Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Quote:
June 20, 2022

Valued RPM Wood Finishes Group Customers,
The RPM Wood Finishes Group continues to absorb significant price increases across the entirety of our raw material portfolio. As a result, a general price increase of 22% on products will go into effect July 4, 2022. Aerosol products will increase 12% effective July 4, 2022. The current 12% surcharge will be removed.

We want to assure you that we have and will continue to work hard to manage these costs and challenges. Our global Procurement and R&D teams are aggressively engaged in securing raw materials, even at elevated prices, to ensure the continued availability of the products you count on for your production facilities. Also, our manufacturing facilities have been operating on 6-day work weeks to ensure the outflow of products and keeping our delivery times as close to normal as possible. If these uncontrollable issues impact the production of your products, we will notify you immediately.

We certainly understand that this will have an impact on you and your customers. As always, the RPM Wood Finishes Group remains committed to providing quality products, with exceptional service at competitive prices. We appreciate your partnership through these unprecedented and volatile times. Your local RPM Wood Finishes Group Representative will contact you soon to update the product pricing specific to your operation.

Thank you for your business. Sincerely,

Ouch.

The good news is they removed the surcharge for shipping etc. that went on top of last year's price increase, and the raw materials are still largely US sourced.

The boys at Greenridge spent a bit of cash over the last couple months and have about 5 years of high use rate materials and supplies on hand, plus anything coming out of China that does not have an alternate source. Something about the pandemic speeding up the timeline by three years and the recent unpleasantness effectively taking a few more years off the clock.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Focus: Build
found akzo lacquer a true instrument lacquer Martin is using this and shirwinn williams lacquer I about gave up on mohawk I am a dealer for them and I can just don't think they have the quality of other lacquers

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

bluescreek wrote:
found akzo lacquer a true instrument lacquer Martin is using this and shirwinn williams lacquer I about gave up on mohawk I am a dealer for them and I can just don't think they have the quality of other lacquers

Where can I get the Akzo Lacquer?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wurth company industrial supply

Co President of ASIA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:30 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Do you have a part number or any other identifying code for the lacquer? My local Wurth distributor doesn’t seem to carry anything under the name “azko”…

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

One more question John, how does it compare to the old McFadden lacquer? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Cal
Last Name: Maier
City: Crossfield
State: AB
Josh, the name is AkzoNobel coatings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So far this is the best lacquer I have used. It is a true instrument lacquer it polishes well
sands nice and it works with Devilbiss SriPro and may Fugi semipro gun

Co President of ASIA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 am 
Koa
Koa

Cal Maier wrote:
Josh, the name is AkzoNobel coatings.

Thanks Cal. Looking at their site, they offer several different nitros…

John - is it one of these which you’re using?

I want to move away from Mohawk as the last couple cans I’ve used seems more prone to early crazing than in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chemlack 441-2190-D5PRS
top coat gloss
comes in 5 gallon

Co President of ASIA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks John, that has helped me find it. For others looking It isn’t listed on the AkzoNobel website but on Chemcraft.com:

http://chemcraft.com/mpi/detail/NitroProdDetail/1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:02 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Just wanted to interject a little slice of how I think here if you don't mind. When someone greatly increases the price on something that I use I consider it a service to me. It's an opportunity for me to check out the competition once again while I'm all pissed off at the price increase and maybe, maybe take my business elsewhere.

During the height of the pandemic before there were any vaccinations available I survived on curb side service where some brave store worker shopped my list and then filled my trunk with **** that I didn't order.

Got to try new products and brands that I had never used before especially in the pasta area and low and behold I liked the new to me stuff better, way better. So my buying habits changed and getting the wrong stuff in my trunk ended up being a good thing except for my arteries. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I found this by accident just like you Hesh I found out from Martin the finish they were using. I knew the akzo was one of them I didnlt realize they were also using shirwinn williams . Coincidentally the salesman for WURTH is also a friend of my son. He delivers it for me so no hazmat. This stuff is so much better than the mowhawk. I can control my spray room rh and temp and with forced air I can actually sand in 48 hrs.

Co President of ASIA

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Hesh (Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I have a question, and it is not limited to nitrocellulose lacquer. Some folks advocate using finish materials that are specially formulated for musical instruments, as opposed to being formulated for wood surfaces in general, because of the different characteristics that are desired. Using these types of lacquers identified above, like akzo and Sherwin Williams, clearly does not follow that line of thought, right? Those products are formulated for all types of wood surfaces. Is the idea of using instrument-specific finishing materials something that can be ignored? I appreciate your thoughts on this.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 3): Hesh (Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:38 am) • bcombs510 (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm) • Barry Daniels (Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Instrument lacquer typically has more plasticizers in the formula to allow for the greater expansion on thin wooden plates. I have seen furniture lacquers craze in various environments and prefer to avoid that. So far, Cardinal lacquer is working well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

cardinal is one I used but since I do so much finish the Azko is a true commercial instrument finish. If you can find it try it.

Co President of ASIA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

doncaparker wrote:
I have a question, and it is not limited to nitrocellulose lacquer. Some folks advocate using finish materials that are specially formulated for musical instruments, as opposed to being formulated for wood surfaces in general, because of the different characteristics that are desired. Using these types of lacquers identified above, like akzo and Sherwin Williams, clearly does not follow that line of thought, right? Those products are formulated for all types of wood surfaces. Is the idea of using instrument-specific finishing materials something that can be ignored? I appreciate your thoughts on this.

I think probably there’s also a distinction to be drawn between finishes intended for “wood” vs many that are squarely aimed at the cabinet making industry and intended for spraying on inert veneered mdf-substrate.

Regardless, if volume manufacturers are using a product without catastrophic issues it suggests that it is generally fit for purpose, given the right application schedule.

For years I’ve used Behlen/Mohawk “classic instrument lacquer” which claims to be more flexible than standard nitro but I found it to be as prone to checking as anything else. Recent batches seem to be getting worse in this regard …

Beware also of the finish company’s marketing department, which is not above noticing that there exists a demographic of keen hobby builders who don’t at all mind spending a little extra for the premium “instrument version” of a finish …