Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Focus: Build
Very nice. Especially using salvaged wood. I am using Local Tennessee wood for my build, most I cut off my place.

So you compensate the nut then the saddle?

Looking forward to hearing this guitar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Wud, the joint is a double tenon, pic on my website here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_innovation_summary_neck_joint.html

Clinchriver, good luck with your build! Regarding the intonation, there's a bit more about it here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_innovation_summary_nut__saddle_compensation.html

I establish the nut compensation for the strings/set-up etc. I want using a computer program that I wrote, which also delivers an active string length. I install the intonated nut, string the guitar, let it settle, then measure off the active string length and compensate the saddle. Somewhat mathematically intense, but works really well. I go through a few less mathematically intense methods in the book which give pretty good answers, rather better than the standard 12th fret method!

Still working on getting a recording done...

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Thanks for the Link . I like that neck joint . You explination on the site makes perfect sense to me . I may try a version of that as well one day . Great build thread here !

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Tom
Last Name: Walters
City: Kaministiquia
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: P0T1X0
Trevor,

Let me add my congratulations on your recycled guitar. I was fascinated by the bracing ...particularly the top. Did you laminate the top curved braces and bend them?

How did you come up with this bracing pattern and how does it sound?

Thanks again for posting this build.

Tom
:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:22 am 
Koa
Koa

BaldEagle55 wrote:
I was fascinated by the bracing ...particularly the top. Did you laminate the top curved braces and bend them?

Hi Tom. The braces are laminated and each laminate is heat bent first.
BaldEagle55 wrote:
How did you come up with this bracing pattern...

It's just a way of bracing with more efficient use of material; basically putting the material where the stiffness is required then dissipating the load effectively over the whole soundboard. It was inspired by seeing the way some sails were reinforced (but some people have struggled to see the connection!)
BaldEagle55 wrote:
...and how does it sound?

Well, there's quite a few people tried out falcate bracing now, and many have said they've built their best guitars using this bracing system. I designed this style of bracing particularly for my "steel string concert classical" guitars, which are very responsive finger-picking instruments, and I think this type of bracing style is best suited to that kind of guitar. I can get very even response at high volume over all the strings with this bracing. I would, however, advise that there's a lot more going on in a good guitar than just the bracing system.

These users thanked the author Trevor Gore for the post: Al Pepling (Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:00 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 am 
Koa
Koa

I've been promising to put up a sound file for The Shed guitar for a while now. I've been messing around with some new software (Pro Tools) and an MBox and I've got a first take, but it's little more than a sound check. It's only me playing (so don't get excited!) and I've now broken a fingernail (violin) so, being a finger-picker, it'll be a while before I get a second take up and running.

Anyway, I thought I'd put a peg in the ground just in case I don't get round to "Take 2". The left channel is recorded using a condenser mic and the right channel is the K&Ks direct into the MBox. After MP3-ing, both channels sound pretty similar, but they are different!. If you listen carefully (needs headphones) you can hear the rain on the Shed's tin roof on the left channel with the K&Ks picking up me scruffling around on the right channel.

Different mic placement and some impedance matching for the K&Ks will likely produce a more realistic result, so that's what "Take 2" will be about if I get to it.

Oh well, that was the plan! Just got a message "The extension mp3 is not allowed". Where to from here? Perhaps here:

http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3842&start=25#p50295

...where there's a will...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jason
Last Name: McGowan
City: Corinth
State: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 76210
Wish I could "sound check" like that Trevor, sounds amazing. What is the song that you're playing?

United States of America, looks like another silent night
As we're sung to sleep by philosophies that save the trees and kill the children....

Casting Crowns

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

Jmc2010 wrote:
What is the song that you're playing?

It's the old folk tune, Scarborough Fair, (Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...). Simon and Garfunkel did a version which this picking pattern is similar to. It's usually played with a capo at 7, but here there's no capo at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
Nice playing!
I'm trying to record a sound clip for a recent build,
and it's really hard.
Especially when it's just a bare bones guitar.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2