Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Stuart
Last Name: Gort
Focus: Build
I've been through three USB microscopes so far....all made in China....all sent with no instructions for either assembly or use. Nice.

These photos are taken with a cheap hand held version. Still looking for the proper, quality product for super macrophotography without spending a small fortune on a macro lens ($1200+). I'm probably spinning my wheels trying to find a cheaper solution for photos like these...

This is the fret groove filled with a piece of 1/8th" drill rod. I did a number of tests to determine to optimal groove width for restraining the fret material. I want it to just set in the groove with no pressure and no loose fit. It has to be perfect.

Once these grooves are cut into the fretboard the drill rod is lightly glued into place with a tiny amount of epoxy, enough to make sure the entire bottom half of the pin and groove are contacted. After that cures, I'll fill the top gaps to lock it fully into place. After that cures I'll put it back on the cnc machine and cut the glue fillets into something quite presentable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Why not use a 2X converter and/or extension tubes on a DSLR or mirrorless camera? Extension tubes are a cheap add on (+/- $25) available for most interchangable lens cameras for macrophotography.
Do you use microscopes much? Somewhere in my collection of junk I have some industrial type optical microscopes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
A camera adapter on an industrial inspection microscope can do the trick. I picked up a nice used one that I use for engraving off of Ebay for a couple of hundred bucks (for the microscope itself--a stereo zoom scope). Here's a link to some new ones, including some with built in cameras: https://microscopecentral.com/collections/engraving-microscopes Here's a link to camera adapters: https://microscopecentral.com/pages/search-results?q=camera%20adapter&page_num=5

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I ordered a cheap macro lens replacement for the Canon Rebel. The price of a cheap lens is the same as RENT on a good one. I'll see what it does.

Basically, the standard lens that came with the camera (which won't bounce playfully off a cement floor) produced fairly good macro still shots (see photo). A cheap macro lens without image stabilization is fine for my studio...as long as it focuses well. I wouldn't ordinarily buy cheap stuff...but the least lens I truly desire here is $1300.

I could just replace the lens I have....but a macro lens is probably more proper for the photography I do.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yes....I use various microscopes in a more geological life...trying to get some crossover utility from rocks to guitars. I'm considering a Petrography microscope in continuance of that topic (no other application for that microscope). That's a whole process for getting to a very specific picture...including full sample preparation that involves tools that are QUITE expensive...unless you enjoy making tools....which I do.

Yes....I chose a hobby that got me outdoors AND forced me to make tooling.

For instance, recently I was in natural water (a stream with a little water hole in it) up to my neck. It's been 40 years since that happened. If you never hear from me again...my body is probably floating toward the Pacific in the grand continuum...the great Columbia River.

Dude....rock and roll.

StuMusic