Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Dave and I launched Ann Arbor Guitars on April fools day :) 2013.

Other than a pandemic slowing us down for the last year it's been the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. With that said maybe I should repair guitars, never mind.....

Anyway I met Dave (David Collins) here on the OLF even though we both lived in the same town the People's Republic of Ann Arbor we had never met.

Many of the early vendors here and members were our suppliers at one time and may still be.

It's been a roaring success and now the business has matured with more business than we often want and famous clients who keep it fun for us.

Had it not been for the OLF and the special flavor of friendship and intense interest in this subject matter Ann Arbor Guitars would not have existed.

A special thanks to Mario and Rick for their unique, no BS mentorship and many, many others here too past and present for helping me especially make the jump to L speed (Luthier). And a special thanks to the entire OLF community for your support and business in many cases.

Thanks.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 9): SteveCourtright (Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am) • Clinchriver (Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm) • Durero (Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 pm) • James Orr (Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:34 am) • Terence Kennedy (Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:27 pm) • DanKirkland (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:39 pm) • Pmaj7 (Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm) • Chris Pile (Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:15 pm) • Smylight (Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:24 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Focus: Repair
And Hesh, I take to opportunity to thank YOU for having helped so many others here, including me.

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:09 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Happy birthday to Ann Arbor Guitars and may there be many more.

On a side note, honestly, I've been more busy during this pandemic then I have ever been. I think people pulled grandpa's old guitar out of the attic becasue they needed something to do only to find the guitar was in some serious disrepair.

A couple friends of mine who are bicycle mechanics have said the same thing.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:09 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
You're still wet behind the ears.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:09 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Happy Birthday guys, thanks for the all the help, appreciated.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Smylight wrote:
And Hesh, I take to opportunity to thank YOU for having helped so many others here, including me.

Ditto!

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
Congratulations and thank you all the help and assistance you have provided here. I follow your neck angle and set up method every time now and never have any more problems.

These users thanked the author Bob Orr for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Congratulations hesh!
I hope you are doing well.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Congratulations Hesh and Dave,
All the Best to you!

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Congrats, Hesh!

I will be up to see you once the world is vaccinated. ;)

I’m one shot down one to go myself!

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Thanks for your rational and articulate voice. Your postings have been treasure for me. Thank you.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Happy Birthday AA Guitars and congrats Dave and Hesh!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Congrats and many thanks to you and Dave for the help and education you’ve provided!

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chapeau!

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Hi hesh an dave, congratulations on a great an successful biz. You realize that it only gets better !! cheers from OKC.!

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Congratulations, Hesh!

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Congratulations Hesh! It's great thing in the world of lutherie when someone finds success in pursuing their passion. It is deserving of acknowledgement and celebration!

BTW: My SJ Heshtone looks and plays like the day you gave it to me so many years ago now. Given how lightly braced it is, I used to be worried that I would find it one day imploded on its stand in my living room. The setup and action hasn't budged and I am amazed at how relatively immune to humidity changes this guitar is. She purrs like a kitten when softly played and roars like a lion when strummed aggressively.

Continued success and happiness!

These users thanked the author Anthony Z for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Congratulations Hesh. I've never run a business, but I see them fail all the time.

I'm especially glad to see you back on the forum. Your posts are longer and more detailed. As a newbie on guitars, I need help some times. I've found that the MVA helped my violin making some, by actually meeting people and getting feedback. The AA area is a luthier Mecca, and the guys I've met there are great guys.

So maybe there is something in the water there?

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:35 pm 

Anthony Z wrote:
Congratulations Hesh! It's great thing in the world of lutherie when someone finds success in pursuing their passion. It is deserving of acknowledgement and celebration!

BTW: My SJ Heshtone looks and plays like the day you gave it to me so many years ago now. Given how lightly braced it is, I used to be worried that I would find it one day imploded on its stand in my living room. The setup and action hasn't budged and I am amazed at how relatively immune to humidity changes this guitar is. She purrs like a kitten when softly played and roars like a lion when strummed aggressively.

Many thanks Anthony I really appreciate the feedback and very glad to hear that your Heshtone is playing well for you. I hope that you are doing great too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm 

Ken Nagy wrote:
The AA area is a luthier Mecca, and the guys I've met there are great guys.

So maybe there is something in the water there?

Hi Ken and thank you for your kind comments. Yes there most certainly is something in the water here and this was the very first town in the United States to legalize pot. :)

From Dan E. to Bryon Gallop to now David Collins my business partner some of the top Luthiers are from the A2 area. We also have or had artists like Iggy Pop, Bob Seeger, Ted Nugent, the Mc5, Brownsville station and of course 30 miles down the road the Mecca of Motown "Hitsville" Mowtown studios.

Notables such as Eric Clapton with his paisley SG were at the Herb David Guitar Studio that preceded us in our building to get his SG repaired. John Lennon was in the same store, Herb's and the chair that he sat in while strumming a Martin was in our building on display for 50 years.

These days we've got Robert Hurst as a regular client he played bass on the Tonight show for ten years, is a professor at the University and is on dozens and dozens of albums. Michigan's own Jeff Daniels is also a regular and his son Ben. Mark Knoffler has been to our place along with Robben Ford.

Dave threw out Keefer Sutherland one day because he irritated him :)

So it's always fun and interesting and you never know who is going to show up. We seem to be on the circuit for performers performing in Detroit and at the Ark in A2.

Anyway thanks for your well wishes and when we reopen to the public you are very welcome to visit we have lots of cool things to show builders that Herb left there.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Congratulations, Hesh and Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
Anthony Z wrote:

Many thanks Anthony I really appreciate the feedback and very glad to hear that your Heshtone is playing well for you. I hope that you are doing great too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
Anthony Z wrote:

Hesh, a big phew on the longstanding great performance of the Heshtone as I doubt it would qualify for warranty work from AA...lol. (so kidding).

I am happy to report all is well on my end. This pandemic and inability to do much else has motivated a fairly major garage/shop reno (and junk clearing), bringing in more circuits/amperage, upgrading a few stationary tools and organization of tools, 4000 watt heater (for the colder months) with the goal of starting to build again.

These users thanked the author Anthony Z for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:19 am) • James Orr (Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well congratulations on the 8 year anniversary and also on surviving the China plague. Happy to know you guys are still pluggin' away up there. I hope to visit again someday when the world gets back to normal (if it ever does, LOL)

These users thanked the author joe white for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
I have a grand-baby about that age...fun, fractious, and never a dull moment. I hope your business remains a similar source of enjoyable mayhem.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 am)