Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jack
Last Name: George
City: Levittown
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19054
Focus: Build
Nice work Beth!, Looks great. I love the Figured Mahaogany. Did you build your bridge jig for cutting the saddle slot? I am working on my first sratch built and need to a build some more jigs. Thanks For any info. Jack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Thanks, Jack! The guitar is seeing a lot of use, as it is on tour with it's owner right now. He's really happy with it :)

I did build the saddle slot jig. (picture within the thread) The router rides on the "rails" formed by the two pieces of wood. The wing nuts tighten the end blocks to stop the router at the ends of the slot. I use a plunge router and make several passes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Neil
Last Name: Kwak
State: PA
I'm late to the thread so sorry for the zombie bump but I wanted to congratulate you on this build. I really like your tonewood selection, though I couldn't make the video work so I can't comment on the tone. I especially like the bloodwood laminate in the neck. Normally I don't like that purple wood but it works.

BTW, I'm also considering on working with ziricote on my next build. Probably just for the rosette with ebony for binding. How did the zirocote bend for you though?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
nkwak wrote:
I'm late to the thread so sorry for the zombie bump but I wanted to congratulate you on this build. I really like your tonewood selection, though I couldn't make the video work so I can't comment on the tone. I especially like the bloodwood laminate in the neck. Normally I don't like that purple wood but it works.

BTW, I'm also considering on working with ziricote on my next build. Probably just for the rosette with ebony for binding. How did the zirocote bend for you though?

Thanks, Neil! The Zircote binding went very well using a fox-like bender. Something I learned when I had some problems with ebony binding early on was to be sure you have enough heat for the bend. I bent slowly (probably 3-5 minutes at about 300 degrees between a sandwish of dampened kraft paper, foil and slats (lots of ways to do it but haven't had the breakage problem since I've been doing it this way). Good luck. You've got some nice early projects going!