It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Last Parlor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well, been a while, but this is the last guitar that I will have completely built. Any future instruments (maybe 3) will be finished and have final assembly by someone else.
This guitar was started along with 2 other parlors about 7 years ago as a batch build of 3. As I have said elsewhere, I don't build in batches, and actually never built these as a batch. I had three boxes sitting in the shop for years and, one at a time, they finally were completed. More on that later...
This instrument is red spruce/QS white oak, ladder braced with mahogany neck, ebony overlay, fingerboard and bridge with MOP inlay. It is bound in a Larson style with green abalone pieces. The top is a 10' cylindrical radius, while the back is a 10' dish. Finish is Mohawk instrument lacquer. It has a 3 brace top and 4 brace back. It has a 12.5" lower bout and a 24.5" scale...

Note the very narrow spruce areas between rings on the rosette.

Here is my off center pyramid bridge. I really liked it better than any other of the pyramid bridges that I built...

Slotted ebony topped peghead with Larson torch inlay...

Filled and dyed white oak back with matching center strip and B/W/ivoroid binding...

Detail of Larson style purfling. Note broken abalone as it's bent as it was done on '20's instruments...

Detail of heel joint...

Another shot of heel and center strip...

Back of peghead...

This last parlor sat in the shop as just a closed box for about 4 years unfinished, all the time soaking up all the vibrations from the shop, machinery noise. I finally made a neck for it and finished it off. Then it sat for a couple of years before I sanded the finish and buffed it. Then it sat for at least a year before I put it together, fretted it and set the action.
I figured the lacquer was going to make a glass like finish (something I pretty much despise), but even after a year, the grain started showing up after a short break in. The really interesting part is that the guitar sounds older than any guitar I have ever built. It had a broken in sound after a few weeks of playing and now after 6 months of playing, sounds like it's 10 years old. Loud too for a parlor. I guess I could attribute the tone to all the time it spent in the shop vibrating and also the years the box had to relax from being initially built, the shrinkage of the lacquer from the long drying time.
Anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks for looking...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 5): klooker (Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm) • Clinchriver (Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm) • SteveG (Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 am) • Pmaj7 (Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 am)

Post subject: Re: Last Parlor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That's a beauty Haans!

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Focus: Build
If that is your last complete guitar, Haans, you are going out in style! QS white oak is one of my favourite woods. What did you use to dye the oak, if I may ask?

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Wow, the work of a true master. Gorgeous

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Haans, your attention to detail has always amazed me. It's one thing to build a great guitar, but making it look as beautiful as it sounds is something else again. I hope that we have the benefit of your experience and wisdom for many years to come.

Brent

These users thanked the author bftobin for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Such elegance, Haans.

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Beautiful work! Truly masterful!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Has Dakota Dave gotten his hands on that one yet Haans? What a beauty.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Howard
Last Name: Wilson
State: Virginia
Wow, just wow!!

These users thanked the author Doc for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Not bad for a beginner laughing6-hehe [:Y:]

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup that's a beauty. I would love to pick a few notes on it.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I love the tight waist. That thing is sexy!

You know... last night I was working on a uke. I've switched to all hide glue construction and was gluing on a bridge for the first time with hide glue. I was hyper focused on the process. I did three dry runs. I heated up the bridge with a warming lamp, had my vacuum clamp positioned perfectly. I executed the glue up with perfection. The glue squeeze out cleanup was just as advertised, very simple and left no visible impact to the French polish. I was so happy. I moved on to installing the tuners when I looked down the neck and below the sound hole, what do I see? String slots! I had put the bridge on upside down. Luckily it was only an hour of elapsed time so I removed it and cleaned things up. Feeling sorry for myself I turned off the shop lights and came upstairs to watch the Packers game. Got even more depressed watching that and started the whole "why am I bothering with this" crap. Opened up tapatalk and see this beautiful parlor and I'm reminded that the reason I'm "bothering" is to maybe one day make a beauty like this. I started building in the first place because I wanted to make my own parlor guitar. Really great to see this and thank you for sharing, Haans.

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Very very pretty.

