Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Hey Lance&Brock!
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
MichaelP wrote:
<LOL> shaking my head

I still need a scratching my head emoticon Eat Drink

Ill work on that one Michael!

Ya know, I see a pattern here.

This is not the first time that Mario has stepped in, tossed an insult or two around, voiced a sarcastic opinion and then checked out.

Leaving us all to respond.

My wife tells me that "he must be getting something out of this behavior". I tend to agree with her. She is a wise woman.
This is not the first time she has commented on his behavior.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Looks like we need to get some guys in here with black and white stripe shirts and a whistle.
http://www.mmatko.com/this-is-why-you-l ... ournament/

Last edited by Mark Ewing on Tue May 20, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

All this arguing makes me...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Lance Kragenbrink wrote:
MichaelP wrote:
<LOL> shaking my head

I still need a scratching my head emoticon Eat Drink

Ill work on that one Michael!

Ya know, I see a pattern here.

This is not the first time that Mario has stepped in, tossed an insult or two around, voiced a sarcastic opinion and then checked out.

Leaving us all to respond.

My wife tells me that "he must be getting something out of this behavior". I tend to agree with her. She is a wise woman.
This is not the first time she has commented on his behavior.

see incoming PM

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

What's to respond to? I offered up an honest opinion, sarcastic, maybe, but completely honest. And the fact that it was a bit over the top was simply to point out and make fun of what was also over the top(The swap banner).

What do I get? Direct personal attacks. I may be blunt when someone asks for a opinion and the only honest opinion will not be "nice" or popular. I may be short in my answers, but they're always correct, safe, and to the point. But I never make direct personal attacks.

Charm school for sure; but at least I don't attack anyone's character. And I don't hide behind a nickname; everyone knows who I am(who are you, Sniggles?). The "Grumpy" handle is was given me by a good friend and forumite here.

Ya know, it's time for an attitude adjustment, but not on my part. JJ refers to be as Batman(Batman?!?) in another thread, and tells of how I intimated him years ago. But what he doesn't tell is the rest of the story. He was in a fix, having shaped his headstock only to not be able to bend his bindings to the shape. He asked for help, and was told by others(multiples) that fame maple couldn't be bent to a 3/8 radius. I read that in the morning, and while still in my jammies, grabbed my camera and went to the shop. I poked around and found some flamed maple binding, grabbed a 3/8" bolt, a torch, and proceeded to photograph the entire procedure to show him exactly how it could be done. All in all, it took me at least 30 minutes of my work day, and I didn't make any fanfare of it. I didn't come along and make a big deal, naming the thread a "tutorial" or anything. I simply used up my time(which is on the clock, more or less, so it's a 1/2 hour pay that 'll never see) to help out someone who I didn't know(still never met JJ). A few days later, he came back complaining that it didn't work. I asked if he followed my instructions to the letter, and that's when he said no, he did this and that and something else different. That's when I got upset and spelled it out. He may have been flustered, but he got the point, and to this day, I'm sure JJ can bend flamed maple to a 3/8" radius, right? But had I simply said "oh, that's nice, sorry you can't do it", then what? Maybe I'd not be labeled a bad guy, but he'd have not learned a dang thing, and I would have wasted my time(and he, his)

I have countless such stories of having helped out a budding luthier or simply someone in a jam. Hell, i even auctioned myself off, and allowed a complete stranger into my home and shop, and fed and housed him for a week as I gave him the most intense and honest week's education of his life. for free. What he paid went directly to the Katrina victims. I got nothing and gave up a week's work, plus food and two trips to an airport.

For this, I get personal attacks and am ridiculed by the forum owners when I make honest observations and opinions! I definitely see a pattern to the behavior here, alright....

The next time there's no knock upon your door, it'll be me not there.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:27 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

grumpy wrote:

For this, I get personal attacks and am ridiculed by the forum owners when I make honest observations and opinions! I definitely see a pattern to the behavior here, alright....

The next time there's no knock upon your door, it'll be me not there.

