PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Focus: Build
I currently tuck the x-brace in both the upper and lower bouts. But....

I have been reading where some notable builders don't tuck any braces on the top. They say it gives them a top that is more responsive. I know some (including Taylor, so I hear) put a little channel around the top edge for the same reason.

If you do something like the above to 'loosen' the top what approach would you take to couple it with the back?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I've tucked the lower x. Once. I was not happy with the results. I do some perimeter thinning of the top from the waist stopping a couple inches short of the heel block. I just push with my thumb and look for a little more flex. Not overly scientific but that's the way I roll.

I could be mistaken but I think not tucking the upper braces would be asking for trouble. Never tried it though.

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: Joe Beaver (Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
At Trevor Gore's suggestion, I did not tuck the lower bout ends of the X braces on my last two builds. I liked the results. I do graduate the rim of the lower bout, in about 2", setting the final thickness by feel and tap sound. The upper braces should be tucked.

These users thanked the author Greg Maxwell for the post: Joe Beaver (Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Danny & Greg
Good information. When I think about it there is really no reason to leave the upper bout x-brace untucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I tuck the upper legs, and don't tuck the lower legs. I think that the debate is normally about whether to tuck the lower legs. Everybody tucks the upper legs.

I think tucking the lower legs is overbuilding the thing, and it has a tendency to inhibit the top from moving the way it should. But I'm a hack, so . . .

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:37 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I used to not tuck the lower legs, but lately I've taken them down very thin and tucked them. I like that the top registers nicely when I'm gluing it up. I have my doubts whether a tiny tuck makes a difference either way...

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post (total 2): Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:39 pm) • Clinchriver (Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
sdsollod wrote:
I used to not tuck the lower legs, but lately I've taken them down very thin and tucked them. I like that the top registers nicely when I'm gluing it up. I have my doubts whether a tiny tuck makes a difference either way...

I do the same thing, figuring that it may help prevent a future crack in the top at the rim...? I do tuck my upper bout X leaving the braces 1/8" tall at the lining. I've built several guitars where the lower X stops 1-1/2" or so short of the linings. I run into some of these folks now and then with nothing bad to report.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:39 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It depends. The one I am building now will have tucked braces because a tighter top is what I am going for. If I don't tuck them in then what I do is feather them down to zero and then the linings go over the feathered ends so in essence they are still tucked in but it's paper thin.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Uppers never lowers.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I assume most of you don't tuck the lower face braces. So, if I have this right, when you don't tuck the lower x-braces or the face braces then the soundboard has a bit more freedom to give voice to the lower (longer sin wave) frequencies? All things being equal I should see a little more bass response and maybe slightly less treble and volume? Has that been your experience? And I suppose the rims are slightly less ridged. Not sure what effect that will have on the sound or volume, although probably slight.

Apparently no structural issues?

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Bri (Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We do not tuck the lower X braces (or fingers or tone bars) - the load on that portion of the top is directed outward/toward the center of the body, so the extra weight and stiffness at the rim would seem to be both unnecessary for structural integrity and possibly detrimental to acoustic performance.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Same as Woodie and crew, didn't tuck lower bout braces and instead feathered them to nothing.

I did tuck the UTB and upper X legs.

The whole idea of any of these implementations of not tucking, feathering to nothing, rabbiting around the lower bout top or, what I did, additionally thinning the top but from the outside to to free up the top. Not recommending this but less bracing, less tall bracing both strategically located and even wimpy top wood could..... when properly deployed.... possibly.... achieve the same end.

I watched a master who does commissions for the stars use his fingers to feel and watch top deflection and back deflection while holding a guitar in front of him and sideways. When I asked him what's up he said he was trying to determine how easily the top would......"pump....."

And there you have it or at least I did, that "pump" word was significant to me in my understanding of how we may want to top to function. Then one day I read Mario P. describe a guitar with it's top as not unlike a fireplace bellows and the dots were connected for me.

