Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hey all, long time since I posted on here. I’ve had a couple of guitars come back to me for repair with the same issue — in places where the hand is in contact with the finish, mainly the back of the neck, the lacquer has raised bumps with little hazy delaminations underneath. They appear as little white dots always directly over pores. Obviously it’s related to either heat or body chemistry , but I’d really like to know definitively what’s going on so as to avoid it going forward. My theory is that either the lacquer (Cardinal) is reacting to the player’s hand sweat/heat, then delaminating from the Zpoxy pore filler, or it’s taking the zpoxy with it and pulling it out of the pores. There’s also the fact that I use a barrier coat of shellac between them, so that could be at play as well. Here’s a look:
ImageImageImage

I know a lot of folks on here use that same combination, so I’m hoping someone has similar experience with this and can shed some light on what might be causing this recurring issue. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
not sure if it is your issue but after zpoxy and other epoxies cure they leave an amine blush on the surface. This can cause even the seal coat to not adhere properly. Luckily enough the blush is water solvable and can be washed off.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Ken Jones (Thu May 27, 2021 2:51 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Andy
Last Name: Bounsall
City: Ottawa
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: K2H 7C7
Agree that it might be the result of amine blush. Also, verify that the shellac you’re using fully de-waxed.

These users thanked the author Andy Bounsall for the post: Ken Jones (Thu May 27, 2021 2:51 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Would naphtha take off the amine blush? My final application of zpoxy I typically thin with grain alcohol and wipe it on, let cure, scuff sand to remove nibs, then pretty thoroughly wash it down with naphtha before applying shellac. My shellac is dewaxed platina flake.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken Jones wrote:
Would naphtha take off the amine blush? My final application of zpoxy I typically thin with grain alcohol and wipe it on, let cure, scuff sand to remove nibs, then pretty thoroughly wash it down with naphtha before applying shellac. My shellac is dewaxed platina flake.

Amine blush is a formation of 'salts'. Salts dissolve in water, they do not dissolve in thinners or spirits based products. Water works great to dissolve salts.

Zpoxy is on the bad side for amine blush.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Ken Jones (Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
I've used and like Z-poxy. I did have some spotty problems with blushing on one guitar. Sanding seemed to work on that one. Someone suggested a naphtha wipe and I didn't have the same problem on a couple subsequent guitars. Naphtha being a wetting agent might have helped removal w/o dissolving it. I'm not that good a chemist to say for sure.

From what I read after I think John has a point about solubility of some amines.

Even though it's about floor coatings, this article gave me plenty to think about with epoxy finish coatings or pore fill.

https://www.paintsquare.com/library/articles/Amine_Blushing_and_Blooming_of_Epoxy.pdf

I could understand the points made without the equations. Mostly have low humidity and a warm space to work in.

Made me think about recommendations to apply a solvent thinned epoxy for a final coat possibly causing condensation on the cooled surface under the right humidity conditions being a bad idea.

I think SilverTip is supposed to be designed to reduce amine problems if I remember right when I ordered some to try.

I also thought maybe an alcohol wipe post cure might be effective, but I'm just thinking and don't know for sure.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post: Ken Jones (Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've used Z Poxy with good luck, but I've been moving back towards less "chemically" fillers like Aqua Coat or shellac and pumice. I've been using waterborne Enduro Var with Aqua Coat and I like what I'm getting. I still use a lot of shellac and french polish too.

I have autoimmune problems, and I've been moving more and more towards finishes that avoid weird chemicals as much as possible. I'd like to be able to keep doing this lutherie thing for awhile. But epoxy would be one of those weird chemicals...

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: Ken Jones (Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I’ve used Z-Poxy on all of my guitars, and two with Cardinal.

