PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
Ever since I saw this done on a guitar built by Dion Guitars, I’ve wanted to give it a try. There were several YouTube videos on how to do it which like most how-to-vids on YouTube required a bit of sifting before settling on a plan of attack. If you don’t know what it is, it’s basically white vinegar, some washed 0000 steel wool, a plastic container, and several days time while the vinegar breaks down the steel wool. Using a foam brush, I started with a wash of very strong black tea to add additional tannins to the surface, aiding in the chemical reaction. I let that air dry for an hour or so, then applied the vinegar mixture. It starts to turn dark almost immediately. I let that dry and repeated the process. I let it hang in my cure room for 2 days, then applied 4 very thin coats of Ecopoxy.

Anyway, I like the way it came out and will definitely be doing this again.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 7): olmorton71 (Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 pm) • runamuck (Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:50 am) • SmilinBuddha (Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:51 am) • dpetrzelka (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:11 am) • Durero (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 am) • Pmaj7 (Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 pm)

Post subject: Re: Ebonizing a neck.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Very nice!

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
Looks great all around. What was the underlying neck wood? Thanks for showing and the recipe.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Looks great. I've never tried that on mahogany before, assuming that is what it is. If you boil the steel wool in vinager it speeds e process up to just a few hours.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): Clay S. (Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:42 am) • Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:42 am) • Pmaj7 (Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
Beautiful match to the EIR back!

http://ensorguitars.com

These users thanked the author Chris Ensor for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Martin
Last Name: Taylor
City: Central Coast
State: NSW
looks great! I'm curious as to how you applied the Ecopoxy. Brush? Rag? how long between coats etc. Thanks

These users thanked the author martintaylor for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
Beautiful work Michael - stunning back strip too.

These users thanked the author dpetrzelka for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
That turned out nice!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 am 
Koa
Koa

rbuddy wrote:
Looks great all around. What was the underlying neck wood? Thanks for showing and the recipe.

It’s sapele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lovely work,
Did the end grain take the ebonizing more and give that nice shaded look to the heel, or am I seeing it wrong? Did you have to do any "nib" sanding after treating the neck with tea and iron solution?

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 am 
Koa
Koa

martintaylor wrote:
looks great! I'm curious as to how you applied the Ecopoxy. Brush? Rag? how long between coats etc. Thanks

I made applicators out of cotton rag, kind of like FP pads. Apply very light coats. You want to wipe off as much Ecopoxy as possible. I let each coat cure overnight in a heated room, though 6hrs is likely enough. Rub out with 0000 steel wool between coats. I applied 4 coats, and then rubbed out with 0000.

M

Last edited by Michaeldc on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): martintaylor (Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:16 am) • Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:58 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 am 
Koa
Koa

Clay S. wrote:
Lovely work,
Did the end grain take the ebonizing more and give that nice shaded look to the heel, or am I seeing it wrong? Did you have to do any "nib" sanding after treating the neck with tea and iron solution?

I sanded the neck to 320 and raised the grain with alcohol followed by another light 320 pass. I applied the cocktail twice and found I didn’t need to sand before applying the epoxy. The color is petty consistent. The endgrain on the heel is only slightly darker.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Clay S. (Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:32 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
I love that look and plan to try it myself one day. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Burton LeGeyt does something similar, but with dyes.

Here's an example from an old OLF thread:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author George L for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm) • Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
I love that look.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dyes give a more homogeneous appearance, but I think the vinegar/ steel wool solution acting on the tannins is the much nicer looking of these two examples. It makes me want to build a sapele guitar and ebonize the whole thing. bliss

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:05 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

Clay S. wrote:
Dyes give a more homogeneous appearance, but I think the vinegar/ steel wool solution acting on the tannins is the much nicer looking of these two examples. It makes me want to build a sapele guitar and ebonize the whole thing. bliss

I’ve got 2 A-style mandolins on the bench with sapele back and sides. They are both getting the ebonizing treatment for sure. I haven’t decided on a top top coat, but I’ll likely pore fill and shoot them with endurovar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Michael - lovely look and nice looking finish. I am building a maple/redwood topped Stauffer necked guitar right now and will be dying the neck black-ish. Since the dyes are alcohol soluble, I have in the past sprayed with a rattle can a few coats of shellac before using the finish, but this Ecopoxy sounds intriguing.

