It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Loose battery pack
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Every now and then we have these lofty, iconic discussions. Polyester vs. nitro. Parabolic bracing and all the rest. Should guitars even look good?

This is not that.

Friends, I have a loose LR Baggs battery pack. Nothing I do seems to make the sticky side of the Velcro stay put against the interior side of my guitar. I’m at the point of considering super glue, which sounds less than ideal. Do any of you have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 am)

Post subject: Re: Loose battery pack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hey James don't glue it. We pitch the old part that is supposed to be stuck to the guitar and install a new one after a naphtha wipe and some time to dry all the way. You can purchase lots of velcro from any supplier of tape for pedal boards.

But before just replacing the tape let's prevent this from happening again. People stick the battery in all manner of places and that's often the issue not just the tape. Once gravity pulls the bag with velcro off the guitar that piece of velcro is finished.

So I place my velcro butted against the upper side of the neck block so for a right handed player this would be the left side of the rim butted to the neck block. This way when the battery is in the bag and it has a little slop it naturally rests on the neck block in the playing position hence reducing the pull on the velcro for the most part. To be more clear the velcro is not on the neck block but next to it and that battery is in the black bag with it's side resting in the neck block.

We have a considerable number of our clients as gigging musicians so this is a very common issue. The fix above has never not worked to our knowledge once installed this way unless it Peter Townshend :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: James Orr (Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you thank you, Hesh.

It’s always fun to take it to work. “You built this?!” “I sure did. Disregard that clunking sound inside.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:52 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Generally they come loose because the area attached hasn't been thoroughly cleaned of dust. Once it falls off, that piece is done, replace as Hesh suggests. I've had to remove ones where people tried to superglue it on and it's...not fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I sent an email explaining the predicament and asked if I could purchase a replacement velcro strip, and they're sending another out free.

I have a lot of love for LR Baggs. I chose the Lyric back in 2016 after demoing the Anthem, Lyric, and another internal mic only pickup system. The Anthem and Lyric were by far the most pleasing to my ears.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:53 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
3M VHB
Slightly cushioned mounting tape. I have a piece right in front of me that is 1"x1 1/2". Readily available and in different sizes, can be trimmed so it doesn't show, sticks to just about anything and in extreme weather. Can be removed, albeit with a bit of work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:34 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
James Orr wrote:
I sent an email explaining the predicament and asked if I could purchase a replacement velcro strip, and they're sending another out free.

I have a lot of love for LR Baggs. I chose the Lyric back in 2016 after demoing the Anthem, Lyric, and another internal mic only pickup system. The Anthem and Lyric were by far the most pleasing to my ears.

I'm a fan of Baggs too. Many of the gigging musicians in our neck of the woods are loyal Anthem users and most have the preamp too. My only amplified acoustic, my beloved "mule" that I had ten different tops on before I settled on one and what my style of bracing would be has a Lyric in it. The Lyric was given to me by a player who liked it so much that they upgraded to an Anthem and asked me if I wanted the Lyric. Sure :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
A lyric, paired with a Venue preamp, has been my favorite for a few years now.

I have in my shop a James May Engineering Ultra Tonic pickup, and a Tonedexter modeling preamp, to experiment with when I have time. This combination is supposed to be very good. The secret sauce (or so I have been told) is to actually pay attention to how well you are "recording" your guitar for the modeling process. I own some really nice microphones (Neumann KM84), so I'm going to see just how good the modeling can be.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:54 am)