Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Here is another one, driven more by players than by builders, but there are certainly some enablers among the builders:

Assigning specific tonal aspects to species of wood, as if every piece of Sitka spruce adds the same element to the sound of the guitar, and every piece of East Indian Rosewood adds the same element to the sound of a guitar. Some players act like the species of the wood is like adding salt or pepper or paprika to a recipe: If you use Sitka, you get this, and if you use Honduran Mahogany, you get that.

I call it malarkey. The truth is a lot more complicated, due to the fact that different pieces of Sitka Spruce have different tonal characteristics from each other, and the same is true for different pieces of every other species of tonewood. Wood varies, a lot. If you are expecting the species alone to tell you what a piece of wood is going to do to the sound of a guitar, you are not paying attention to what really matters: The tonal characteristics of the actual pieces of wood you are using, regardless of their species.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): J De Rocher (Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:36 pm) • Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:20 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:22 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
doncaparker wrote:
Here is another one, driven more by players than by builders, but there are certainly some enablers among the builders:

Assigning specific tonal aspects to species of wood, as if every piece of Sitka spruce adds the same element to the sound of the guitar, and every piece of East Indian Rosewood adds the same element to the sound of a guitar. Some players act like the species of the wood is like adding salt or pepper or paprika to a recipe: If you use Sitka, you get this, and if you use Honduran Mahogany, you get that.

I call it malarkey. The truth is a lot more complicated, due to the fact that different pieces of Sitka Spruce have different tonal characteristics from each other, and the same is true for different pieces of every other species of tonewood. Wood varies, a lot. If you are expecting the species alone to tell you what a piece of wood is going to do to the sound of a guitar, you are not paying attention to what really matters: The tonal characteristics of the actual pieces of wood you are using, regardless of their species.

Yep, very true. Wood is a guessing game and what we do with it adds even more variables.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:23 am 

dofthesea wrote:
Or figured wood sounds better than plain wood.

Great example!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:24 am 

dofthesea wrote:
And if you thing luthiers are bad, just check out some of the Tube Amp forums. OMG way worse arm chair techs then luthiers. Bunch of cork sniffers.

:). David cork would not have been my choice of words especially today :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:33 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Roger
Last Name: Häggström
City: Örnsköldsvik
Zip/Postal Code: 89136
Focus: Repair
You probably know what I think about truss rods. It's kind of ironic that I have worked with one of the very first ones ever made! Gibson has the first patent 1923, but it was P. A. Anderberg, a Swedish immigrant, that was the real inventor. He was a skilled luthier, making many of the finest instruments under many different labels in USA around 1900. Here are some slides from a guitar dated 1905, one of the few with his name on the label.

The whole restoration process can be found here
https://en.gammelgura.se/wordpress/?p=4780

http://www.gammelgura.se

Last edited by RogerHaggstrom on Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:02 pm 

Silly me I thought all along that the credit for the invention of the truss rod went to both Gibson and an Irishman not a Sweed.... and two years earlier than your tale...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_rod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I had an Anderberg guitar. It was nicely made with a rosewood body but didn't have a truss rod that I could see. It's possible he came up with the idea but never patented it. There have been a lot of things tried, never patented, and the inventers never given credit for them- fanned frets and the Manzer (Smith patented) wedge.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:05 pm 

Clay S. wrote:
I had an Anderberg guitar. It was nicely made with a rosewood body but didn't have a truss rod that I could see. It's possible he came up with the idea but never patented it. There have been a lot of things tried, never patented, and the inventers never given credit for them- fanned frets and the Manzer (Smith patented) wedge.

We have a Levin in the shop another interesting story, for another thread. Martin eventually bought him out likely to dispense of the competition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Quote:
This is not a case Wud of another way, no truss rod being just a difference of opinion. Not using a truss rod on a steel string guitar that is intended to be capable of playing anything and everything most guitars can play is short sided, lacks serviceability, problematic in the future and has resulted in broken hearts of real life clients when they learn that their builder did not incorporate a truss rod and could have.

Further it's also just not another way to not use a truss rod when I can't name anyone in the entire industry building steel strings who does not incorporate a truss rod and often now a double action rod. I am not speaking of a small builder who thinks they can do fine without one and I am not speaking of classical, nylon string instruments that have less tension and a tradition of no rod AND much higher action.

