Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:53 am 
Koa
Koa

—- scratching my head. Seems small bungee cords would be useful here in some way. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Focus: Build
Mike Lindstrom wrote:
Last I saw, Robbie O'Brien had switched to the LMI jigs, but when I was learning, we pre-cut the scrap from the top, making the whole plate into a wedge and we'd put that on a board between 2 angled fences and drive the wedge shaped top into the fences. It's better to weight it down before banging it into place to keep it from bowing on you.

I've used this method for over 50 years. Simple and works great; however if the edges of the top are uneven or the plates are not wide enough for tapering the wedge method is required. Caution should be taken when weighting the top since if you wash the glue off the top and lay steel on the damp wood it will make a permanent black stain. I use aluminum plates to insulate the steel bars from the wood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clay S. wrote:
"I taped a few guitars and liked the simplicity of it, but there were times when the plates wouldn't be perfectly flat along the joint, which made gluing thinner plates impossible for me. "

Using slightly thicker plates with the tape method solves two problems - fibers torn out by tape removal and any slight misalignment of the plates is removed when the plates are (semi) final thicknessed after the glue has fully cured. I like to check the stiffness as I sand to thickness.

I’m with Clay. The tape method is so easy and quick, I doubt I’ll ever use any other method. I, too, always join up stuff over-thickness, as I deflection test my tops, so I always like to sneak up on my target thickness. It also eliminates concern about tape pulling up a few fibers. KISS.

I should also mention the space and time-saving aspect of the tape method. I recently jointed and glued up four tops and three backs in maybe an hour and a half. As soon as one was taped and cleaned up, I’d stack it vertically between two thick pieces of plywood, conveniently out of the way. Regarding alignment, it’s really just a matter of getting comfortable with your process, and being conscious of alignment while pressing the sides down to the surface. And yes, I use hide glue. This is now the quickest, easiest, and most reliable step in the whole build process for me.

Last edited by Ken Jones on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Brad wrote:
"the joint is straight from the power jointer. I still have some work to do, it's not totally invisible."

How sharp are the knives on your jointer? If sanding improves the joint they may not be sharp or you may be running the wood across the jointer too fast (not enough cuts per inch) If one knife is slightly higher than another slowing down should also give a better result.
The joint should be tight enough that you can make it "disappear" with hand pressure even without glue. Hide glue shrinks as it dries which should make the joint tighter and less conspicuous than most other glues.
If the joint is giving you fits, you can- slightly- relieve the section from the lower edge of the soundhole to the top of the upper bout (assuming the fingerboard covers the upper edge of the soundhole). In those areas a less than perfect joint wont be seen and can allow the lower bout area to come together better. Although it's nice to have a perfect joint from the top to bottom of the soundboard it's really only needed from the lower edge of the soundhole to the bottom of the lower bout.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
These are current student work. With finish. 5x, 3x, 1.5x.

Attachment:
IMG_6375.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6376.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_6377.jpg

5x and 2x.

Attachment:
IMG_6371.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_6373.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:33 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Tape works fine on thick plates and hot hide glue. But if your plates are close ... not the way to go.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:32 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Using one's thumbs for leveling the joint very quickly when the tape is stretched and the plates are now laying flat with the tape method initial plate thickness is not all that critical.

What is critical but it's critical with any joining method IME is the joint itself has to be well prepared, freshly planed (preferred) and absolutely gapless.

I always thicknessed all my top stash to .140" for stickering, storage, deflection testing and joining. I found .140" to go fine with the tape method but you do have to check that center seam as soon as laying things flat and be quick about it too with HHG.

