Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
Here is a good explanation of the situation with Gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQ9SO7uF60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
The beauty of it is a lotto the ways things used to happen are going to go by the wayside. There are thousands more luthiers now producing better products and more personalized then ever before. Most of the big Factories sell crap. An American Standard higher end Strat sells for $2-$3k ya right. A run of the mill American made Gibson, ES335 or les Paul is now $3k They all need fret jobs straight out of the factory. And the custom shop stuff is stupid. Over reliced and over priced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
Here is a good explanation of the situation with Gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQ9SO7uF60

Actually, Steve - it's NOT a good explanation. The YT guy has most of his facts in order, but he reaches the same WRONG conclusions most of the media (and YT video posting morons who bash Gibson) has reached. Gibson Guitars IS making money (despite the downturn in the music industry). It's the other companies that are not pulling their own weight right now, but Henry and Gibson are on the hook just the same.

My forecast? Henry will be booted to the curb pronto, and the courts will find someone to turn the conglomerate around by selling off the peripheral companies. Hopefully, they will focus on returning Gibson Guitars to a high level of integrity in the financial world. Should be an interesting show....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
dofthesea wrote:
The beauty of it is a lotto the ways things used to happen are going to go by the wayside. There are thousands more luthiers now producing better products and more personalized then ever before. Most of the big Factories sell crap. An American Standard higher end Strat sells for $2-$3k ya right. A run of the mill American made Gibson, ES335 or les Paul is now $3k They all need fret jobs straight out of the factory. And the custom shop stuff is stupid. Over reliced and over priced.
Very true but I continue to have regular customers bringing me their highly prized and brand new, over-priced, often special edition Martin/Gibson/Fender for fret-level and setup.

They play my guitars (several of them have one), marvel at the form/fit/sound/playability but still go buy the big names even knowing they will give me another few hundred bucks to make it play right. They just love the name because of the nostalgia, I suppose.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: jack (Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"They just love the name because of the nostalgia, I suppose."

Partly that, maybe. But then there is brand recognition and resale. On occasion I've traded one of my instruments for a Martin because I know I can sell the Martin quicker than one of my own. Obviously the person trading felt they were getting a better instrument and I wound up with something I could turn into cash. I'm not sure I would trade for a Gibson.....

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
H.E.N.R.Y. happened

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Realistically - what happened? They went on a buying spree and bought up a bunch of smaller compainies/brands.... And they over-extended themselves and ended upside down on cash flow..

And what happened? Gibson declared bankruptcy to shed debt... The court will protect Gibson from their creditors when this debt goes away...

But another interesting thing is that the courts will force payment of all debts outstanding to the company.. Word is that Guitar Center was in debt to Gibson for a zillion dollars... Guess what the court will do...

The result of all of this is that Gibson comes out strong and ready to rock with clean balance sheets...