Did you use it as a final finish? Also, I am seeing it sold for many hundreds and even thousands of dollars - do you have a source that sells smaller quantities?

Thanks

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ruby50 wrote:
Michael - lovely look and nice looking finish. I am building a maple/redwood topped Stauffer necked guitar right now and will be dying the neck black-ish. Since the dyes are alcohol soluble, I have in the past sprayed with a rattle can a few coats of shellac before using the finish, but this Ecopoxy sounds intriguing.

Did you use it as a final finish? Also, I am seeing it sold for many hundreds and even thousands of dollars - do you have a source that sells smaller quantities?

Thanks

Ed

Yes, it is being used as a final finish.

I bought mine from West Wind Hardwood Inc. up in Canada. It was $115CA for the 1L kit which included shipping. It is described as EcoPoxy® Build Kits - 1L RESIN + 250ml HARDENER on my invoice.

If you can’t find it, I can do a bit more digging to get you the exact product.

Best, M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
Looks beautiful!
Did you do that finish on the neck for feel, or looks?
Looks like the not shiny finish would make a nice feeling neck.
Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Thanks Michael

I am a volunteer carpenter on 2 tall ships and we have several different kinds of epoxy on hand from very runny (like git-rot) to as thick as you need it. We thicken it like peanut butter for many applications. It would be easy and convenient to get the small amount needed from the storeroom.

Is the Ecopoxy pretty thin? Is it the consistency of Z-Poxy used for grain filling?

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 am 
Koa
Koa

Ruby50 wrote:
Thanks Michael

I am a volunteer carpenter on 2 tall ships and we have several different kinds of epoxy on hand from very runny (like git-rot) to as thick as you need it. We thicken it like peanut butter for many applications. It would be easy and convenient to get the small amount needed from the storeroom.

Is the Ecopoxy pretty thin? Is it the consistency of Z-Poxy used for grain filling?

Ed

The ecopoxy is thinner than zpoxy and is applied more like FP than a pore filler.

I’ve got no data on the durability of ecopoxy and only gave it a try because one of my favorite pro builders was using it with lovely *cosmetic* results. That said, the ecopoxy feels great under my hand. It’s silky and fast. I can’t say I’d try other epoxies as a final finish.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've been building a size 2 guitar (first one of this size) and have been trying a number of new things with it. One of them is a simplified method of coloring the neck. I use vinegar to soften glue when making repairs. I noticed it leaves a black stain if I don't use stainless steel tools in combination with it. I thought I would see how well it might work as a way to color the wood by just dipping steel wool in vinegar and rubbing it on the wood. It did work somewhat. The neck shaft was some mahogany I got from cutting up an old coffee table and the heel block was a darker piece of mahogany that didn't match. I was hoping the "stain" would pull them together but it didn't quite work out that way. :lol:
The picture was taken part way through brushing on a finish and before I knocked the neck on the floor and snapped the heel block (along with some neck wood) off. I glued it back together, touched it up and continued on with the finish. gaah It is interesting how differently the wood took the steel wool /vinegar treatment. Spending more time and adding tannins may have improved the out come but for this guitar I am O.K. with it. Being the first one of this size and working through a few different materials and methods I'm not as concerned about perfection as I might otherwise be.
With the right wood materials the simplified steel wool/vinegar treatment might work fine.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:50 am) • Michaeldc (Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Liking the look of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Very classy looking instrument!

B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Nice job Michael.
I ebonized the neck of this bouzouki-style instrument. The neck was tasmanian blackwood, same as the back and sides.

Attachment:
F60DBEC1-F5BA-4089-959A-5E98CF58EBC8.jpeg

It was exactly the same approach that you used. One thing for people to be aware of if they try this is the ebonized layer on the surface is very thin. You do it as a final finishing stage before applying your clear top coat. You can easily sand through the black layer to reveal the natural timber colour below. But if this happens you can darken it again by applying more ebonizing solution.

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post (total 3): Clay S. (Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:58 pm)