The first Z/Cardinal guitar had some issues that made the finish look like a peeling sunburn. That turned out to be an adhesion problem. I can’t remember if it was because I didn’t use the Cardinal sealer at all, or if it was because I just waited too long after using it, but once I followed the sealer directions and sprayed the first coat of lacquer within 24 hours, all was well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Ken Jones (Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I should mention that in both cases, it took several years for these issues to appear, and it’s primarily happening on the back of the neck. Also, I’ve used the Zpoxy/Cardinal combo successfully on at least 30 guitars, between builds and refins. That makes me think that in these two cases it likely has something to do with the owners’ body chemistry causing the lacquer to bubble, which then delaminates from the epoxy.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Ken Jones wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I should mention that in both cases, it took several years for these issues to appear, and it’s primarily happening on the back of the neck. Also, I’ve used the Zpoxy/Cardinal combo successfully on at least 30 guitars, between builds and refins. That makes me think that in these two cases it likely has something to do with the owners’ body chemistry causing the lacquer to bubble, which then delaminates from the epoxy.

That was going to be my suggestion too if a result of longer term use.
Anything else tends to show up relatively soon after finishing.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Ken Jones (Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken Jones wrote:

I have that sort of body chemistry and it does result in a rough feeling spotty back. I agree that it can be what you are seeing. I missed that this happened after a long period of time.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
If the epoxy is not marketed as blush and bloom free, it is not. MAAS, System 3, and West all offer blush-free formulations, with System 3 Silvertip the preferred water-clear formulation used in the shop where I worked for a number of years. Z-Poxy - although easy to work with in terms of mixing and viscosity - is problematic with regard to blush, so was not in use in that shop.

Soap or detergent (as a wetting agent and surface tension modifier) and water is the usual treatment for epoxy-filled wood where the epoxy is blush-prone...use it prior to sanding back to wood or sanding to level. Even with this treatment, we refinished several Z-Poxy filled instruments with finish separations that showed up after 2-5 years. No issues with Silvertip or West 105/207 under lacquer, 2K polyurethane, or waterbased finishes such as Endurovar and High Performance since the transition to those fillers.

To be blunt, humans sweat and dump water, dead skin cells, filth, and salts onto guitar finishes. These penetrate lacquer and react with whatever is available. With a pH of less than 7, the reaction products between amine salts and perspiration may be visible beneath the surface. All of the guitars we refinished were owned by men (generally more acidic perspiration) and played on a daily basis.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): johnparchem (Mon May 31, 2021 9:21 am) • Colin North (Mon May 31, 2021 7:09 am) • Ken Jones (Mon May 31, 2021 7:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Excellent info, Woodie, many thanks. I just ordered the quart size of the Sustem Three Silvertip. Honestly, I’ve been wanting to get away from Zpoxy for a while now, for other reasons, but now that I’ve been schooled on amine blush, I’m done. Too bad I just bought a new kit of Zpoxy...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I had something like that happen on a neck with water base KTM9, over zpoxy. It got gummy where the players hand was. I use to spray the water base directly on the zpoxy. About the time that happened, I switched to Cardinal Luthierlac over their vinyl sealer, over Clear Coat. My procedure since then has been System Three Clearcoat on bare, clean wood, dry for minimum 3 days in good conditions, (75-degree minimun for 72 hrs) up to 7 days if marginal conditions, (65-degree minimun for 72 hrs) followed by 2 coats Cardinal Vinyl sealer (10 minutes between coats, then within 20 minutes after sealer start 10 coats lutherlac.

No Problem Now!

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Ken Jones (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:07 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken, I had the same thing happen to me long ago. I no longer use epoxy out of caution.
Here's a link to my old post about it.
viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=33300

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Ken Jones (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:07 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Much like glues or finishes, there are products that work better for instrument fillers than others. Avoid blooming or blushing epoxies by sticking with products which are known to be suitable under guitar finishes like System3 Silvertip, West 105/207, or the MAAS blush and bloom-free formulations. Since going to Silvertip under lacquer, 2K poly, and EnduroVar, no issues in the shop where I worked, and as of last month, we had not seen any reports from other users of issues with those filler/finish combinations.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)