Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: David
Last Name: Hurd
City: Placerville
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95667
Focus: Build
Another member posted a few photos of his hand made dremel table saw for cutting purfling. I was inspired to copy his idea. Here are a few photos of my attempt. I used 1/2'” Baltic birch plywood. The overall base size is 15” by 8”. The cutting table is 8” by 8”. The two table support beams are 2” by 8”. I carved a Dremel support collar out of a piece of scrap walnut 1” by 2” by 4”. The last photo shows the Dremel Model 670 mini saw attachment after I cut off the cutting guard assembly. I carved out the outline of the body of the mini saw attachment in the birch plywood and CA glued it into the wood outline. I do realize when the gear assembly wears out, it will be some work to replace it with a new assembly. Perhaps someone has a better idea for attaching the saw assembly to the wood frame for quick removal. I found a plastic box (7” by 7” by 2”) at Blue Collar Supply in Sacramento for $3, and cut it up for the cutting top. The plastic box had these interior plastic guides that worked great for fence guides. You can also see the plastic box had right angle edge guides on the underside of the plastic that made perfect alignment guides for fitting the plastic cutting top onto the Baltic wood top. The saw cuts nicely and I quickly found that a strip of wood placed over the purfling sheet to be cut acts as a good guide to hold down and feed the sheet through the cut. See the first photo. I have additional photos if anyone is interested.

Dave Hurd

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Focus: Build
That's cool, David.
I made a similar dremel table with a grinding disk for cutting and sanding pearl.
I wondered what I was supposed to do with the saw disk in my kit, I may make a jig like yours for cutting binding.
Dan