Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

Post subject: new member here!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Wehrle
City: sullivan
State: il
Zip/Postal Code: 61951
Focus: Build
I'm really psyched to be on this forum with all of you. I'm a beginner, but at age 37, have been playing since 10. A couple questions, I am planning to replace the plane-jane headstock veneer with ebony and binding it with snakewood. And since Martin won't supply replacement decals, Ill have the old logo that runs down the center of the headstock inlayed in gold. I also want to replace the bridge w/a stauffer pyramid bridge. My question is, I was told by a repairman that it would be really dumb to do that because it would depreciate my guitars value. It's a 000C1-E so it's not exactly high-end, although I've been told by a couple of people that they've never heard that model sound as good as mine. It really has a beautiful woody tone!

Thanks, sorry for the ramble
Matthew

Post subject: Re: new member here!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Welcome to the fold. You might consider picking up some cheap guitars on craigs list or a flea market to practice on before you attack your Martin. Replacing the head stock veneer will not be the easiest thing to do. It will require re-finishing, of course replacing the bridge will require re-finishing the top, most likely. Get some experience on some things you don't care about first.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually a very experienced woodworker w/quite a bit of finishing experience. If I read correctly, aren't you the gentelman who french polishes? I have experience doing this w/furniture, but would love to see your technique on guitars.

B. Howard wrote:
Welcome to the fold. You might consider picking up some cheap guitars on craigs list or a flea market to practice on before you attack your Martin. Replacing the head stock veneer will not be the easiest thing to do. It will require re-finishing, of course replacing the bridge will require re-finishing the top, most likely. Get some experience on some things you don't care about first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
mreed wrote:
I'm really psyched to be on this forum with all of you. I'm a beginner, but at age 37, have been playing since 10. A couple questions, I am planning to replace the plane-jane headstock veneer with ebony and binding it with snakewood. And since Martin won't supply replacement decals, Ill have the old logo that runs down the center of the headstock inlayed in gold. I also want to replace the bridge w/a stauffer pyramid bridge. My question is, I was told by a repairman that it would be really dumb to do that because it would depreciate my guitars value. It's a 000C1-E so it's not exactly high-end, although I've been told by a couple of people that they've never heard that model sound as good as mine. It really has a beautiful woody tone!

Thanks, sorry for the ramble
Matthew

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum and guitar building. A couple of comments - take them for what they are worth.
1- this is the kit subforum, mostly intended for people building kit guitars (StewMac, LMI, etc). Your question would fit the general building forum and get a lot more responses there.
2 - not sure exactly why you want to modify your Martin but it will be a lot of work and will definitely reduce its value. As I remember the 000C1E it is a relatively simple satin finished guitar with simple binding and rosewood fretboard/bridge - it probably has a rosewood headplate to match. Replacing that with ebony and binding it is going to be a lot of work (and in my humble opinion) will probably clash with the reset of the guitar
3 - Replacing the bridge with a different shape is definitely not easy. You will have a significant tan mark to deal with, as well as intonation and your UST. You'll probably need to plug and redrill pin holes - be sure to check the string spacing, it might be different. Also be careful that you get (or make) the bridge the same height, if different you could have neck angle problems.
4 - I'm pretty sure your 000C1E has nitro finish - again, that is one of the easiest to repair or over spray providing you are set up to do it (paint booth, respirator, yadda yadda). Matching the satin might be hard to get right. French polish is a great finish, but probably not for what you are talking about doing.

Not trying to spoil your plans, but the things that you are talking about - binding, inlay, making and setting the bridge and refinishing, are some of the most difficult tasks of lutherie - don't risk your nice Martin learning how.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
mreed wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually a very experienced woodworker w/quite a bit of finishing experience. If I read correctly, aren't you the gentelman who french polishes? I have experience doing this w/furniture, but would love to see your technique on guitars.

B. Howard wrote:
Welcome to the fold. You might consider picking up some cheap guitars on craigs list or a flea market to practice on before you attack your Martin. RReplacing the head stock veneer will not be the easiest thing to do. It will require re-finishing, of course replacing the bridge will require re-finishing the top, most likely. Get some experience on some things you don't care about first.

Yes I French polish. I also spray lacquers and poly. I do a good bit of finish work and repair for other local shops as well. I spent my life building cabinetry and furniture. Guitars are a bit different, much finer detail and scrutinized much more.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I went over to the construction board and places two posts. Not one person responded. Quite a few views, but no responses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Welcome to the zoo my friend . Look forward to seeing some of your work . [:Y:]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

Post subject: new member here!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Doug
Last Name: Balzer
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
mreed wrote:
I went over to the construction board and places two posts. Not one person responded. Quite a few views, but no responses.

I went and read your post. You say you have a question but then did not ask a question. Perhaps others are confused as am I.

"My question is, I was told by a repairman that it would be really dumb to do that because it would depreciate my guitars value. It's a 000C1-E so it's not exactly high-end, although I've been told by a couple of people that they've never heard that model sound as good as mine. It really has a beautiful woody tone!"

Don't let fear or common sense stop you from trying to build something

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:10 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I'm sorry for not being concise....my question was, should I go along with my project that involves dyeing the rosewood bridge and fretboard ebony. Also, at some point, the bridge will be replaced with a stauffer pyramid bridge. Since it has a larger footprint than my current belly bridge, there shouldn't be a sun-tan issue. I also want to steam up the current plain-jain peg head veneer, and replace it with tortise and the old school inlay. The guy I talked to made a big deal out of it losing it's value. First: How much value would it have in the first place?? Second: I'm never selling it. I just really want to take this plain-jane looking guitar that I love and make it a thing of beauty. I am an accomplished woodworker, so it's not like I'm some guy that doesn't know the processes. If I can find a ooo or om kit, cheap enough, I would love to start on that.
Cheers
Matthew

Doug Balzer wrote:
mreed wrote:

I went and read your post. You say you have a question but then did not ask a question. Perhaps others are confused as am I.

"My question is, I was told by a repairman that it would be really dumb to do that because it would depreciate my guitars value. It's a 000C1-E so it's not exactly high-end, although I've been told by a couple of people that they've never heard that model sound as good as mine. It really has a beautiful woody tone!"