Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Focus: Build
I have two guitars we made in 2013 that have finish checking. I remember someone talking about repairing the checking but can't remember how it was done. Can one of you finish experts help me out?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Some info here
http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/Lacquer/Amalgamator/amalgamator1.html

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: jshelton (Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:21 am)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:58 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
jshelton wrote:
I have two guitars we made in 2013 that have finish checking. I remember someone talking about repairing the checking but can't remember how it was done. Can one of you finish experts help me out?

I’m no finish expert but I’ve just got through successfully repairing some checks in Mohawk lacquer this week. I used St. Frank’s advice in that frets.com link as a guide and had good results; widen the crack with a sharp knife, brush in Mohawk retarder, let dry, begin to brush in undiluted Mohawk lacquer, I do around four applications per day but you could probably do more. I stop as soon as I see sufficient build that I can cut it back level. Standard procedure for levelling - get close by scraping with a razor before block sanding.

I have cut back and buffed successfully after seven days curing time , although as per nitro in general it buffs better the longer you wait.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:58 pm) • jshelton (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:13 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: B
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
jshelton wrote:

Would love a follow-up. Asking for help, getting replies then not following up is not good forum etiquette….

Karl B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Kbore wrote:
Asking for help, getting replies then not following up is not good forum etiquette….

Guilty! I try to go back and catch up. Often so many great replies come in that I spend a lot of time thinking about them, re-reading and appreciating and I want to give thoughtful follow up that honors the advice. Sometimes I don't get back to it promptly and it falls off the radar...

Pat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Kbore wrote:
jshelton wrote:

Would love a follow-up. Asking for help, getting replies then not following up is not good forum etiquette….

Apparently you didn't notice that I thanked the responders. I switched to Cardinal and have had no further problems. I hope that satisfies your worries about etiquette.

I don't post on this site anymore since apparently the way I write sets people off. Why, I don't know (nor do I care).