So I don't see the problem here Wud no one said your neck will fail but I am clearly and repeatedly saying that a neck that can't be adjusted is a very bad idea when you cannot know how the instrument will be played in the future, how it will be treated in the future, who's going to be playing it and what strings and even tunings they use.

I Have had people say it , but thats ok . And as far as Adjustment , I dont disagree with your thoughts . MY point is Peoples Inability to see past what they are doing long enough to test it , try and see what happens . In effect brushing off ideas , Lack of willingness to "Try something new" as it were .. I didnt say it was here either was just an observation of what people have said in general . Hesh I have done several thus far and the sound is better for sure , More projection. Is it going to sweep the world ? lol Noooo but Im having Fun experimenting idunno

PS I still use truss rods in alot of my builds pfft laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

Last edited by WudWerkr on Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:21 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Looking at the Gibson patent again, it was filed April 5 1921 and dated Feb 27 1923. Andenberg actually have a patent dated Mars 20 1894. In the patent, the truss rod is actually a wire. I think he quickly realized that a solid rod is the better alternative, the 1905 guitar do have a working trussrod as shown in the slides from my restoration.

These users thanked the author RogerHaggstrom for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:35 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:38 pm 

RogerHaggstrom wrote:
Looking at the Gibson patent again, it was filed April 5 1921 and dated Feb 27 1923. Andenberg actually have a patent dated Mars 20 1894. In the patent, the truss rod is actually a wire. I think he quickly realized that a solid rod is the better alternative, the 1905 guitar do have a working trussrod as shown in the slides from my restoration.

His patent is not for the same rod that Gibson patented.

Roger perhaps start another thread if you want to talk about who invented the truss rod that's not what this thread is intended to be about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Im Scratchin My head trying to figure out how that thing even worked lol Im sure it did . But this kinda drives home my point about experimenting , we build diff now because someone tried something new. How would we be doing if that was todays truss rod ?

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:42 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hesh wrote:
Roger perhaps start another thread if you want to talk about who invented the truss rod that's not what this thread is intended to be about.

For once I agree with you, I just thought it was an interesting side topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:53 pm 

WudWerkr wrote:
Quote:
This is not a case Wud of another way, no truss rod being just a difference of opinion. Not using a truss rod on a steel string guitar that is intended to be capable of playing anything and everything most guitars can play is short sided, lacks serviceability, problematic in the future and has resulted in broken hearts of real life clients when they learn that their builder did not incorporate a truss rod and could have.

Further it's also just not another way to not use a truss rod when I can't name anyone in the entire industry building steel strings who does not incorporate a truss rod and often now a double action rod. I am not speaking of a small builder who thinks they can do fine without one and I am not speaking of classical, nylon string instruments that have less tension and a tradition of no rod AND much higher action.

So I don't see the problem here Wud no one said your neck will fail but I am clearly and repeatedly saying that a neck that can't be adjusted is a very bad idea when you cannot know how the instrument will be played in the future, how it will be treated in the future, who's going to be playing it and what strings and even tunings they use.

I Have had people say it , but thats ok . And as far as Adjustment , I dont disagree with your thoughts . MY point is Peoples Inability to see past what they are doing long enough to test it , try and see what happens . In effect brushing off ideas , Lack of willingness to "Try something new" as it were .. I didnt say it was here either was just an observation of what people have said in general . Hesh I have done several thus far and the sound is better for sure , More projection. Is it going to sweep the world ? lol Noooo but Im having Fun experimenting idunno

PS I still use truss rods in alot of my builds pfft laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

I hear ya and I get ya Wud :). I'm not the best one to discuss innovation with because in my own experience building the 50ish that I produced and sold 45 of the more I tried to venture away from the typical Martin style of guitar the more my intellectual honesty over the results of my trials brought me back to the Martin style of building guitars.

But of course this was my experience and my journey your mileage may and does vary and that's pretty cool too. :)

Glad you realize that the difference between good and perfect may be a slight twist of a truss rod and not having a truss rod takes that possibility out of play. That's my point.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:37 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:57 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Colleen
Last Name: McTigue
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
Terence Kennedy wrote:
practiced by nerdy guys that built model planes and played with chemistry sets as kids.