Mario I have to first say that at least most of us, and I include my self in there; know and love your straight forward approach and sometime sarcastic humor, and have a vast appreciation for the wealth of knowledge you share with us freely.

I think and hope most took your post as what you intended. A slap stick opinionated comment on the state of the discussion page.

I also believe that all replies picked up on that same theme in response and meant no more harm than you did. In other words, responding back in Grumpy’s style sarcastic good humor.

Now comes the part where I will draw your ire! but I hope not loose your respect as this is said with truth but not distain.

‘It would seem to me Grumpy; you got the exact response you went fishing for”

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I sure hate when things go sour like this. The idea of slugging it out over such seemingly petty BS when the bigger picture is so much more important just sucks. Sarcasm is Grumpy's way and we've become accustomed to it. So what....is he going to change? My bet is not even if hell freezes over! But we all know that the good far exceeds any bad that his charm-challenged personality brings to the mix. The fact that this thread is now 2 pages is a bit surprising...talk about "over the top"?!!

BTW Mario, I can't say that you've ever intimidated me...For 12 years, I had some expert Jesuit priests and Sisters of Mercy teach in ways that would make you look like a choir boy! :mrgreen:

The incident that we both recalled was more embarrassing because of my casual approach toward your advice. I actually thought I told the whole story...I just didn't know you were in your jammies. laughing6-hehe Your admonition was a well timed and well aimed wakeup call. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Chris
City: Jacksonville
State: Florida
I'd like to interpret Grumpies description of what took place with JJ on the 3/8th's binding....as if it were in real life...face to face sortof. For Brevity I will leave out quotes and such.

JJ - I can't bend my binding to this shape

Grumpy - Do it this way (he illustrates the steps fairly calmly)...makes his point.

JJ - I still can't bend this binding..it's giving me fits....

Grumpy - (hand SLAMS down on the work bench)...Are you stupid?...Did I not show you step by step how to bend the binding?...(huffing all the way)....Are you capable of following instructions?

JJ - Ummmmm.....okay....I'll do it your way.

-----------------------

I'll put it this way. What good is a spoon full of peanut butter if you have to eat it off the end of a running chainsaw. Stop using this forum to spoon feed your misery under the cloak of good advice. Why not just make it good advice? You could even throw in a "I told you so" every once in a while. Guys rib each other all the time. Do like Hesh does and mangle the daylights out of someone's avatar or picture or something. I don't care if you think this is a character attack or not...but you need to be told you are a jerk.

So what if your way worked. I am sure that JJ could have figured it out with a good dose of persistence and faith that there IS a way.

Grumpy your supposed knowledge holds no currency with me. There have been times in world history when knowing a person's name meant you KNEW him. I don't KNOW you..therefore you have no entitlement to knowing me.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey Snig...please don't try to interpret an event that took place 5 years ago. I never felt wronged, intimidated nor abused on this issue so don't go there. You have no idea nor any right to any poetic justice on this! I actually consider Mario a good friend in addition to one of the most generous luthiers on this as well as a handful of other forums. Let's not make this a poll on his worth, value and popularity.

Of course, you made a personal attack and it has no place here.

If ever I wanted a thread closed and purged, this is it...

Please, Lance!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well my attempt at lightening the mood as Sleepy failed I guess....
How about we look at a picture of a kitten on a guitar!

Ahhhh - how could you not smile at that?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chansen / C hansen / C. Hansen / Christian Hansen - not a handle.

Christian

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Yeah, it's a classical guitar! [:Y:] [clap]

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
I'm going to shut this thread down now, nothing good was EVER going to come of it.

Just one more comment though

The last I checked this forum was owned by Brock Poling and I. We make the choices and policies that guide this community.
For the better part of 5 years now we have had positive growth and harmonious exchange of information. So it appears to me that for the
most part the choices and policies have been good.

The choice to make a banner for the swap meet was mine, I didn't ask for Mario's permission and I didn't ask for his opinion either.

His comments were sarcastic, mean spirited and directed right at Brock and I.

Nothing funny about that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2