Before I got sick of building and the dust didn't agree with me much I built in batches of four. With the tape method I did not need a jig to join plates meaning that I could join four tops all at once and set them aside. For other things depending on jigs such as side bending it always slowed me way down because of the dependency on jigs and of course I only had one bender.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clay S. wrote:
"I taped a few guitars and liked the simplicity of it, but there were times when the plates wouldn't be perfectly flat along the joint, which made gluing thinner plates impossible for me. "

Using slightly thicker plates with the tape method solves two problems - fibers torn out by tape removal and any slight misalignment of the plates is removed when the plates are (semi) final thicknessed after the glue has fully cured. I like to check the stiffness as I sand to thickness.

But unfortunately not always possible. I had a great Italian top I wound up not being able to use. It was just too thin (previous owner) when I tried to glue it up.

The tape method certainly works, it's just not my preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

doncaparker wrote:
I'm uneasy about the idea of using hot hide glue with a ropes and wedges jig (i.e., the LMI jig or any homemade version). I am just imagining how much time it would take me to figure eight the ropes and slide in the wedges. But that's just me. Like I said above, the Cumpiano/Natelson method goes really fast after you set up the dry run; probably less than a full minute. I'm happy with my tailored version of it until something better comes along, and nothing has so far.

I hear you. It's actually pretty quick unless the ropes are unnecessarily long. Since HHG pulls itself tight (the proper term is escaping me), it should only take a few quick taps of the wedges.

I use Tightbond, but used to be an HHG guy. I would want to be prepared (have things laid out), but wouldn't worry about timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
HHG works fine for either method. I use the LMI jig and HHG. I warm the plates with a heat lamp - I warm most everything that way when using HHG. Anyway, plenty of open time to get the ropes cinched and the wedges tapped in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

Used the tape method on back and top a few days ago. Seems to have worked just fine:) really simple.

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Hesh (Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
SnowManSnow wrote:
Used the tape method on back and top a few days ago. Seems to have worked just fine:) really simple.

Yup and nothing to store or build either. It reminds me of using go-bars where it's highly possible that way back when long sticks were used in caves as go-bars. Simple is often very effective!

One of the things that I like the most about the tape method is that I can see the entire joint and examine it closely (except under the tape) before calling it a day and having to live with the result.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
SnowManSnow wrote:

Yup and nothing to store or build either. It reminds me of using go-bars where it's highly possible that way back when long sticks were used in caves as go-bars. Simple is often very effective!

One of the things that I like the most about the tape method is that I can see the entire joint and examine it closely (except under the tape) before calling it a day and having to live with the result.

It appears everything was jointed correctly:) now to wait for my drum sander and take some off to see what the wood will look like:)

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post (total 2): James Orr (Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:03 pm) • Hesh (Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:59 am)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
doncaparker wrote:
I'm uneasy about the idea of using hot hide glue with a ropes and wedges jig (i.e., the LMI jig or any homemade version). I am just imagining how much time it would take me to figure eight the ropes and slide in the wedges. But that's just me. Like I said above, the Cumpiano/Natelson method goes really fast after you set up the dry run; probably less than a full minute. I'm happy with my tailored version of it until something better comes along, and nothing has so far.

Heat gun could be used on a HHG jointed top using the ropes and wedges clamping jig to ensure any gelled glue is reheated?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"Heat gun could be used on a HHG jointed top using the ropes and wedges clamping jig to ensure any gelled glue is reheated?"

Probably- if you were careful and didn't "cook" the glue. Some heat guns run at 1100 degrees F.

Doing a few dry runs with ropes and wedges might give the necessary proficiency for using HHG.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
. . . or I could just keep doing what already works just fine, and save my "trying new things" time and energy for a different task that is more in need of improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Clay S. wrote:
"Heat gun could be used on a HHG jointed top using the ropes and wedges clamping jig to ensure any gelled glue is reheated?"

Probably- if you were careful and didn't "cook" the glue. Some heat guns run at 1100 degrees F.

Doing a few dry runs with ropes and wedges might give the necessary proficiency for using HHG.

Good point, but my Dewalt is adjustable, goes down to 50 C (perfect for HHG) at the tip. less an inch or two away from it.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.