I am especially impressed that you were able to get such a good bookmatch out of the white oak rays..... That is very difficult to get....

On the sound... "Old" is the tone descriptor I would assign to Oak.. That's the feedback I have from my Oak guitars too.... Not sure why this is - but it seems like they come out of the gate with the tone you expect out of an old Rosewood guitar....

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Immaculate! [clap] [clap] [clap]

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

bcombs510 wrote:

You know... last night I was working on a uke. I've switched to all hide glue construction and was gluing on a bridge for the first time with hide glue. I was hyper focused on the process. I did three dry runs. I heated up the bridge with a warming lamp, had my vacuum clamp positioned perfectly. I executed the glue up with perfection. The glue squeeze out cleanup was just as advertised, very simple and left no visible impact to the French polish. I was so happy. I moved on to installing the tuners when I looked down the neck and below the sound hole, what do I see? String slots! I had put the bridge on upside down. Luckily it was only an hour of elapsed time so I removed it and cleaned things up. Feeling sorry for myself I turned off the shop lights and came upstairs to watch the Packers game. Got even more depressed watching that and started the whole "why am I bothering with this" crap. Opened up tapatalk and see this beautiful parlor and I'm reminded that the reason I'm "bothering" is to maybe one day make a beauty like this. I started building in the first place because I wanted to make my own parlor guitar. Really great to see this and thank you for sharing, Haans.

Brad

Brad, I must apologize now for laughing so hard :D

You gotta love being human sometimes, we do the damnedest things.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chris
Last Name: Wood
City: Chester Springs
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19425
Beautful, Haans.

Chris-

These users thanked the author cwood8656 for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
Stunning work - true inspiration.

These users thanked the author dpetrzelka for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
Beautiful work Haans. You've always made up the best looking purflings. Bet that one is fun to play.

These users thanked the author Tim L for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
First off, Stunning Work!!! Love it. I've never thought of Oak as a guitar wood, but I love the look of it. Certainly something to aspire to.

bcombs510 wrote:

Brad

Yup. Done the exact same thing. dang symmetric bridges!

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post (total 2): Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:36 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
Wonderful!!

These users thanked the author giltzow for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Holy Cow! that's almost too nice to play

These users thanked the author Quine for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
absolutely beautiful!
Nice clean work!

Mike [:Y:]

These users thanked the author Mike Collins for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
That's one you should certainly be proud of, Haans. Masterfully done.

These users thanked the author A.Hix for the post: Haans (Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks folks!
I did finally find the photo of the bracing. Years ago I started playing around with braces and the usual deformed ladder bracing spot in between the bridge plate and LTB. I finally settled on what you see here, and it keeps the deformity away, doesn't seem to affect tone at all. The 10' cylindrical radius helps too.

Note also the laminated back bracing...and the other two parlors.
Alex, the grain is filled with BLACK (ebony Stew Mac with a lot of black TransTint and black tempera paint powder) tossed in. When dry, it was sanded, a mixture of TT brown mahogany, red mahogany and medium brown dye in a water base was applied and wiped off.
Terry, Dakoty hasn't seen this one. Think he's more of a GC/Nick Lucas kinda guy.
Brad, it is the true parlor shape of the 1890's. Lots of instruments called "parlor" these days...
John, that was some of my last "old" oak. Was resawn by me. As far as the old tone, I know what you mean, but this one seems to have an "age" to it... and of course, it does. But it just broke in so fast, faster than anything I had ever built.
Tony, QS White Oak is a real bluesy sounding wood. When combined with red spruce, it is really fundamental, with well broken in strings, it almost has a F5 mandolin "thud" in the bass. Would probably sound a little more muddy with regular X bracing, maybe not.
Kevin, I've always built instruments to play, and not to stick in the case. All my old mandolins have a lovely patina to them and I hope the guitars have a similar look...played.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: klooker (Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Thanks for sharing this, Haans. It's wonderful that you were able to finish this one yourself. As always, your aesthetics are exquisite and craftsmanship superb. Your work is a true inspiration to countless luthiers, both pros and amateurs alike.

These users thanked the author George L for the post: Haans (Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 am)