Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Bolt on necks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
This is the first I've heard of using lag bolts. I don't think that's a good idea. I've had a problem with hanger bolts on my banjo and my brothers dobro getting pulled out. I really don't like either and would prefer the larger inserts with more bite in the wood.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
banjopicks wrote:
This is the first I've heard of using lag bolts. I don't think that's a good idea. I've had a problem with hanger bolts on my banjo and my brothers dobro getting pulled out. I really don't like either and would prefer the larger inserts with more bite in the wood.

Details, please :) Real-world failures are some of the most valuable tidbits of information. What diameter hanger bolts? How deep into the wood? Any chance the holes were drilled too large so the threads didn't get enough bite? Were you screwing into endgrain alone, or did you glue in a dowel running vertically down the heel? What diameter dowel?

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): banjopicks (Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 am) • Bryan Bear (Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:45 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Admittedly the reason why I switched over from a dovetail to a bolt on was becasue of the success of the Taylor design. I adopted it and so far have not gone back with the exception of a few instruments.

I can see what Dennis is saying though, is there really anything different from screwing in wood screw threaded inserts versus wood screw threaded lag bolts?

In fact one could make the argument that screwing in a large insert to take a 3/32nd inch bolt is even more that necessary to jsut drive a 1/4in lag screw in.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. For me though I'm happy with the original Taylor design. I'm also greatful to them that they were one of the first large companies to push this into acceptable territory. Having worked in a Taylor music shop in the 90's in Martin influenced Appalachia I remember countless arguments over the 'neck joint wars.'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
joshnothing wrote:
DennisK wrote:
Taylor managed to make the term "bolt-on neck" acceptable, and hanger bolts can hitch a ride on that popularity, whereas lag screws cannot.

That’s true and at least round these parts Fender-style electric guitar construction is referred to as ‘bolt-on’ too despite the fact they’re clearly wood screws [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Fender managed to muddy the meaning of multiple guitar terms:

Bolt-on neck that is actually a screwed-on neck
Tremolo bridge which is actually a vibrato bridge
Vibrato in early Fender amps which was actually tremolo

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Durero (Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm) • joshnothing (Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:21 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
J De Rocher wrote:
joshnothing wrote:
DennisK wrote:
Taylor managed to make the term "bolt-on neck" acceptable, and hanger bolts can hitch a ride on that popularity, whereas lag screws cannot.

That’s true and at least round these parts Fender-style electric guitar construction is referred to as ‘bolt-on’ too despite the fact they’re clearly wood screws [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Fender managed to muddy the meaning of multiple guitar terms:

Bolt-on neck that is actually a screwed-on neck
Tremolo bridge which is actually a vibrato bridge
Vibrato in early Fender amps which was actually tremolo

Leo just couldn’t stop innovating :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
DennisK wrote:
banjopicks wrote:

Details, please :) Real-world failures are some of the most valuable tidbits of information. What diameter hanger bolts? How deep into the wood? Any chance the holes were drilled too large so the threads didn't get enough bite? Were you screwing into endgrain alone, or did you glue in a dowel running vertically down the heel? What diameter dowel?

These were both standard 1/4" hanger bolts that came with the instruments. I had nothing to do with them. My fault on the banjo, I was trying to distort the rim a little to change the angle, those rims are stiff [headinwall] .

My brothers dobro, I think Beard or something like that, an expensive one anyway, was left in his son in-laws basement while he was building a house on the property. It was about 3 years before he got his Martin and dobro out to start playing again. The Martin case had to be thrown in the garbage due to mold but the guitar was fine. The dobro neck had pulled up quite a bit so I took it apart and tightened it but of course it pulled out again after I strung it up. Next time I see him, I'll have to fix the hole so it doesn't pull out again.

In my opinion, it wouldn't have happened on either instrument if they had inserts. I know these are extraordinary cases but, it is what it is. Better to build idiot proof because you never know.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Talking of stresses on a guitar, has anyone watched Tommy Emmanuel play?

I would want the neck very firmly affixed for him and his ilk!

Cheers Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I've seen Tommy Emmanuel play live. It's quite an experience! Listening to a recording, or watching a video, doesn't quite stir the same awe that I had in that moment. To your point, he roughs up his guitars, for sure, and gives the neck a very aggressive bend every so often. The neck needs a super solid attachment method for somebody like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
doncaparker wrote:
I've seen Tommy Emmanuel play live. It's quite an experience! ….

For sure!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5