Now actually putting all of this to work in a meaningful manner and achieving our tonal goals is the real work.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

BTW these discussions always remind me of this, can't help it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3HcIXvIo0

How does one embed youtube? The embed button seems to not work...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3HcIXvIo0[/youtube]

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm) • CharlieT (Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Funny - That's one tuck and one no tuck...

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post (total 2): Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:45 pm) • jfmckenna (Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:23 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Joe Beaver wrote:
Danny & Greg
Good information. When I think about it there is really no reason to leave the upper bout x-brace untucked.

But a few very solid reasons to tuck them.

All this post Christmas tuck talk has got me thinking! eek

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:37 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
After reading this thread and several past threads on the topic of tucking the ends of the lower x-brace arms, it's going to be one no tuck for me on the guitar I'm building now.

I'm also going to try a tip from Tom West in one of those previous threads:

"I allow all 4 ends of the X brace to go through the linings. On the lower ends I then cut of the ends where they emerge from the lining. This allows one to have the advantage of the indexing by the little stubs and still taper the ends of the lower X to nothing. Two birds one stone.
Tom"

"The impression I get from reading Tom's post is that he first fits the back ,notching the linings and allowing the braces to fit into them. He then cuts through the lower X braces at the point they meet the linings. He then tapers the lower legs to nothing, but leaves the little "stubs" that fit into the linings intact. When the back is glued on the little stubs take the place of the removed section of lining. Atleast that is how I am reading it."

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 3): Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:42 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:13 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
I tuck the ends of the transverse brace and the upper legs of the X brace to try and get as much strength as possible in the upper bout.
I leave all brace ends untucked and feathered to the top in the lower bout to make that area as responsive as possible.
I have made a couple with the X tucked in the lower bout and felt it made the soundboard a little stiffer than what I was looking for.

These users thanked the author Tim L for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:42 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My view is that anything that's taking enough load to be left thick at the ends needs to be tucked. If you don't want to tuck it, shave it away to nothing at the end, and do it far enough back so that the brace end is not so stiff that it will tend to peel loose from the top if it gets knocked. That's why they're tucked in; to keep them from peeling up.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 2): Clay S. (Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 pm) • Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Put me down for a "no tuck"!

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Joe Beaver (Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Alan Carruth wrote:
My view is that anything that's taking enough load to be left thick at the ends needs to be tucked. If you don't want to tuck it, shave it away to nothing at the end, and do it far enough back so that the brace end is not so stiff that it will tend to peel loose from the top if it gets knocked. That's why they're tucked in; to keep them from peeling up.

So.... if you were to make a large body guitar, say 16+", how would you handle the lower bout bracing? I know that you consider several factors like top and back stiffness, body volume, back bracing, how the top and back are to couple, etc. before deciding. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Also, if you (Alan) have another minute for answering questions, do you take the same approach for archtops? I've seen and heard your L5 archtop and I still dream about the sound of that guitar. It's a great one.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

i do not tuck anything. and i do not couple the top to the back either. after assembly, binding finishing etc.. i want the back at least a whole note lower then the top. i will support the utb though, but not necessarily by tucking. i use tentallones and will stick one under each end of the utb on the rim. spanish style.

These users thanked the author arie for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
arie wrote:
i do not tuck anything. and i do not couple the top to the back either. after assembly, binding finishing etc.. i want the back at least a whole note lower then the top. i will support the utb though, but not necessarily by tucking. i use tentallones and will stick one under each end of the utb on the rim. spanish style.

Are you bulding SS or classicals? And if your back is <4/5 semitones from the top frequency, less or more doesn't matter, I believe it's coupled acoustically as well as mechanically (- hopefully)

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

Last edited by Colin North on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Upper X and UTB, not lowers, ('cepting the latest 12 string)

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:
Upper X and UTB, not lowers, ('cepting the latest 12 string)

I generally don't tuck in the lower bout, except for my new jumbo model I decided to tuck all 4 corners of the x, but not the lower face braces. I still get a nice bass and what sounds to me like a balanced sound. It is unclear to me how much affect the tuck/nontuck thing had on sound or volumn.

I know some such as Alan, Trevor, you and others have done extensive testing and/or experience and have insight into what the expected effects would be.

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Dave Rickard (Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm)