Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Stain with Supersoft II
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Bending a back strap of Black limba on a hot iron at 230 deg C using a SS bending strap.
The wood was wet with SS II and on the side with the strap I was a bit taken a when I found a strong black stain.
It sanded out fortunately, but I've not seen this before.
Took a photo of the strap, forget to take one of the wood.... duh
This just wiped off the strap with a paper towel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
You weren't going for ebonized limba?
I get little red dots on my stuff sometimes. Crazy. They sand out too.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
why so hot you only need 275F

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Have you bent sides before when they were still wet with SS II?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

J De Rocher wrote:
Have you bent sides before when they were still wet with SS II?

No, first time.
The side against the aluminium bending iron was unmarked. so I must have been a reaction between the stainless steel strap and the SS.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I've noticed that pigments in wood can be mobilized by SS II when the SS II is still wet on the wood. Could the stain be pigment from a dark section of the black limba that migrated under heat?

I haven't tried bending sides when they were still wet with SS II. I let them dry first. So I don't know if that can be a problem or not. I do know that pigments were mobilized in all the colored woods I've used SS II on. When I spray bindings with SS II, color runs out of the wood onto the newspaper I lay the bindings on for spraying. When I spray sides, I leave them overnight between paper towels under a weight and I remove the paper towels in the morning. For colored woods, the paper towels are always colored from pigment that came out of the wood while it was still wet.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

J De Rocher wrote:
I've noticed that pigments in wood can be mobilized by SS II when the SS II is still wet on the wood. Could the stain be pigment from a dark section of the black limba that migrated under heat?

I haven't tried bending sides when they were still wet with SS II. I let them dry first. So I don't know if that can be a problem or not. I do know that pigments were mobilized in all the colored woods I've used SS II on. When I spray bindings with SS II, color runs out of the wood onto the newspaper I lay the bindings on for spraying. When I spray sides, I leave them overnight between paper towels under a weight and I remove the paper towels in the morning. For colored woods, the paper towels are always colored from pigment that came out of the wood while it was still wet.

As I said, no stain on the wood against the hot (aluminium) iron, only on the strap side.
I've also seen colour leached out of the wood - e.g. EIR, Zircote, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:31 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Oxalic acid in a saturated solution (at least 5% oxalic acid by weight) for iron stain removal may save you some sanding time. Oak and other higher-tannin timbers are more prone to iron-staining, so your limba might fit into that category as well. Neutralize the oxalic acid with distilled water wipes or a distilled water/household ammonia or distilled water/baking soda wipe.

The oxalic acid treatment converts a visible form of the product of the ferric iron-tannic acid reaction to a colorless form. If I recall correctly, the Forest Products Laboratory has a paper on this topic, and covers a bit more of the chemistry.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)