Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
Focus: Build
I don't normally do repairs but I just had this happen while removing a top. All the bracing seems in tact and fine except for the brace below the X-Brace by the tail block which I'll remove sand and re-attach. The soundboard seam failed with heat application while removing the top. Any advice on the best way to salvage this top? I won't be selling this guitar but I may gift it to a friend or family.

Now that the soundboard is off I've cleaned everything up, sanded the rim etc. If I have to re-top I'm ok with salvaging the rosette but would rather not have to. The top has not been trimmed to match the sides yet so I have some room to attach a couple pieces to assist in clamping it back together. Is this a stupid idea or what?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thank you! A common sense thread...no B/S or kute politiking...
Let us not forget air conditioning. I still have to run a humidifier in the summer because of A/C.
AND!! Let this whole thread be a warning to you that don't humidify and de-humidify.
You cannot build a reliable guitar without 24hr control.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm assuming what happened is that I should have used steam with the iron? Seems like it dried right out and now the joint doesn't want to go back together- not going to build force into it. Nice mastergrade Sitka soundboard going to waste unless I can figure out a creative way to salvage it. Doubt it though the rosette is already oversized. Oh well- live and learn. I probably should have asked how to remove a top before doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
fingerstyle1978 wrote:
I'm assuming what happened is that I should have used steam with the iron? Seems like it dried right out and now the joint doesn't want to go back together- not going to build force into it. Nice mastergrade Sitka soundboard going to waste unless I can figure out a creative way to salvage it. Doubt it though the rosette is already oversized. Oh well- live and learn. I probably should have asked how to remove a top before doing it.

Joey, you might be SOL due to shrinkage. It probably can't be reversed permanently. You could probably rehumidify it and it might look OK for awhile but would likely shrink back again. Steam might have helped, but I don't have any direct experience with it for top removal. If it's not to be sold, maybe a little creative inlay? Or use it on a smaller keeper guitar.

Your problem illustrates what happens when we bake tops. In the extreme dryness of an oven, the wood loses moisture and shrinks. After it cools and its moisture content recovers, it will expand again but not all the way back to its original size. Well seasoned tops will be more stable with humidity changes.

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: fingerstyle1978 (Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
JF took the words out of my mouth. I picked up a Psychro-Dyne psychrometers, dirt cheap on ebay a few years back , and there are several on there now even cheaper. Best way I have found to calibrate my 2 Abbeons.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pat Foster wrote:
fingerstyle1978 wrote:

Joey, you might be SOL due to shrinkage. It probably can't be reversed permanently. You could probably rehumidify it and it might look OK for awhile but would likely shrink back again. Steam might have helped, but I don't have any direct experience with it for top removal. If it's not to be sold, maybe a little creative inlay? Or use it on a smaller keeper guitar.

Your problem illustrates what happens when we bake tops. In the extreme dryness of an oven, the wood loses moisture and shrinks. After it cools and its moisture content recovers, it will expand again but not all the way back to its original size. Well seasoned tops will be more stable with humidity changes.

Pat

Thanks I've pulled the rosette and have another top ready to go. A shame for sure but thankfully Alaska specialty woods has very good prices on silky mastergrade sitka, thanks to that fact I have another one handy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Gets easier once you make the tough/right decision and dive in, eh? [:Y:]

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Good call. Sucks but I have done it several times; my first size 0 which was way overbuilt and then another for a restoration - it gets easier after you've done one or two. I've got one of my early guitars on the bench now for a refinish and I have already decided it's going to get a new top too. It's a good guitar, except for the top, and it will be worth the effort to make it right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Make sure u post some repair process photos!