Post subject: Re: Show your machines!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Stuart
Last Name: Gort
Focus: Build
kencierp wrote:
Stuart -- your shop is too clean and organized how do you get anything done?

Haha...I just saw this.

I hadn't yet done ANY work when I snapped that shot....it was taken RIGHT after I first got the shop together.

After a few years....I can vouch that the bigger the shop...the bigger the mess.

StuMusic

These users thanked the author Stuart Gort for the post: Durero (Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Here's my CNC, self built with belt drives and THK rails, running Mach3 and Vectric Software. The cutting area is roughly 20'' x 36''. I've since built a control panel in front of the monitor with command buttons which emulate the keyboard and mouse, and include switches for the LED light in the dust boot, a red laser cross hair and the router speed control and E-Stop. see 2nd pic. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.Thanks, Vinny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:54 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Brandon
Last Name: Feils
City: PHOENIX
State: AZ
Zip/Postal Code: 85016-6417
I ordered this machine back in june or july but just now getting around to setting it up. Still have to mount the cable chains and the table plates.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:59 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Alexander
bfeils wrote:
I ordered this machine back in june or july but just now getting around to setting it up. Still have to mount the cable chains and the table plates.

I follow you on instagram. I have been waiting to see more pictures of this build!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Brandon
Last Name: Feils
City: PHOENIX
State: AZ
Zip/Postal Code: 85016-6417
AlexanderJamesGuitar wrote:
bfeils wrote:

I follow you on instagram. I have been waiting to see more pictures of this build!

Oh yeah!, I'm following you too. I saw that you were upgrading your electronics with some ez-servos. You'll have to let me know what you think of them when it's up and running. I'm just using some nema 23 steppers and a mx3660. Hopefully it will be good enough for what I want to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:59 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Allan
City: Ballarat
State: Victoria
I'm a "cheat" too!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:44 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

demonx, is that a blurry customs ATC spindle? How do you like it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:28 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

demonx, is that a blurry customs ATC spindle? How do you like it?

Yes it is.

The spindle works fine. The tool changer is a massive waste of money. Doesn't work. I didn't deal with blurry, the engineer who built the machine did. He had to to write their code as it was hack job/clunky. The spindle arrived wired backwards. The tool changer itself is a piece of unreliable crap and I have to manually pop the tool holder out with a screwdriver every tool change as it doesn't release itself properly. Blurry knew this is a issue but still sell them anyway. Very dodgy.

I've never dealt with them, but from what I've heard from the engineer, they're dodgy as. This machine cost me a fortune, the spindle/tool changer is its weak point and I wouldn't be looking blurry again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Good to know demonx. I have talked with Blurry Customs a couple times and their communication is brutal. They seem to talk a lot but don`t back up any of their products. Buyer beware? I think so...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:17 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Good to know demonx. I have talked with Blurry Customs a couple times and their communication is brutal. They seem to talk a lot but don`t back up any of their products. Buyer beware? I think so...

Well let's put it into dollars, I think their kit was six grand or something like that. This was meant to be their best of the best. After it arrived the spindle didn't even work, they had to replace it. It's just a Chinese made unit they buy in and sell as their own.

The tool holders are great quality, but blurry don't make them. They're made in USA, but blurry machine the end pins. The end pins weren't right, blurry said they knew and sent out new ones which were even worse! My engineer had to machine his own. The blurry script/code to run it was crap, my engineer had to write his own.

The machine required upgrades to accommodate having a toolchanger, not blurries fault, but the end dollar for me was eighteen grand to try and get this tool changer working which still doesn't bloody work unless I use a screw driver to manually pop it out every single toolchange. The machine all up owes me over fifty grand now, once dust extraction and tool holders are added etc. We took a risk on blurry and it bit us in the arse big time. It's not my fault, it's not my engineers fault. It's the piss poor product and their service from what I've been told was just as bad once they had their cash in hand.

In their videos they show smooth tool changes. But as soon as the tool has cut for a few minutes it heats up and can't release. They have a video showing a tool change after cutting, but I'm willing to bet they calculated how long it could cut without heating up enough to not work. I get the impression they're very dodgy. All their other videos show tool changes without any cutting to heat up the tool holder which is when it seizes.

Last edited by demonx on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:54 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Wow. That totally makes sense about their videos.
It is unfortunate that the company runs in that way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Riedmiller
State: WI
dzsmith wrote:
CNC would give me the precision to replicate a design and tweak features for experimental improvements. I think it would be a perfect tool for defining a perfect neck profile that I could not do by hand, and be able to repeat it.
I see it as a tool used for making continuous improvements on a design.
I mostly use hand cutting tools these days, and I certainly do not consider using a power router or sander, or CNC as cheating.
Just my thoughts,
Dan

CNC does have a place in acoustic guitar building for some. After hand carving a couple dozen guitar necks you definitely will find your mind drifting in that direction "gee it sure would be nice to have one of those suckers right about now". But consider this- a hand crafted musical instrument has its own personality, lent to it by the hands and soul of its creator.
I use a few templates with routers for some operations in the build, especially for building moulds, etc. precision is most important for that.
Years ago I owned a Taylor guitar. I paid about a grand for it. Koa with a Sitka top. I thought it was a great sounding guitar. The build quality was almost perfect. I took it to a luthier to have the action fine tuned. He strummed a few chords up and down the neck looked over at me and said
" one thing about Taylor's, they are consistent." I didn't fully understand what he meant til I'd built a guitar, and thought to shove my inspection mirror into the Taylor to look at the "scalloped bracing".
Figured I could learn something. I did. They were all consistently perfect having been cut by a robot. Non of the braces had been fine tuned with a well sharpened chisel.
Bottom line I guess is what does "hand built" mean to you? To me it means flesh and blood, body and soul, mind and intellect. All those working together to create a unique instrument. No two the same. Each one demonstrating a builders triumph over unique challenges offered by the natural materials chosen for each particular instrument.
I take a lot of pride in each neck I shape by hand, and the fact that with each one I find myself becoming more proficient at it.
A hand built guitar has the markings of the builders soul in it.
I don't want my job taken away by a robot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Riedmiller
State: WI
I am posting an apology for what I now realize is called hijacking a thread. Sorry. I am new to this. I will save the thoughts for the appropriate thread.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jamie
Last Name: Unden
City: Lakeside
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92040
Mine started out as a kit, but I modified it a lot since then, adding larger motors, 5-start screws, anti-backlash nuts and better bearings.
Attachment:
CNC Rebuild 015.JPG

Then I built a sound dampening booth for it.
Attachment:
CNC Enclosure1.jpg

Attachment:
CNC Enclosure2.jpg

Here's a little thing I did with it.
Attachment:
Body done.jpg

The CNC allowed me to design and cut integrated braces - part of the actual top, not glued on.
Attachment:
Top Backside.jpg

These users thanked the author cbrviking for the post: Durero (Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:59 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Very cool. What kit did you start out with?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jamie
Last Name: Unden
City: Lakeside
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92040
It was a company called DynaCNC. It had single-start screws and a goofy bearing setup. I believe they are now out of business.

These users thanked the author cbrviking for the post: Durero (Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:05 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:35 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Here's my K2 3925. It now lives in its own room.