Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have used the Cumpiano barrel nut method since day one back in 2003. I originally did not use reinforcement, only flooded the area with thin CA. (If I held the neck facing down while doing it did not wick into the heel)

I later did some pull out testing (published here many years ago) and found the wood cracked in tension at a fairly light load. I first used carbon bar reinforcement and the testing jig broke before the tenon failed. Problem was I put the carbon inserts in before drilling the holes for the barrel nuts and the carbon fiber really dulled the drill bits.

I switched to Maple reinforcement. Testing showed it was just as strong and it didn't damage my drill bits. The inserts run back to about the midpoint of the barrel nut holes. I have a router jig I can clamp the neck in and rout the slots for the inserts.

I was not aware of any of my original un-reinforced guitars failing but Interestingly I recently saw the very first guitar I used the Cumpanio method on (2003) for a broken headstock and on taking the neck off saw that there was a fatigue crack in the lower bolt hole but it had not fully separated.

ImageTenon Jig II by Terence Kennedy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

rbuddy wrote:
What goes in the lower hole Dave?

In that big hole? A spring and another bolt. It's a rather complicated fully adjustable neck I made for an OM. The whole saga is on 'another forum'. ;) This might explain it:

Attachment:
Adj Neck X-sect.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Dave Higham for the post: rbuddy (Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
I'm building a simple adjustable neck that was on an 1829 Stauffer. It has a pivot point, a dowel, and a bolt. I don't believe it was meant to be adjusted all the time, or on the fly. More like what one might do with a truss rod. I don't know, my arch top stays the same.

I was going to use a threaded brass insert; I have a bag of them! The insert would be in the block, and not a narrow tenon, so it doesn't seem like it would have a splitting problem. After seeing this post, I see that method with the barrel nut. It seems like a good idea, but would the brass inserts really cause stress cracks?

I see one potential problem; since the barrel nut would be IN the block, out of reach, I'd have to be sure that the nut was very snug in the block so it didn't twist when the neck bolt is taken out!

Dave; that spring, and engineered support for the back looks very high tech.

Attachment:
IMG_0357.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
Focus: Build
Ken, I wouldn't worry about the insert in your application at all, installed from the inside it isn't going anywhere.

The thing about most adjustable neck joints that causes me some concern is the pivot point that is acting like a fulcrum and kind of like putting a stick across your knee.

But looking at your sketch, it occurred to me with external or internal or a combo of both fastener types, you could take the neck off and put a flat wedge in there like they sell for electric neck setting. That would take the stress away from the fulcrum and spreading it along the whole heel.

As you say, it isn't something you need to do often or maybe ever.

I think I'm going to have to revisit the idea of an adjustable neck again.

My fingerboards already extend over the top.