All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Tru Oil & Oil Finishes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
I’ve used danish oil on necks and electric solid bodies, but no experience with Tru Oil. Something that I use quite often on necks and all types of wood projects is a mix of linseed oil, mineral spirits, and oil based poly all in equal parts and this works very well for wiping.

I’ve have always avoided using danish or any kind of oil finish on acoustic tops out of fear it would penetrate the wood and alter things in a negative way. Recently I have seen fellows claiming they are using tru oil on acoustic tops and like the results. Have I been mistaken in believing that oil based finishes could negatively impact the instrument acoustic properties when applied to the sound board, is Tru Oil unique in some way or am I missing something? I suppose with a good sealer coat of something prior to an oil based application would work but I don’t know never tried it on a top.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Oil finishes do tend to damp the sound if they soak into the wood. A light coat of a drying oil can be used to enhance the the color and "pop" the grain of some woods.
That being said, Tru-oil is not a true oil finish. It is a "Var- oil" . Essentially a wipe on varnish. The initial coat will soak in a little bit and polymerize and seal the wood. Subsequent coats will build on the surface. It is a "thin" material so many coats are used to build a finish, similar to French polish.
Here is some additional reading for your edification:
https://askinglot.com/what-is-tru-oil-made-of
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/vi ... ?tid=12156

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Slim (Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:39 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mike
Last Name: McNerney
City: Ottawa
State: On
Focus: Build
Ken Parker coats with epoxy (west I think) then tru oil. he has some videos on it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
Tru-oil is great for necks. Especially electric ones.

mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've gotten conflicting reports as to the nature of Tru-Oil. Some say that it is a mix of varnish and oil, while others claim it's linseed oil that has been heated in the absence of air to polymerize it. I rather incline toward the latter explanation at present.

Martin Schleske did a study, reported in the 'Journal' of the Catgut Acoustical Society in Nov. of '98, comparing the effects of various finishes, including drying oils and oil-resin varnishes. He found that straight linseed oil on wood added mass and damping, but did not provide a good water proof film over the long term. Linseed oil has fractions of different molecular weight, and the lightest ones can penetrate deeply into the wood before they harden, so it tends to add a lot more mass than something that forms a film on the surface. All of the finishes that had il in them, even the cooked oil-resin varnishes, added damping, more or less in proportion to the fraction of oil in their makeup; so 'long oil' or 'spar' varnishes added more damping than 'short oil' , 'rubbing' varnishes.

I'm pretty sure it was Mayer in his 'Artist's Handbook of Materials and Methods' who pointed out that linseed oil never really stops reacting with oxygen, shrinking and getting harder as it does so. Over time a coating of oil can actually cause canvas to 'rot', tearing it up as it shrinks. This necessitates the common restoration practice of 're-lining' a painting: stripping the old canvas off the back of the paint layer and putting a new canvas on.

I'll note that none of this directly addresses the long-term effects of Tru-oil. If I was more sure of what the stuff is I'd be more sure of that. If, as I suspect, it's a polymerized linseed oil, then it would have few, if any, low molecular weight fractions, and should not penetrate deeply. That would limit the added mass and damping. It's possible that Tru-oil does produce a water proof (rather than merely water repellant) film. I note that, as a gun stock finish, it's meant to be re-applied periodically, which would renew it's water repelling ability. I have used Tru-oil as a neck finish when so requested, but I avoid putting it on tops. I suppose the whole thing could be settled if we just asked Sherwood-Casey what it is... ;)

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:50 am) • Slim (Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:07 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:01 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
On tops I seal first with a couple of coats of Shellac then Tru Oil on top. Works well for me

These users thanked the author Bob Orr for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:50 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:51 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Last Name: LaTorre
City: Sacramento
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95820
I know this thread is old, but it seems to be the best place for this question:

Now that Tru-Oil is increasingly difficult to get here in California (LMII no longer carries it, and most of the gun stores can't get fresh stuff anymore), what would be the next best thing for guitar necks? I've been using Tru-Oil exclusively for necks, but my current stock is over three years old and I don't really trust it now.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
I've ordered it on Amazon....no problem in delivery to CA then. Looks like only 3oz and 32oz (no 8oz) in stock now. https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... =8-39&th=1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I used it on one guitar once and like Bob I seal with shellac so even if it does penetrate wood it will not if sealed. It's so easy to use and the results are so good I don't know why I don't use more of it. I have seen others work using Tru-Oil too and the results were fantastic. That would be a shame if the company stops making it or reformulates it for what ever reasons.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: JLT (Tue May 03, 2022 7:26 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:26 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

CarlD wrote:
I've ordered it on Amazon....no problem in delivery to CA then. Looks like only 3oz and 32oz (no 8oz) in stock now. https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... =8-39&th=1

Strange, because the last bottle I got at the gun shop here was labeled "Not for Sale in California.

I'll have to look into it further.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

jfmckenna wrote:
I used it on one guitar once and like Bob I seal with shellac so even if it does penetrate wood it will not if sealed. It's so easy to use and the results are so good I don't know why I don't use more of it. I have seen others work using Tru-Oil too and the results were fantastic. That would be a shame if the company stops making it or reformulates it for what ever reasons.

I've finished one whole guitar and one mandolin with it, and was quite happy with the results. But I find it most useful for parts that get a lot of handling, like necks.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Hey John,
Order it , if it's not delivered, Amazon will refund it. [:Y:]
Use the link ^^^ to support OLF. :)

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: JLT (Wed May 04, 2022 1:10 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:34 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

It turns out that I've found a partially used bottle and an unopened bottle in my supply cabinet. I've tested the open stuff and still found it good, so I think I'm set for the next half-dozen necks. (I use the Behlen/Mohawk rattle-can nitrocellulose on the bodies.)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
I have used tru-oil many times and have been very pleased with the results . It is very forgiving and easy to repair .

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/