Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Hello,

I'm following Robbie O'Brien's French polishing video. I've got through multiple build and leveling phases on the back of the instrument. I'm happy with the amount of finish on it and it looks good and level. I used 800 grit paper to level between build phases (gasp! beehive).

Now I'm on to the spiriting off phase. What I find is that there are small streaks or ridges being left behind after spiriting off. I *think* this is coming from my muneca which is linen (recommended by Robbie). I got the tightest weave linen I could find. should I plan to level it after spiriting with 1000, 1500, 2000, etc....? Robbie doesn't do that in the video. I cannot figure out how he's getting a smooth glassy look after spiriting off with the linen muneca.

Ideas are appreciated.

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here is a pic, hopefully you can see the streaks. Almost looks like fine brush strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
bcombs510 wrote:

Here is a pic, hopefully you can see the streaks. Almost looks like fine brush strokes.

Looks like the muneca was too wet with alcohol or too much pressure used while it was wet. Alcohol instantly dissolves shellac so you can't use any pressure till the muneca is almost dry.

These users thanked the author Imbler for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
I agree with Mike's diagnosis, I follow Robbie's method and I can reduce the pad mark's by spending quite a bit a time in multiple spiriting off sessions polishing after the pad drys. As the pad drys I apply more more and pressure and keep going. Still, having said that my FP do not look like sanded and buffed sprayed lacquer. So your idea of a sanding schedule through buffing is a fine idea if you want a perfect looking finish. Cyndy Burton sands her french polish on the guitars she finishes for her husband Jeff Elliot, including a final sanding and buffing after the guitar has sat for awhile. She has been French Polishing guitars for a long time.

I personally like the pad marks (probably a bit self serving) but people know right away my classical guitars have been french polished.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 2): Imbler (Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks to you both! I'm experimenting on this uke with the hopes of FP'ing a couple dreads this winter. I'll light level with 1000 and try again with less pressure and wait for the pad to dry some more before adding pressure. If the results are the same I'll resort to the sandpaper.

John, regarding buffing.... I would take it up to 2K paper and then buff with Menzerna GW16 & Atol6. I know this is serious blasphemy, but... sound ok?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Not blasphemy at all. In his course, Tom Bills levels with 1000 grit twice during the process, and then does a final sanding with a fine grit of micromesh (can't remember off the top of my head which) before polishing with some compounds.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm not familiar with the video but I would say yes that looks like it's from your pad. Make sure you use a new cover for every spiriting off session. After I do a final leveling I spirit off then go right into glazing and use a new cover, or at least another new part of the same cover, every time and that has helped.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
bcombs510 wrote:
... John, regarding buffing.... I would take it up to 2K paper and then buff with Menzerna GW16 & Atol6. I know this is serious blasphemy, but... sound ok?
Sounds good to me!

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Denvir
City: Baltimore
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: K0K 1C0
Tom Bills suggests 8 sessions of fp, sanding with 1000 grit (lightly), 5-6 more sessions, then sanding with 32-3600 micromesh(wet), then another 5 sessions, as required. But the last sessions are very dry. Very dry. Let sit for a couple of days, then buff out by hand with Novus. Eugene Clark would then add, rub gently with your choice of buffing compound on toilet paper to really bring out the shine.

I've been following this schedule, and I'm really pleased with the results.

I'd also highly recommend Tom Bills' online course. I find it much more comprehensive than the Robbie OBrien one.

Tom Bills may be the single most anal guy I've ever seen in a course like this. And I mean that in a good way :-)

Steve

These users thanked the author JSDenvir for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:07 pm) • James Orr (Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
+1 on the Bills course. He is SUPER ANAL!!!! But the results are spectacular. You are free to be less anal and still get great results. I'm personally DONE with spraying. Just like Bills, I love the fact that I now have a finishing process that is peaceful, healthy, gets reliable results and doesn't need dedicated space. The only substitution is that I use Royal Lac on the last coats rather than adding in a little walnut oil.

As for your guitar, I don't mean to pile on but it looks like you were WAY to wet. I can't remember who told me this (I don't think Bills) but the pad should never feel "wet" on your skin when spiriting off. It should only feel "cool" with alcohol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

like everyone else, the pads too wet. But I will add that if the pad feels like it's grabbing, just walk away and come back later after things have had a time to flash off.
That's good to hear about the Bill's class.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks, all. I'll go back over it with a dry pad and see how it goes. My understanding is that I can go back to the spiriting step as often as is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 am 
Koa
Koa

I actually embrace those 'pad lines', in fact I deliberately include them. The 'trick' is to make them look as though it's intentional (so no whip marks!), it's done in very straight, slightly overlapping lines, always with the grain. It has the effect of scattering the light and results in a slightly softer looking finish. I'm afraid I'm not one for the extremely highly polished wood that looks like it's covered in a candy finish. Sorry but I know there are plenty of people who think that type of finish is the ultimate. To me, it's a very boring and cold looking finish.
If you want the flatter glossier finish then it's very easy to recover from where you are now. Those lines are nowhere near as prominent as they seem. If you left the finish as it is now you will find that it will change over the next month as the finish hardens and sinks a bit. That's also a method to get a flatter finish, allowing the finish to sink and harden before flattening it. How you finish with the pad and how soon you flatten the finish gives you control over the final effect - however temporary that may be.

