Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Focus: Build
For me the tight string being held by the pin but the ball end was not tight on the plate. this one took a while to find

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 3): Durero (Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm) • Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 am) • Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Some wood chips rattling around after installing a pickup. I would have bet money I got them all out, but there were a couple bigger chips bouncing around down there and on just the right notes sounded like crinkling paper. I messed around with the saddle and nut for a long time before finally figuring it out.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Durero (Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm) • Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Washers rattling in a parts drawer under the work table on an F# and an A on whatever guitar was on the table.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 3): Durero (Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm) • Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:14 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Well John,
Now I have to check the seating of the ball ends of my cello strings! It will save me from making a new tailpiece. Thanks.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

An undersized 9v battery in a Taylor rattling in the box. (after tearing my hair out looking for the buzz) I didn't realize some cheap 9v batteries are a little smaller than standard.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 4): Durero (Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm) • Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 am) • Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:14 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
It didn't cause a buzz but the grossest thing I ever found in a guitar was a big toe nail that had been cut off and had green fuzzy stuff growing on it......

Now toenails and fingernails are not uncommon to find in guitars along with string ball ends that break and stay in the box. You know when you cut your nails and one flies away and you can't find it? Well they fly into your guitars. :)

Anyway this big, green, fuzzy toe nail was under a saddle.... which strongly suggests that someone intentionally put it there as a shim of sorts. A "tone toenail" if you will.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 am 

Terence Kennedy wrote:
An undersized 9v battery in a Taylor rattling in the box. (after tearing my hair out looking for the buzz) I didn't realize some cheap 9v batteries are a little smaller than standard.

We've had those too and I had no idea that the batteries were not all at least the same size. idunno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 am 

So it's also a well known thing to take a dried rattler from a rattle snake and put it in your guitar. They can rattle as well.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Here's one that may be useful for repair operations that are not wired into the Martin organization, but see enough of the Vintage, Marquis, and Authentics to wind up with some head-scratchers re: buzzes.

For what seems like close to 7-8 years, Martin installed their open-back Gotoh tuners on the V and Authentic models with tiny little trim washers under the tuner bushings. After spending too many hours chasing 'body' buzzes on those guitars, we determined that - with the unseating of the tuner bushing over time - those washers were great little buzz generators. Since about 2013, it became standard practice in the shop to preemptively remove those trim washers and re-seat the bushings with a dot-sized dab of medium CA. Martin apparently figured that out as well, because when they upgraded to Waverly open backs for most of the vintage-style guitars, those trim washers disappeared along with those annoying buzzes.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 am) • Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 pm) • Durero (Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

We once found a strip of tin can metal that somebody had put into the guitar at the factory. It was about 1/2" wide and 5" long or so. One end was stuck underneath a top brace when it was glued on, and when the glue dried they bent it around in a circle so that the free end almost touched the top. When you hit the wrong note it buzzed. Once we found it, and figured out how to reach it, it was easy to bend it around until it broke off.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
State: WA
Not silly but kind of annoying. I figured out a cable from a pick-up (bridge plate mounted) was rattling against the soundboard. Twist your cables, folks.

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2): Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 am) • Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Roy
Last Name: Machin
City: Mexborough
State: South Yorkshire
Zip/Postal Code: S64 0HW
Too many windings on the A string post lightly touching the D string. Sympathetic vibrations on the D string between the post and the nut causing faint sitar like buzz.

These users thanked the author stumblin for the post (total 2): Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 am) • Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm 

Woodie G wrote:
Here's one that may be useful for repair operations that are not wired into the Martin organization, but see enough of the Vintage, Marquis, and Authentics to wind up with some head-scratchers re: buzzes.

For what seems like close to 7-8 years, Martin installed their open-back Gotoh tuners on the V and Authentic models with tiny little trim washers under the tuner bushings. After spending too many hours chasing 'body' buzzes on those guitars, we determined that - with the unseating of the tuner bushing over time - those washers were great little buzz generators. Since about 2013, it became standard practice in the shop to preemptively remove those trim washers and re-seat the bushings with a dot-sized dab of medium CA. Martin apparently figured that out as well, because when they upgraded to Waverly open backs for most of the vintage-style guitars, those trim washers disappeared along with those annoying buzzes.

I remember those and have not seen them for a couple of years now but back in the day we removed them preemptively too. They not only had no value at all they were very rattle prone.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:40 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
just had another one
Weird buzz one I never heard before dang martin bolt on neck was tight the bolt wasn't
easy fix put a spring lock washer on it

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 2): Durero (Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm) • Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 am)