All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
For those interested, here are some general photos of the V Class with some measurements. Some observations of my own as well. This guitar was spruce topped with Koa back and sides.

The bridge plate is two pieces. It resembles a maple overlay on top of a spruce reinforcement. Both pieces run horizontal to the top grain. The braces go over the spruce plate but the maple is flush to the braces.

The cutaway was a solid piece of mahogany, the back and sides of this one were koa. It was stained a bit darker than the koa to blend it in with the color and grain. The line is visible on the front but stupid hard to photograph.

Something interesting to note as well, is that the area directly below the fingerboard extension was reinforced with a sizable (at least 3/16"s thick) piece of mahogany. On older models this was not present.

A look at the bevel insert in the body.

Back braces are all angled like the new 800 series

On the top (deflection?) There was hardly any arch to the top on this example. I had to use a feeler gauge to show the space at the edges of the top.

The area in front of the bridge was even flatter. Likely because it's a brand new guitar but the top was VERY flat compared to the other models in the shop.

One last detail, the nut seems to have been polished/finished while on the neck. There's almost no seam whatsoever

Some thoughts on the tone.

It does not generate overtones in the same manner as guitars that we would call traditional. For an overtone test I simply played each string one at a time while leaving the others open. The overtones generated were significantly less (different) than other x braced guitars. For reference I compared the overtone generation to a Breedlove King Koa exotic, Martin D18 Authentic, Collings OM1, Kalamazoo WL12.

The overtones generated in a different fashion as well to my ears. 5ths and 4ths don't generate overtones in the same manner as 3rds (obviously) but the big difference to my ears is that on certain chords it amplifies given intervals (3rds and such) much more pronounced than it does 5ths and 4ths. When tuning by intervals it was way easier to hear the beat between the different strings such as A and D on open strings. This is different, not bad. I'm not overly techie when it comes to tone and sound. But suffice it to say that it does not sound like a typical Taylor to my ears.

Anyway, YMMV

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 3): Mark Fogleman (Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:35 pm) • Robbie_McD (Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:46 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:01 am)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Thanks for that!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
Dan thanks for taking the time. I find it interesting. Good job with the pics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Thanks for the post and all the great photos. It's interesting to me that the braces are all rectangular in cross section. When I first saw a photo of a v-braced top in the hands of Andy Powers, I figured that it was in an uncompleted state because of the lack of profiling of the braces. I guess it's actually a feature. Isn't the point of profiling the cross section of braces (triangular or so-called parabolic) to reduce the weight of the top/brace system because you can do that without compromising its strength? Is the rectangular cross section here a mass production compromise?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
J De Rocher wrote:
Thanks for the post and all the great photos. It's interesting to me that the braces are all rectangular in cross section. When I first saw a photo of a v-braced top in the hands of Andy Powers, I figured that it was in an uncompleted state because of the lack of profiling of the braces. I guess it's actually a feature. Isn't the point of profiling the cross section of braces (triangular or so-called parabolic) to reduce the weight of the top/brace system because you can do that without compromising its strength? Is the rectangular cross section here a mass production compromise?

Taylor has used rectangular bracing on a number of models - particularly low and mid-range products. We do a fairly brisk business in removing Expressions Systems preamp & pickup systems in favor of other systems, so see a range of their instruments.

Also interesting to note that the only profiling on the top bracing appears to be the braces that bracket the soundhole...and only the edges visible to a player, so I assume purely cosmetic.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Colin North (Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Great pix, Dan. Good prep for the eventual day I have to work on one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Not sure I'm liking some of the new design... like the dyed mahogany cutaway and bevel. What about the back braces not being tucked?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
sdsollod wrote:
Not sure I'm liking some of the new design... like the dyed mahogany cutaway and bevel. What about the back braces not being tucked?

Is the back actually laminated. Hard to tell in the photos if the back is solid Koa. It doesn't look like it. If it's plywood you'd likely not need to tuck the back braces.

It sure seems like Ta*lor is continuing down the path creating an even more soulless instrument. I've only played one Ta*lor that was worth a da*m and it was built in 1993 if I'm remembering correctly.

M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
To me it looks like several ways of cheapening production costs, lessening the amount of steps it takes to produce, while trying to market it as "improvements". looks cheap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thank you for all the pictures of the construction details.
Nice to see the bar is reasonably low for high end production guitars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wow, that neck looks awful. Could have at least filled the grain...before dying.
Looks like HYPE to me.
Larson Bros. used rectangular tone bars and so did I at the end, but Larson's were highly regarded. Can't say Taylor ever did much for me...this looks like the bottom of the line.
Anybody got a price on one of these?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haans, this one is one of the "builder's reserve" priced out around 2700 if I recall correctly. I'll ask my rep tomorrow

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Haans (Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
Dan,
I’d be shocked if that git is 2700.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haans, I just talked with my rep. If you were to order theguitar as you see it here it would run you 4549$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Dan, but I think I will pass. Tell your rep he can get one of mine as you see it here with "Larson Laminated X Class Bracing" for $28,001. ;-)

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 2): TimAllen (Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 pm) • DanKirkland (Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
DanKirkland wrote:
Haans, I just talked with my rep. If you were to order theguitar as you see it here it would run you 4549$

That's real guitar territory!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haans wrote:
Thanks Dan, but I think I will pass. Tell your rep he can get one of mine as you see it here with "Larson Laminated X Class Bracing" for $28,001. ;-)

That's a beautiful one. Always wanted to try one of your instruments, just never been around one. Maybe someday.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Haans (Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
sdsollod wrote:

Not tucking the back braces was a feature of the new bracing they came up with for the 600 series when they switched to maple backs and sides a couple years ago as part of their move to using more sustainable woods. Their rationale/claim for not tucking the braces was that it made the back more responsive and provided more bass to compensate for the stereotype of maple back and sides imparting a bright tone lacking in bass and thereby make it tonally acceptable to the rosewood only crowd. I haven't played one so I don't know how effective it is.