These users thanked the author Michael.N. for the post: bcombs510 (Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 am)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

JSDenvir wrote:
Tom Bills suggests 8 sessions of fp, sanding with 1000 grit (lightly), 5-6 more sessions, then sanding with 32-3600 micromesh(wet), then another 5 sessions, as required. But the last sessions are very dry. Very dry. Let sit for a couple of days, then buff out by hand with Novus. Eugene Clark would then add, rub gently with your choice of buffing compound on toilet paper to really bring out the shine.

I'd also highly recommend Tom Bills' online course. I find it much more comprehensive than the Robbie OBrien one.

Tom Bills may be the single most anal guy I've ever seen in a course like this. And I mean that in a good way :-)

Steve

Is the monthly subscription the only way to access this course? I don't really want to sign up for 30 bucks a month. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
bcombs510 wrote:
JSDenvir wrote:

Steve

Is the monthly subscription the only way to access this course? I don't really want to sign up for 30 bucks a month. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes he is hoping you do the gym membership thing where you forget to cancel, or maybe it takes you four months to actually finish a guitar and you keep going back. But there is nothing stopping you from quitting the program once you have gotten through the course.

If you do sign up I recommend having a guitar ready to finish and work along side him. I took good notes, but once you cancel your subscription you can't go back and re-watch a step. Fortunately I had a guitar ready before the month was up and was able to go through it again guitar in hand.

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

I can second the Bills course. Tons of useful info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: bcombs510 (Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

SnowManSnow wrote:
I can second the Bills course. Tons of useful info

Yeah, I got my Tom Bills starter kit today from Amazon.

I can't believe how much that guy looks like Patrick Dempsey in Can't Buy Me Love. I can see him on a riding mower driving to his shop.

Seriously though, he's like the zen master of guitar making videos.

The audio quality is good and the level of detail is quite good as well. I've watched the relevant parts of the course and will start a body with oil session this evening.

Oh, and don't forget the Bounty paper towels. Being from Cincinnati, the HQ for Proctor and Gamble, I feel I owe it to him to try to get him an introduction to their marketing department. He needs a sponsorship. :D

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: SmilinBuddha (Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:12 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
rlrhett wrote:
If you do sign up I recommend having a guitar ready to finish and work along side him. I took good notes, but once you cancel your subscription you can't go back and re-watch a step. Fortunately I had a guitar ready before the month was up and was able to go through it again guitar in hand.

There are always work-arounds...

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:53 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just finished up the first body + oil session. So far it's going ok. I was most certainly working with things too wet before. Way too wet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Looks incredible!

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Looks great Brad!!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Looking good Brad!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: bcombs510 (Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Parag
Last Name: Soni
City: Vadodara
State: Gujarat
Zip/Postal Code: 390007
bcombs510 wrote:
Hello,

I'm following Robbie O'Brien's French polishing video. I've got through multiple build and leveling phases on the back of the instrument. I'm happy with the amount of finish on it and it looks good and level. I used 800 grit paper to level between build phases (gasp! beehive).

Now I'm on to the spiriting off phase. What I find is that there are small streaks or ridges being left behind after spiriting off. I *think* this is coming from my muneca which is linen (recommended by Robbie). I got the tightest weave linen I could find. should I plan to level it after spiriting with 1000, 1500, 2000, etc....? Robbie doesn't do that in the video. I cannot figure out how he's getting a smooth glassy look after spiriting off with the linen muneca.

Ideas are appreciated.

Brad

Final
Wet sending with Walnut Oil with 2000 and 3000 grit paper after that apply Novus 2 as a final coat with fresh munneca and make sure do not use much, only one drop is enough for whole body.

I am not a master of french polish but I heard this from some groups

These users thanked the author luthierPS for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Still coming along, I've got the second set of body coats on. I'll hit it with micromesh after the weekend.

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: James Orr (Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:15 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

klooker wrote:
rlrhett wrote:

There are always work-arounds...

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/

I'm not sure we should be advocating pirating copyrighted material from fellow hard-working luthiers.

These users thanked the author Ken Jones for the post: James Orr (Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:15 pm)