Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
Hi folks,

Does anyone make an adjustable octave mando bridge like one finds on a standard mandolin?

Thanks, Michael

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I have an archtop octave mandolin and its bridge is a standard adjustable mandolin bridge just like the ones on mandolins I have.

EDIT: I just saw that Elderly has mandola-specific bridges that are compensated for mandola strings, so I guess the compensation is what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

J De Rocher wrote:
I have an archtop octave mandolin and its bridge is a standard adjustable mandolin bridge just like the ones on mandolins I have.

EDIT: I just saw that Elderly has mandola-specific bridges that are compensated for mandola strings, so I guess the compensation is what you're looking for.

Thanks, Jay

I'll take a look

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If you can't find a source for an adjustable octave mando bridge, maybe you could buy a standard bridge, use the base and adjusters, and then make a new saddle part from a piece of ebony. The figure below is from a thread on the mandolincafe forum in which the OP was asking for a picture showing the view of an octave mando bridge from above to see how it was compensated so he could make a saddle. The bottom two saddles are variants for octave mandolins.

Attachment:
Octave mandolin bridge compensation.jpg

Strangely, the bridge on my octave mando is a standard mandolin bridge that is compensated the same as the top bridge in the figure. I'm going to check the intonation on the A-string course tomorrow and see how good or bad it is. I haven't noticed a problem playing it in the first seven frets. Maybe it goes off at the higher frets.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 am 
Koa
Koa

J De Rocher wrote:
If you can't find a source for an adjustable octave mando bridge, maybe you could buy a standard bridge, use the base and adjusters, and then make a new saddle part from a piece of ebony. The figure below is from a thread on the mandolincafe forum in which the OP was asking for a picture showing the view of an octave mando bridge from above to see how it was compensated so he could make a saddle. The bottom two saddles are variants for octave mandolins.

Attachment:
Octave mandolin bridge compensation.jpg

Strangely, the bridge on my octave mando is a standard mandolin bridge that is compensated the same as the top bridge in the figure. I'm going to check the intonation on the A-string course tomorrow and see how good or bad it is. I haven't noticed a problem playing it in the first seven frets. Maybe it goes off at the higher frets.

Thanks, Jay

I found the same drawing and it looks like the octave bridge is pretty much straight across. The bridge I made above is straight across and it sounds right all the way up the neck.

I'm afraid you are gonna have to wait to hear and play it because it just SOLD this morning. I'll get another one going soon.

Thanks again, M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Dang! Well it must have come out nice to have found a new home so fast. Congratulations!