Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Johnparchem I disagree with your diagnosis. I don't see how fallaway at the body join will impact the lower neck unless the instrument is set up incorrectly.

To OP, IMO, your neck angle is too far backset. I would accept a 1/32 plane above bridge top with frets, but not without.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Yeah, you don’t want to make my problem yours! Much better to have too much fallaway than a ski-ramp. Mine’s a 12 fretter too, someday we should introduce them to each other. :)

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
We have some conflicting information here:

sdsollod wrote:
With the pitch of the neck now giving a gap of 3.5 mm at the saddle location without the fingerboard...

sdsollod wrote:
I have adjusted the neck angle to produce a gap of 3.5mm (as necessary) at the saddle location with the unfretted fingerboard laying on top of the bolted on neck.

If the second situation is what you've got (together with your remarks about the bridge thickness etc.), I agree with Ed: you seem to have the neck quite a bit more backset than normal. Putting that into the normal range will alleviate your problem with the gap under the fretboard (is the fretboard dead flat BTW?) but it will still leave you with a gap, on the basis of the numbers given. You can then figure out the best way to deal with that when you're certain how big it's going to be.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

These users thanked the author Trevor Gore for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 am) • Ken McKay (Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:47 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
meddlingfool wrote:
Johnparchem I disagree with your diagnosis. I don't see how fallaway at the body join will impact the lower neck unless the instrument is set up incorrectly. .

Maybe I misdiagnosed what would happen with 3 mm of fall away. I have had it happen to me fretting way up the neck at the 19 th fret on a guitar with too much fall away. My thought was that I pulled the string down farther than normal to fret and got pretty close to the fret at the body join and got back buzz. I pulled the frets and leveled the fret board eliminating the hump or bend at the body join and the guitar was good without the buzz,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 am 
Koa
Koa

A number 4 plane will be fine. In fact sandpaper on a flat surface will work too. Even a hand saw can saw a wedge that is 3mm tapering to zero. But you will need a little "fall away", so maybe 2.5 at the end. Don't worry, you can do it with the tools you have. If you need some help just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk