PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Looks just dandy. Sand out nicely, hit it with a bit of wax or Howard Feed'n'Wax and you'll be good to go. OR - finish it with super glue, then buff out. Maybe even TruOil? I'd have to try all methods and see what yields most pleasing result.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alain
Last Name: Lambert
City: Trois-Rivieres
State: Quebec
Focus: Build
Last winter, I tested a new bracing on a Ukulele. Once finished, I did not like the sound of it. Difficult to describe, but I would say dry, harsh. It had bone nut and saddle.
I was resigned to reopen it and change the bracing.
This conversation got me thinking about changing the bone nut/saddle for African Black Wood.
So yesterday, I made a recording of a strum, made a new nut and saddle and installed them and made a new recording.
I could see a difference! And the sound is better. To make sure, I reinstalled the bone nut/saddle and recorded a new strum, I got similar results.
The first graph attached is the spectrum of Bone (green) and ABW (yellow). There is not much difference in the frequency spectrum , except the tuning of one of the strum was slightly off. (this make it easier to see both curves)
The second graph is a comparison of the 2 wave graphs. First when I saw a difference, I assumed it could be caused by the different color. So I made them both the same color and changed the background to black.
The Bone graph is more "porcupine" the ABW is like more "structured". I am not sure where to go from here, but I will leave the ABW on!.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Alain Lambert for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:56 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alain
Last Name: Lambert
City: Trois-Rivieres
State: Quebec
Here is the Wave graph. Top is Bone

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
That is VERY cool Alain. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Alain, I have had occasion to use your software in a similar fashion. I have been asked lately to make some changes to a couple of guitars - I often record a guitar before and after a change to see if I can detect the difference but in these cases I also ran a spectrum analysis on it. Recently a young lady brought her classical guitar to me and asked if I would replace the "plastic" (Melamine) nut and saddle with bone. Along with some audio clips I ran analysis on a few notes before and after.

I usually do single notes rather than chords or strums or songs. If I listen to two A2 notes for example can hear a difference - more complexity or brighter or longer sustain or any of those things we talk about. Then can I see it in the spectrum - a different mix of partials or certain partials stronger or ....

Anyway, here are two graphs of the open A string and two of the open E string. I chose those because both the nut and saddle would be in play and they pretty much cover several octaves. I also like the fact that the E4 is a partial of A2 - should I expect other E's to show up in the mix. On each pair of graphs the top one is the "plastic " nut, the lower one is the bone.

Attachment:
Classical - A.jpg

Attachment:
Classical - E.jpg

The difference are subtle as you would expect, and a lot depends on how the notes are plucked, room acoustics, yadda yadda. My little experiments are not at all rigid, it would fail as even a high school science project, but it does give me a little more information about the guitars that I am working on.

I want to formally thank Alain for making this software available - I'm not sure yet what its telling me but I'm having fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Alain Lambert wrote:
Here is the Wave graph. Top is Bone
Glad the ABW worked for you!

Pat