Or nerdy girls who did those things too…

These users thanked the author Colleen_M for the post (total 5): Bryan Bear (Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:24 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:02 pm) • Durero (Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:35 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:33 pm) • Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:03 pm 

RogerHaggstrom wrote:
Hesh wrote:

For once I agree with you, I just thought it was an interesting side topic.

Start another thread if you can't stay on this thread's topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My pet peeve is the whole 'Magic Wood' argument, in all of it's variations, but particularly the one that insists you must use X top with Y back and sides. This is not to say that the wood doesn't affect the tone; only that thinking in terms of species, and dismissing the skill of the maker and the chance variation from piece is wrong.

I take issue with Hesh about nut compensation, though. Gore's reasoning is pretty clear and well backed up. I've been using nut compensation for some time now. One of the best examples I've seen of how well this can work was on a replica of an Elizabethan 'Bandora'; a wire strung bass cittern. It was very popular during the life time of the inventor, and a fair amount of good music was written for it, but it died out rapidly thereafter. There are no extant early ones. One of my students got a modern reproduction that, as with all of the ones he'd ever seen, had terrible intonation. The saddle slot had already been re-cut almost back to the pins, and the low string, in particular, was very far off. We tried shimming the contact point forward at the nut end, and got it to work well with a set-forward of about 6mm, iirc. Since the rest of the low strings also shared at least some of the problem we shimmed up the slot and re-cut the end of the fingerboard at a slant, expecting to cut the nut back as needed afterward. Surprisingly, that did the trick with no further mods.

When he came back for class a couple of weeks later the student brought a number of wood cuts from Elizabethan Bandora tutors, and all showed a slanted nut. Presumably the modern copyists have discounted that, as an artistic error, since we know better... ;) He has used that instrument in a number of concerts since, accompanying viols and other instruments in original music, and those in the know have been very complimentary about the sound and intonation of his instrument. Perhaps that bit of empirical knowledge was the inventor's 'secret'?

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 3): Terence Kennedy (Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:04 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:33 pm) • Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:26 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Moon spruce? I like my trees cut down in the daytime so nobody gets hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): rlrhett (Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:53 pm) • Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bcombs510 wrote:

If I have my Grand Kid drop his pants and sit on the Spruce , Does that make it "mooned spruce" ? laughing6-hehe I agree with your ? First time I saw that I was like "ok" But if people wanna try it ..... Go forr it, Experiment as I say [clap]

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post (total 2): Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:09 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:45 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:52 pm 

Al my dislike of nut compensation is not for Bandoras and as I mentioned classical guitars it is for steel string conventional, modern guitars. We can make the vast majority of intonation problems go away if the scale length is correct, the nut slots are cut very low and the saddle(s) have sufficient range and movement for the strings and tunings desired.

90% of compensation problems in a modern, steel string guitar with an accurate scale length is string stretch, unnecessary string stretch because of excessive effort required to play a poorly set-up instrument. Again I am not speaking of poorly located frets, bridge or a poorly built guitar. Bring the action down, set the relief correctly and most of all cut the nut slots so you are not stretching the hell out of a fretted note and in our considerable experience we have yet to not be able to satisfy the most demanding clients some of which are A-list sorts.

This seems to rub some here the wrong way and I wish we were in the same room because it's very easy to demonstrate and even easier to quantify with a strobe tuner and recorded before and after numbers.

Now intonation is also a function of we human bags of mostly water who all may press harder or not than the next guy and that can cause intonation issues too. That's why I used 90%. If we are correct that it's mostly string stretch, unnecessary string stretch for the specific instruments that I cited here that means individual players will suffer from this more and less depending on how hard they fret. So some of this can't be successfully always addressed but the vast majority of it can be vastly improved nearly at once by simply cutting the nut slots very low.

Al you have an open invitation to visit our shop and we would love to meet you and show you want we do. A lot of instruments including ethnic instrument used to be built in our shop and it's still all jigged up to build everything from that long harp that the slave drivers who used to play and beat the people rowing the boat to the rhythm to lutes. We inherited all this stuff that I am sure you would get a kick out of.

