Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:23 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Thomas
Last Name: T
Focus: Build
I've been thinking about how to build a powered radius dish sander for awhile and came across a picture of someone using a pottery wheel. I found this one for $120.52 (shipped). It works great. 0-360 rpm.

I tried a couple of different mounting methods. In the end, I fabricated a round block with a 1/4" hole in the middle. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the pottery wheel and used that as an alignment tool for the radius dish, which also has a hole in the center.

Then, I used the blue tape and superglue trick. I was unsure how it would hold up, but it works great.

I then drilled three holes in the bench and set the legs in holes. I screwed some blocks underneath to space it up a bit. This lowered it and holds it in place.

The whole project took about 2 or 3 hours.

I'm actually really impressed with the pottery wheel's quality. It's pretty heavy. I don't know how they can sell it for that. It even has a digital control.

Here's a review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDB_NDn72o
The woman in the review gives out the discount code 'Discount23.'

Here's the link to the wheelhttps://www.vevor.com/pottery-wheel-c_11146/vevor-pottery-wheel-10in-ceramic-wheel-forming-machine-adjustable-0-300rpm-speed-manual-lcd-panel-foot-pedal-abs-detachable-basin-sculpting-tool-apron-accessory-kit-for-work-art-craft-diy-p_010687990439

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author guitarmaker78 for the post (total 6): Pat Foster (Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:33 pm) • Pmaj7 (Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:10 am) • Kbore (Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:25 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:25 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:25 am) • Durero (Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:41 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:26 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

The picture of the inside guts of the machine shows what it looks like with the bottom removed. I wanted to see what was in there.

These users thanked the author guitarmaker78 for the post: Kbore (Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:59 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:46 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Pretty cool and a very good idea Thomas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Nice! Can you elaborate a little bit more on how you attached the dish? I can't quite follow. Super glue?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Did your wheel bog down at all with pressure?
My dishes weigh in at 11lb 12 oz.
Looks like a great method.

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:15 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Pmaj7 wrote:
Nice! Can you elaborate a little bit more on how you attached the dish? I can't quite follow. Super glue?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I put blue tape on the pottery wheel dish and I put blue tape on the back of the radius dish. Then I put medium viscosity superglue on the radius dish tape, and I sprayed CA kicker on the radius dish. Then joined them. It holds fine for me, but still comes apart by lifting up. It’s the same way I learned to cut abalone on my CNC.

The key is to get the radius dish centered properly. That’s why I made the round plug. I drilled a .25” hole in the center of the pottery wheel to use for an alignment pin. I put a .25” hole dead center of the round plug and mounted it dead center of the pottery wheel with the .25” pin. My radius dish has a hole in the center that perfectly matches the round plug.

At first, I tried a different mounting method, but it was misaligned and caused vibration. Now there is no vibration and it runs smooth.

These users thanked the author guitarmaker78 for the post: Robbie_McD (Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:29 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Kbore wrote:
Did your wheel bog down at all with pressure?
My dishes weigh in at 11lb 12 oz.
Looks like a great method.

I’ve only run one set on it and it ran fine. It was a set of sides that I messed up so I wasn’t concerned about it. I didn’t push super hard, but I didn’t need to - just light pressure was all that it needed and the sandpaper did all of the work. I chalked the rims to see how well it was making progress, and it was certainly much faster than when I do it by hand.

The only downside is all of the dust that would normally fall to the table was getting kicked up into the air and it was definitely kicking up a lot of dust, I have a large air filtration unit on the ceiling right over where I did the sanding, so it wasn’t too bad after a little while.

I have an air quality monitor and the shop always settles down to an acceptable level in an hour or two.

These users thanked the author guitarmaker78 for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:05 pm)