saddles after slotting.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Kbore (Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Colin North wrote:
Makita 700 here, just a straight cut bit and I can cut pretty close to a 3mm slot with a 3mm bit, IF I clean out the collet/shank area thoroughly before I use it (and remember to tighten the router body clamp before cutting! [headinwall] - only forgot once!)
I only cut about 1.5 mm each pass to avoid the slot packing up with chips, and repeat that pass at the same depth to clear it.

Cleaning the collet, the bit and the bore made a HUGE difference on the runout of my router when measuring with a dial indicator. I just ordered a precision collet (made in USA on American made machines from American made metal anyway) for good measure.

I'm going to bet that routing the slot in both directions will cause more inconsistency than .001 runout. As soon I get my bits, I will be testing that theory..... I had a buddy cut some slots in 1/2" baltic ply, on his milling machine and they even came out very slightly wonky from running the cutter in both directions. We'll see...

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Kbore wrote:
Colin North wrote:

I'm going to bet that routing the slot in both directions will cause more inconsistency than .001 runout. out very slightly wonky from running the cutter in both directions. We'll see...

As long as there is no slack or inconsistency in the guides for the router base, I don't see how there could be problems.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Kbore (Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
There has to be very slight clearance between the guides and the router base or the router will be stuck in place. That’s enough to make the slot a little wider when you change directions.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: Kbore (Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:23 pm)