Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I don't know what possessed me to type this web address in again, but here I am...

Last visit was: October 30th, 2009, 4:03PM

It's difficult to believe that it's been 2 years since I've visited this forum. It seems like just yesterday I was scouring it on a daily basis looking up everything I could. My first (and last) build was certainly frustrating and plagued with mistakes. Maybe I was too ambitious, but some time afterward I simply came to the conclusion that despite the fact that I love hearing and playing guitars and I have a great appreciation for them as an art form, this was just not my path and it certainly wasn't my talent. Perhaps I gave up too easily or had too high hopes for someone who was making his first foray into woodworking, but I don't feel like I could go through it again...

At any rate, I suppose I'll get right to the point before I depress or discourage too many people. I have two books in front of me right now:

Lutherie Tools (Guild of American Luthiers Resource Book One)
Lutherie Woods and Steel String Guitars (Guild of American Luthiers Resource Book Two)

I also know I have a few tools with 2 years of dust probably on them in my basement that I was hoping to use for my 2nd build that I never started. I'll update this post tomorrow after I've checked, but one of them is definitely an unused bending iron (I forget whether it was StewMac or LMI). The reason I'm posting here is because I figure this is where newbies are more likely to hang out and I don't want my own personal failure to be a complete loss and I'd like to help someone out if I can.

THIS STUFF IS FREE

Email me if you're interested at: michaeljin@nyc.rr.com
Subject Line: OLF - Your Member Name
Just write a short explanation of what your inspired you to explore this craft. No need for an essay and I will not read any essays either. I just want to get a glimpse of who you are.

I will select a few people, announce "winners" and make arrangements to mail some stuff out in a few days. All I ask is that you actually make use of this stuff since I never did.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: chicagoland
State: illinois
Focus: Build
hello
what a sad post. maybe you should reconsider?
anyway, i am definitely(and grudgingly) in the market for a side bender, after a few attempts at DIY...i sent you an email. i am not looking for free stuff, but i do appreciate bargains, and i will definitely give it a good home
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michael,

It's always sad when someone finds that something they think they would love to do appears out of reach for their skills. I'm reminded of the character Taran in Lloyd Alexander's book "Taran Wanderer" who starts out on a journey to find something and discovers much more than they sought. And although the one thing he found that he wanted to do was out of his reach, all the other things he found turned out to serve him better in life. But he was still able to find inspiration in that one thing. So maybe this won't be your vocation, but maybe it still could be a lifetime hobby. There is still much to learn and great people to hang out with and the reward of finding little accomplishments is very fulfilling. I too would say, don't give up entirely, but if you know you can't make a living at it, that doesn't discount it for having a great creative outlet to go to when you need it.

Best,

Don Williams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Email sent. Michael, we met before. I bought some stuff from you last year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi! Pick me! Pick me! [:Y:]

Seriously, I'd be happy to buy some stuff from you if the cash would help!

Hate to see you go and hate to see you give up on building!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
I have quit in the past and sold some of my stuff then later regretted it because the bug always comes back to me. I have probably bought some equipment three times. Unless you live in a little cramped apartment seriously reconsider and just store the stuff away in case you get the bug again....Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: John
Last Name: A
email sent -
by the way - I don't suggest leaving the hobby - I would try a different approach - perhaps start by building a smaller ukulele kit or other type of instrument. Or you can try building with less expensive woods, so there is no pressure to get it right the first time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Quakertown
State: Pa
Email Sent.... :cry:

I would try some more. Something small and keep working at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Email sent as well. Life is short. If building guitars is not bringing you joy, I understand why you would want to dedicate your time to some other pursuit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

In the meanwhile, I could put a bending iron to good use immediately.