Regarding magic wood the whole notion of "tone wood" is laughable to me and always has been. You were here when someone built the MDF guitar and then brought it to our gathering in Ann Arbor. It sounded as good or better than some of the rosewood guitars..... Any wood is tone wood in the right hands and even Martin has proved that counter top can be tone wood, oh the horror... in the right machines.... ;)

Last edited by Hesh on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Bob Orr (Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:21 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:53 pm 

bcombs510 wrote:

I hate it when some people have better pot than I do.... :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:45 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
Brad Goodman wrote:
Brazilian Rosewood fretboards sound better than Ebony fretboards…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good example. On a related note Dave thinks that ebony should not be used as a fret board material because when it ages it gets brittle and chips during refrets. He greatly prefers rosewood for fret boards for the serviceability aspects.

You know too the BRW personal guitar was with wood from you, thanks again man!!! It's a great Guitar!!!

Yes, I remember the set! I still have a classical I made with the sister to that set.

My wife says that I never forget a meal...Same goes for sets of wood I have sold-lol

Interesting what Dave says about ebony vs. rosewood boards.

My experience has been that ebony "holds" a fret better because it is harder.

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:00 pm 

Here's three more from me.

The notion that fossilized Mastiff poop bridge pins makes a better guitar..... :) More specifically the fossilized stuff that sells for pretty high prices billed as tone enhancing, that's BS.

Or ivory as tone enhancing... not to mention both banned and dang unethical in many applications and possibly more.

AND the notion that certain bridge pins "sound" better than others being because of the pins someone purchased or made.

We find ourselves having to explain to our clients nearly weekly when it comes up that there is a change of mass because of the difference in pin material mass and in the sweet spot of the guitar too being responsible for any "change" for better or worse in the tone of the instrument. It's NOT the pin material it's it's mass. Some get it, some don't, some act like that dog on the back deck of the car in front of you bobbing it's head up and down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:06 pm 

Brad Goodman wrote:
Hesh wrote:
Brad Goodman wrote:
Brazilian Rosewood fretboards sound better than Ebony fretboards…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good example. On a related note Dave thinks that ebony should not be used as a fret board material because when it ages it gets brittle and chips during refrets. He greatly prefers rosewood for fret boards for the serviceability aspects.

You know too the BRW personal guitar was with wood from you, thanks again man!!! It's a great Guitar!!!

Yes, I remember the set! I still have a classical I made with the sister to that set.

My wife says that I never forget a meal...Same goes for sets of wood I have sold-lol

Interesting what Dave says about ebony vs. rosewood boards.

My experience has been that ebony "holds" a fret better because it is harder.

Great wood and you let me have a matching head plate, bridge blank and binding material too so the gutiar, my 10th I think is dipped in BRW and I love it!!

Regarding ebony he speaks of old, vintage stuff mostly although modern ebony can chip too. We do a lot of refrets and he's considered an authority on fret work so he's doing it nearly every day these days. We've developed methods to reduce chipping from ebony such as the bead of water next to the fret and the then the Weller soldering gun with notch filed in business end. We hear the water sizzle and when the fret starts to "lift" the chip wanna be doesn't fly across the room because of the water. Then we capture it, dry the board and glue it back down with thin CA.

But it's the chippy (is that a word) nature of the older ebony mostly that gives him fits.

I would agree with you that it is harder and I think it holds frets better too. It's when removing them that it's still holding them when we don't want it to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
Here's three more from me.

The notion that fossilized Mastiff poop bridge pins makes a better guitar..... :) More specifically the fossilized stuff that sells for pretty high prices billed as tone enhancing, that's BS.

Or ivory as tone enhancing... not to mention both banned and dang unethical in many applications and possibly more.

AND the notion that certain bridge pins "sound" better than others being because of the pins someone purchased or made.

We find ourselves having to explain to our clients nearly weekly when it comes up that there is a change of mass because of the difference in pin material mass and in the sweet spot of the guitar too being responsible for any "change" for better or worse in the tone of the instrument. It's NOT the pin material it's it's mass. Some get it, some don't, some act like that dog on the back deck of the car in front of you bobbing it's head up and down.

Agreed People hear stuff and then when you try and explain they do that jelly neck head bob , I dont have near your experience Hesh . however i have met several of those people too . Btw wouldnt that foss Mastiff poop be MS not BS Actually as long as Im here Im gonna say The Fossilized BS is much better at tone than the Fossilized MS

Last edited by WudWerkr on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:13 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next